Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

What happens when vehicles fall outside the warranty period due to the procrastination of vw to find a solution?

Will they honour the fact the problem arose during warranty and apply whatever solution they come up with, no quibble?

I would suggest that if any of us stood in a mist spray for a full 30 mins we would be saturated and I think that’s the point the dealer said.. saturated but not forced water ie pressure.

What happens when vehicles fall outside the warranty period due to the procrastination of vw to find a solution?

Will they honour the fact the problem arose during warranty and apply whatever solution they come up with, no quibble?
If you've highlighted the issue before the warranty runs out, I think you're ok. As I see it, fundamentally as long as you identify the issue while in warranty and can confirm it hasn't been resolved, you should still be covered for that issue, irrespective of if the delay is because of the dealer or a fix from VW themselves. It would be different if you are 6 months post warranty expiry and announce you've got a leak.

On the hose test, I was fairly sure that had been abandoned as the test method and instead dealers were being instructed to leave the van out in the rain?

I would suggest that if any of us stood in a mist spray for a full 30 mins we would be saturated and I think that’s the point the dealer said.. saturated but not forced water ie pressure.
I get you now. Thanks for explaining :)

collected Cali yesterday from dealer …I’ve got the O5S with the A sticker manufactured 18/4/24.
Once I’m working from home and it’s raining I’ll give a real test ..if logistics and the heavens don’t coincide I’ll set up a hosepipe spray mist test at the weekend and update with findings.

Last edited:
Here’s the label….DOM which I think is the same as Nimrod but difference is mine has an A sticker too?

IMG_0562.jpeg

Last edited:
Along with the semi circular window seam, that horizontal seam is one of the worst affected. When did you get the 04S installed? At this point only 05S should be used.
04s installed in April, van booked in so will see what they say!

I tried zooming in but your 0 of the 10 distorted to what looked like an 8, hence thinking it was the same
Let's just hope the 'A' sticker is reserved for the ones that don't leak, irrespective of DOM :thumb

I spoke with VWEO today and they informed me that to date I'm the first leaking 05S. So fingers cross for everyone else.

Took delivery of our new Cali yesterday which is fitted with O5S A bellows. The fabric is single skin, dark grey on the outside, coated with something silver/grey on the inside, it looks the business.
The seams generally show no sign of pin holes. The whole thing looks very well made.
BUT !
Because the complete bellows are stretched very taut, the two front corners are showing signs of stress at the base. Light showing through the fabric and a row of holes being evident along the bottom seam.
Off to test them in Cornwall next week.

View attachment 124987

View attachment 124988

View attachment 124989

View attachment 124990
Hope you had a nice holiday in Cornwall?…was their any West Country rain and if so how did your bellows fair?

Let's just hope the 'A' sticker is reserved for the ones that don't leak, irrespective of DOM :thumb

I spoke with VWEO today and they informed me that to date I'm the first leaking 05S. So fingers cross for everyone else.
Are they suggesting replace with a luckier set or take on board your comments regarding the lack of black tape on the four corner seams?

Are they suggesting replace with a luckier set or take on board your comments regarding the lack of black tape on the four corner seams?
To be fair, I think at this stage they're just collecting data.

Man , this “you are the only one” recurring theme from VWEO whichever bellows we are talking about. 03 04 04 post nov 23. Same story. Good luck out there.

I am about to purchase a new stock cali from a dealer which is 300miles away. The bellow is 04S.
They cannot replace it without seeing a fault, do I just bite the bullet as they all seem to be 04s ?
I assume a local dealer in kent will undertake the warranty ?
Some leak, some don't, however, if it they eventually leak, then they will be replaced under warranty

I am wondering why owners who take the Aquatex route seem to be only treating the seams. I recall that some early postings spoke of the fabric getting heavier in rain, is this still the case?

My single skin roof stays the same when wet so that the water just rolls off. If the twin skin material holds water - even though it does not penetrate the depth of the fabric - I wonder if this exaggerates the problems at the seams?

Back