Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

last minute question about the South West England region

Nobody has mentioned hw narrow some of the roads might be, so just a practical tip from me is to be aware of that when planing routes and alternative options. But I'm afraid I don't have specific details...just wanted to make sure it's in your mind. Beware the idiots.
Definitely a good tip; just drove from Watford towards Didcot and already had some narrow roads.
We have already encountered some narrow and even very difficult roads during our travels in the UK.

Definitely a good tip; just drove from Watford towards Didcot and already had some narrow roads.
We have already encountered some narrow and even very difficult roads during our travels in the UK.
Be aware some minor roads in Cornwall are just about the width of the van with wing mirrors touching hedges either side :Nailbiting

Not funny when you meet oncoming vehicles

Enjoy the rest of your trip,

if you are going to go to more than one “National trust site” or some “English Heritage” sites it may be worth joining up as a member of the NT (at the first site) which may work out cheaper than paying individually at each.
NT members can book a free entry (in advance) at Stone henge , which is an English heritage site Offering free entry to pre booked NT members.

St. Michaels mount will be cheaper with NT memebership with the added bounds of free parking at most NT sites.

if you go to St.Michaels mount book it online b4 you go and check the tide times

Yes, some UK roads can be very narrow. This is a key reason why we went with a VW van rather than a big white. Even then it can be tight. To help with this we installed a sat nav into which one enters the dimensions of the van. The sat nav then says if it thinks one is taking a road that is too narrow or has a low bridge (our van is a high top). Yesterday I turned up a lane I often use in the Golf but the van sat nav said "do you really want to do this! The bridge ahead is narrower than the van" (using the dimensions I had entered). So watch out for narrow lanes in Cornwall and Devon - and other places.

Take an umbrella!
Yes, we have one standard with us in our van. And a rain jacket for me.
Already needed today in Oxford but luckily nice weather afterwards.

Yes, we have one standard with us in our van. And a rain jacket for me.
Already needed today in Oxford but luckily nice weather afterwards.
If you are still in Oxford make sure you don’t miss the Headington shark

If you are still in Oxford make sure you don’t miss the Headington shark
wow, just looked it up. We are now staying overnight close to Burnham-on-Sea and going tomorrow to some of the many recommendations we got here. Oxford was a first timer and we ate and drank well (in The Bear Inn) and visited Christ Church, Oxford university. That was impressive.
We will visit Oxford again because it tasted like more.

wow, just looked it up. We are now staying overnight close to Burnham-on-Sea and going tomorrow to some of the many recommendations we got here. Oxford was a first timer and we ate and drank well (in The Bear Inn) and visited Christ Church, Oxford university. That was impressive.
We will visit Oxford again because it tasted like more.
Great you found the Bear. Hope you were not wearing a tie

Thank you all for the tips; what a response, wonderful! I remember: Lizard point, pasties, Penzance, theatre, beautiful beaches, coves, harbours, pubs/beer, a mine, seafood/restaurants, gardens, St Michael's mountain, a lighthouse, beautiful views and we have binoculars to spot sea creatures. We’re are very curious :cool:
As you like castles, Tintagel is tremendous, and it’s modern footbridge (actually two
cantilevered piers) linking it again to the mainland is well worth stopping at.
https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/tintagel-castle/

I was fortunate enough to grow up in Mevagissey on the south coast, so we always stay just outside the village at Heligan campsite whenever we visit. Wonderful facilities, right next door to Heligan gardens and a decent walk or cycle down to Mevagissey. The Roseland peninsula is also a lovely area to explore although we haven't explored it much with the cali yet so cant comment on campsites around there. Good fun catching a water taxi's from St Mawes across to Falmouth for a lobster lunch!

What are “tiddie oggies” are they Dorest pasties. I remember the name, may not be the correct spelling, from the mid seventies when on holiday in Dorset?
Just Cornish slang for a pasty :)

Hello everyone: first of all a warm thank you for all the tips and advice; we are home in Bruges from Saturday evening and once again enjoyed your beautiful country.
After Windsor Castle and the Warner Bros studio in Watford, we visited a mate and then Christ Church in Oxford. We've never been to Oxford before and there's still so much to do so we'll be back.
And then: South West England: how beautiful! We could only do a fraction of all your recommendations, no problem: we will come back here too and I wrote down everything you all mentioned on a list of things to do.
The next time will be with the new coast (finally, completely unexpectedly delivered).
I couldn't think of a nicer last trip with our old van.
Greetings
Calibusje
A96D06A0-8BCD-47A5-B3F5-111970213409.jpeg
A72A611D-6568-4C1D-84C5-21698F823173.jpeg

Last edited:
Back