Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I’m sure it’s been mentioned several times already over the previous 170+ pages, but it seems inconceivable that VW are not issuing a formal recall of all 23/24 models for inspection, or at the very least writing to all owners to make them aware and check themselves. It’s entirely possible that an infrequent, fair weather camper could easily sail past warranty period having never experienced a rainy session with the roof up and therefore never knowing they even have a problem!

so, miracle of miracles, after my bellows leaked and i filmed it and showed the water pouring in, VW Brussels have eventually replaced them for an 06s model. they made out like they had done me some enormous favour of course, and to get this done i had to take the van there twice, the first time last year for two weeks, (when they changed something entirely unrelated to the leaks,) then this time they kept the van for A MONTH. no apology of course, or anything at all, but at least i now have the 06s bellows fitted. as Rems23 says above it is astonishing that VW haven't just accepted that any pre 06s bellows should be changed is crazy/pathetic/offensive. i can't believe you have to wait, film it, then they test it etc. my god.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned several times already over the previous 170+ pages, but it seems inconceivable that VW are not issuing a formal recall of all 23/24 models for inspection, or at the very least writing to all owners to make them aware and check themselves. It’s entirely possible that an infrequent, fair weather camper could easily sail past warranty period having never experienced a rainy session with the roof up and therefore never knowing they even have a problem!
It has indeed been mentioned several times, but the consensus (with "insider knowledge" from those who have experience in the automotive industry) is recalls generally only happen for safety critical components. The fact changeovers are happening with little fuss demonstrates dealers are clearly aware of the issue as they aren't having to jump through the same "warranty hoops" they were 12 months ago.

It is unlikely the bellows will be going out of production anytime soon and given the affected vehicles typically have at least 12 months of warranty left on them, as long as owners act over the next year it shouldn't be an issue to resolve.

Back