Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Oh dear! That’s really disappointing to hear but thank you for persisting with the updates and getting that info back to VWEO….looks like they are getting there but why oh why don’t they just black tape and stitch every seam?…I’m sure there will be a point in the future where we can genuinely say ‘ job done’ but clearly we are not quite there yet..but positively, the landscape is improving and there is no reason why an O6S will not arrive on the horizon one the failures have been fed back? Collecting my new van on Monday so will test and report back but certainly the rain this weekend is a very good real life test. …anyone else out there with O5S with experiences, good and bad this weekend with this lovely summer we are having ?

OK, so here's the result of last nights test...

All the black taped seams were good. No leaks detected except one single droplet near the bottom left of the front arch window, (see picture below)...

However, disappointingly, but as expected, the 2 front long vertical corner seams, (which are un-taped), leaked quite badly, (again see picture)...

It was approx 03:30 when I took this picture. The rain was moderate and constant with wind blowing at the front.

I have video too, but no idea how to upload it!?

Then at approx 04:30 the rain became quite heavy and the front bottom of the bellows, (where it attaches to the van), was leaking quite badly. I put down a load of kitchen towel, which did a good job of mopping it up, but it was a constant stream into the van at this point.

Again I have video, but can't seem to get it to upload. Apparently you can't upload MP4??

Anyway, overall I'd say that these 05S bellows are better than the 04S, as more seams are taped, but I just can't understand why they haven't taped the front and rear corner vertical seams too? And as such these continue to leak!

Also, I'm concerned with the bottom leaking in the way it did, but at this point the rain was really very heavy, so perhaps the outside front gutter was getting full and it was overflowing back into the van through the seal??

I have a call with Rhiannon from VWEO on Tuesday, so I'll update her with the findings and send her the pictures and videos.

Hopefully she will be able to pass the detailed information I have, back to the technical team, so they can get to work on the 06S. :)

View attachment 125738
Same place our 04S leaked.

OK, so here's the result of last nights test...

All the black taped seams were good. No leaks detected except one single droplet near the bottom left of the front arch window, (see picture below)...

However, disappointingly, but as expected, the 2 front long vertical corner seams, (which are un-taped), leaked quite badly, (again see picture)...

It was approx 03:30 when I took this picture. The rain was moderate and constant with wind blowing at the front.

I have video too, but no idea how to upload it!?

Then at approx 04:30 the rain became quite heavy and the front bottom of the bellows, (where it attaches to the van), was leaking quite badly. I put down a load of kitchen towel, which did a good job of mopping it up, but it was a constant stream into the van at this point.

Again I have video, but can't seem to get it to upload. Apparently you can't upload MP4??

Anyway, overall I'd say that these 05S bellows are better than the 04S, as more seams are taped, but I just can't understand why they haven't taped the front and rear corner vertical seams too? And as such these continue to leak!

Also, I'm concerned with the bottom leaking in the way it did, but at this point the rain was really very heavy, so perhaps the outside front gutter was getting full and it was overflowing back into the van through the seal??

I have a call with Rhiannon from VWEO on Tuesday, so I'll update her with the findings and send her the pictures and videos.

Hopefully she will be able to pass the detailed information I have, back to the technical team, so they can get to work on the 06S. :)

View attachment 125738
Thanks for posting the photo. We haven't had any rain yet this weekend but if it starts I will put the roof up and check the same seams.

Thanks for the tip
I've never uploaded anything to YT before, so unless anyone specifically wants to see the vid's then I'll happily remain a YT virgin!!!

I'm sure you've all seen a leaky bellows before by now anyway!!!
I asked the question to which they confirmed it had been tested but didn't provide details of how they test.
I put the roof up a 15:00 as it started to rain, still raining now, just checked & currently bone dry. It is only light rain but continuous, it looks as though it will be raining here for most of the night so plan to keep an eye on it. Will inform as things develop, good or bad.
Further to above, First real rain experience since Install, we are up in Ballater just now, it poured down in buckets all night and our new 04S A Bellows did not leak a drop I am relieved to say. Will to continue to monitor, but feeling confident we have a fix

Having had a new 05S fitted a few weeks ago, it hasn’t rained heavily since. So no real-world testing yet. However, as the weather was so good and I’m not as courageous as others, I did Aquatex every single seam, vertical and horizontal inside and out. So I’m impatient now for a good downpour. Off to Yorkshire next week and I suspect I’ll have to trial it in the field rather than home.

PS. I’ll have a relook at the tautness of the bellows to see if it’s slightly slacker than the 03S I had to see if that aids water proofing

Real world test of my 04S last night down on Dartmoor with >12 hours of constant properly heavy rain.
- previously they have not leaked albeit compared to last night, have faced only moderate rain
- having seen the forecast I thought I am going to finally spray the seams with Aquatex. Two coats on all seams externally and a bit of a half hearted effort internally
- went to bed after 8 hours of non stop heavy stuff - not a drop had entered at this stage. Wind was driving it at front corner.
- woke this morning to a few drips having entered the lower front window seam. 6 distinct trails down the canvas. But only enough to dampen a single sheet of kitchen towel, not soak it.
- all other seams 100% dry

Is this a success ? It feels like it after what’s gone before with the 03S I had in similarly heavy rain, albeit shorter duration, and where we got flooded. Bit frustrated to find a few drips this morning, with it having held out so well for hours, but thinking back to my camping days in that sort of rain there was always some sort of minor ingress.

Did the Aquatex make a difference, will never know, but I suspect it must have and am glad I did. Will give that front seam another coating though. As others have said it is invisible so for £10 it’s well worth it.

Real world test of my 04S last night down on Dartmoor with >12 hours of constant properly heavy rain.
- previously they have not leaked albeit compared to last night, have faced only moderate rain
- having seen the forecast I thought I am going to finally spray the seams with Aquatex. Two coats on all seams externally and a bit of a half hearted effort internally
- went to bed after 8 hours of non stop heavy stuff - not a drop had entered at this stage. Wind was driving it at front corner.
- woke this morning to a few drips having entered the lower front window seam. 6 distinct trails down the canvas. But only enough to dampen a single sheet of kitchen towel, not soak it.

Is this a success ? It feels like it after what’s gone before with the 03S I had in similarly heavy rain, albeit shorter duration, and where we got flooded. Bit frustrated to find a few drips this morning, with it having held out so well for hours, but thinking back to my camping days in that sort of rain there was always some sort of minor ingress.

Did the Aquatex make a difference, will never know, but I suspect it must have and am glad I did. Will give that front seam another coating though. As others have said it is invisible so for £10 it’s well worth it.
From my Handbook. Yours might be different.

• Close the pop-up roof during storms with driving rain and wind gusts. Otherwise the bel- lows could leak despite their specially treated fabric. <J

From my Handbook. Yours might be different.

• Close the pop-up roof during storms with driving rain and wind gusts. Otherwise the bel- lows could leak despite their specially treated fabric. <J
I hadn’t appreciated that and having read this thread not sure everyone does? e.g. using hosepipes to test would mimic a storm?

It raises another issue though, what to do if you have 4 people on board and a storm arrives?

I hadn’t appreciated that and having read this thread not sure everyone does? e.g. using hosepipes to test would mimic a storm?

It raises another issue though, what to do if you have 4 people on board and a storm arrives?
Use an external cover or wrap.

My Beach was dealer pre reg 31/12/2022 so a late 22 build and probably a 23 model if there are any differences. The roof has been OK up to and including 24hrs of rain in SW France 4 weeks ago. However on the way home we stopped in SE England for 2 nights last weekend, it was biblical and the roof leaked like a sieve along the seams. The canvas also got wet inside from, I guess, condensation.

Now I am trying to identify what canvas it is. It’s dark grey on the outside and cream on the inside. So either 2 fabrics laminated or one treated. I can’t see anywhere there is a part number.

Replacing it with more of the same seems pointless, if impossible even to get VW to do., so I am erring toward an annual proofing, as I have done with tents, awnings and pop tops in the past, using Fabsil or Aquatex.

Internally is just as important as external, that way the thread is getting a waterproof coating both sides and it will probably wick into the centre of the thread.

I am about to purchase a new stock cali from a dealer which is 300miles away. The bellow is 04S.
They cannot replace it without seeing a fault, do I just bite the bullet as they all seem to be 04s ?
I assume a local dealer in kent will undertake the warranty ?

I am about to purchase a new stock cali from a dealer which is 300miles away. The bellow is 04S.
They cannot replace it without seeing a fault, do I just bite the bullet as they all seem to be 04s ?
Yes, because some 04S bellows seem to be OK.

I'd say no.

You're in quite a good position where you can get new stock with the 05S. I'd accept nothing less, granted it might leak (seems recent reports are very minimal) but nothing like what some of the 03S and 04S do.

With the 05S and you get caught out with a downpour in the middle of the night you're more than likely to still be dry in the morning.

At least shop around and see what stock is available.

The Cali dealer I bought the van from is fully across the problem but they are 250 miles away. As soon as I spoke to them they told me yes it’s a known problem, they have the fix but would need to go through the warranty process. My local dealers, only 60 miles away, know the problem but have only replaced a few canvases and want to to the test first. The original dealer service guy is being way more helpful. He would like video and will talk to VW and get the warranty sorted so I only have the one visit to do. Could be a result ;=)

So my question to you folk is - what is the test? A simple hose on the front window?

I see what you are saying but if the 05s still have issues then it isnt a fix, so potentially would still need replacing and potenially lose out on a vehicle that is good spec.
I assume the any local VW service centres will have to do the work regardless of where it was purchased?
I suppose, having a 05S just makes it more usable without all the worry and you can actually use it while a real fix is in the making. No need for a wrap etc. It's just less hassle.

That being said, if you've found the spec you want and that's the most important thing then go for that vehicle, get a wrap and all might be ok.

It's just what I would do having rejected our perfect spec yet having leaking 04S bellows.

Any VW center will do the work, but most of them will want to do a water test on the bellows. Video / photo evidence from you isn't enough, they usually want to test it for themselves. Which adds to the inconvenience.

Last edited:
The Cali dealer I bought the van from is fully across the problem but they are 250 miles away. As soon as I spoke to them they told me yes it’s a known problem, they have the fix but would need to go through the warranty process. My local dealers, only 60 miles away, know the problem but have only replaced a few canvases and want to to the test first. The original dealer service guy is being way more helpful. He would like video and will talk to VW and get the warranty sorted so I only have the one visit to do. Could be a result ;=)

So my question to you folk is - what is the test? A simple hose on the front window?
I picked up my new van yesterday and the dealer said the accepted hosepipe test they use is a fine mist spray for 30 mins

I see what you are saying but if the 05s still have issues then it isnt a fix, so potentially would still need replacing and potenially lose out on a vehicle that is good spec.
I assume the any local VW service centres will have to do the work regardless of where it was purchased?
Is a leaking roof a good spec for a £70k campervan?

There is often c8% to play with at VWC dealers so if they can’t find £700 for a correct canvas I would walk.

Back