Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate not staying open

Kevintube1979

Kevintube1979

Kevpb
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
I think this may have been mentioned before however I cant find a solution...my new T6 ocean has the VW bike rack fitted it stays open with just the rack fitted however with just, for example, a couple of towels on it (micro-fibre) it slams shut which is very inconvenient and very dangerous,the struts are the max strength ones for the California,has anybody else experienced this?

could it possibly be a warranty job?

What is written on the struts: 1250N or 950 (or something?).

They need to be 1250N. If not, they must install the right ones.
If they are 1250N and the boot doesn't stay open with just the rack without bikes, then there is something wrong with them.
Note that when it gets colder, my struts struggle slightly to open the boot fully. Then I have to push the lid up, and then it stays open. Oh, I don't have a rack on the lid. When in full sun, without rack and without the chairs in the lid, then the lid shoots open, so I have to guide the lid to open. Then it is also a tough job to close the lid again.

Might be the temperature that is causing this momentarily "problem".
Be sure you have the same issue in hot weather. Otherwise it is a normal behaviour.

What is written on the struts: 1250N or 950 (or something?).

They need to be 1250N. If not, they must install the right ones.
If they are 1250N and the boot doesn't stay open with just the rack without bikes, then there is something wrong with them.
Note that when it gets colder, my struts struggle slightly to open the boot fully. Then I have to push the lid up, and then it stays open. Oh, I don't have a rack on the lid. When in full sun, without rack and without the chairs in the lid, then the lid shoots open, so I have to guide the lid to open. Then it is also a tough job to close the lid again.

Might be the temperature that is causing this momentarily "problem".
Be sure you have the same issue in hot weather. Otherwise it is a normal behaviour.
Thanks for that Triplebee yes it states 1250N I believe but I will check again,there is definitely something wrong,I have to lift the entire weight of the tail gate each time and it rarely stays up its never a job to close it I just comes crashing down !

Then you'd better let it check and repair under warranty.
Good luck.

Back