Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Khyam Motordome Classic

S

Steverh

Afternoon All,

This is my first go as a new boy to the forum. We are looking for a drive away awning for the newly acquired '57 reg T5, and the Khyam Classic looks good. Relatively light and quick to put up for someone who's knees are getting creaky. There's not a lot of attraction in fiddling about with poles these days, and certainly don't want anything heavier to heave around.

The question is, in real life, is it as easy to put up as the promotional videos make out , and are you old hands happy with the awning.

As I write, I'm told the stock is on the high seas somewhere heading this way, so there's no great rush to buy.

Steve

Thanks, Californiaman, the only thing is that is a fair bit heavier on my bad back, and I need convincing that pump up is good.

Steve

Californiaman said:
In short, yes, it is about that easy.

Have to agree... we've had one for four years and it really is that easy.

That being said, we've stopped using it in the past couple of years and favour putting side panels on the wind out awning.

We got ours a couple of years ago from Ulli and californiacamping.de ... not cheap but VERY good

Has the advantage of packing down very small... disadvantage...not driveaway but we can put it up and down in less than 10 minutes if we're rushed.

Rgds

Mark

That's interesting, my wife was thinking along those lines for the occasions when we don't want the whole works set up. We have a Fiamma wind out, but it has the potential to make a brilliant spinnaker with a good puff of wind and I dread to think how much rainwater it would hold. I know it's not advisable to use it in those conditions, but as newcomers to all this, I wonder just how much actual use the wind out will get. Time will tell. I like your suggestion, although we still want a full drive away.
Steve

We have a Kyham and it is a good bit of kit. Once you get used to it and the connections you will have it up in no time. Downside maybe that it is easy to fill it!! Did we really need all that stuff we took to France! we are looking at going much lighter this year and will utilise the wind out a bit more along with a windbreak or two.

Have you considered a Quechua Base XL.

Great bit of kit, easy to use and very versatile.

Just so happen to have a brand new one for sale soon at a very reasonable price lol.. :crazy

I hadn't considered the Quechua, Carrg, but I've had a good look at the available info, and on balance, given what use we intend to put it to, I think we'll stick with the original idea. Thanks for the thought, and I'm sure you'll sell it easily.

Thanks to all who replied to my question, and we're now going with the Khyam Motordome Classic option. I've just heard that the latest shipment has arrived, so they are now available again. I got my order in, and it's cheaper than the pre Christmas price.

Steve

It was from Somerset Camping at the advertised price, as they were very helpful at my initial enquiry pre Christmas, but they said it would be dispatched from Khyam. I don't know about discount code, so if I could have got it cheaper - don't tell me!

I'd left my email on the ' we'll tell you when they come in ' facility on the website, and I got notified today. I suspected they'd sell fast.

Steve

Back