Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

So I collected mine from EuroVans yesterday. They’re obviously aware of the issue but said of all the vans delivered last week only two have fed back that there’s an issue with the pop-top leaking. In all likelihood the vast majority just haven’t tested them out in the rain yet so I expect that number to grow. Nevertheless testing it, reporting it and putting your feedback on here is all you can seemingly do for the time-being.

So I collected mine from EuroVans yesterday. They’re obviously aware of the issue but said of all the vans delivered last week only two have fed back that there’s an issue with the pop-top leaking. In all likelihood the vast majority just haven’t tested them out in the rain yet so I expect that number to grow. Nevertheless testing it, reporting it and putting your feedback on here is all you can seemingly do for the time-being.
It's a fairly meaningless metric from them "all the vans" - if there were 4 delivered, that's 50%! As you say, I suspect many haven't seen the rain yet either.

Did they leave your roof up in the end and if so, did it leak?

How many would put seam sealer on their MY23 bellows instead of having the previous gen bellows installed? Someone on Calibord has treated the front horizontal seam inside and out with sealer liquid and this fixed his leak problem. It may need to be repeated every couple of years. Personally, I would keep the new one.

How many would put seam sealer on their MY23 bellows instead of having the previous gen bellows installed? Someone on Calibord has treated the front horizontal seam inside and out with sealer liquid and this fixed his leak problem. It may need to be repeated every couple of years. Personally, I would keep the new one.
I think if VW did the sealing then it could be an acceptable solution, although I’d hope for more than a few years, as the new two layer bellows are much nicer than the older version.

The longevity of the fix would be very important to know before agreeing and it’s not something we’d consider DIY’ing.

Our new Ocean, collected in June 2023 and ordered 3 months previously, has the new twin layer bellows. We haven’t yet used the elevated roof in the rain, but spending our first night in it, the light passing through through the weave of the material is very evident. It is opaque but with very noticeable pinpricks of bright light.
Are the bellows described as being waterproof or water resistant? These terms are often interchanged, but they’re not synonyms.

Our new Ocean, collected in June 2023 and ordered 3 months previously, has the new twin layer bellows. We haven’t yet used the elevated roof in the rain, but spending our first night in it, the light passing through through the weave of the material is very evident. It is opaque but with very noticeable pinpricks of bright light.
Are the bellows described as being waterproof or water resistant? These terms are often interchanged, but they’re not synonyms.
They're described as neither; the only official wording on the topic is to lower the roof in strong winds or strong winds with driven rain (happy to be corrected on the exact wording). Pin-pricks of light is normal; the older one (MY22) bellows were much more "starry starry night" but probably more obvious because the material was dark.

Ours will undoubtedly be getting a "calm weather" drenching at the weekend. Be interesting to see what happens . . .

We love everything about the quality of the new bellows except the leaking. They just feel and look much plusher than the older ones. A real shame there’s this water ingress problem, so yes if we could keep this level of quality and have leak free bellows then we would rather than have the old type.

We love everything about the quality of the new bellows except the leaking. They just feel and look much plusher than the older ones. A real shame there’s this water ingress problem, so yes if we could keep this level of quality and have leak free bellows then we would rather than have the old type.
Your first line would make a great testimonial on the VW website….. “we love everything about …… except the leaking”

Just wondering. As the main thread on leaking new style bellows has been closed, I wonder if this is the best thread to take over?

I have my van booked in next month to have a look at the leaking bellows (along with the tailgate and a couple of other things) and I’m really keen to hear of other peoples experiences with dealer responses to the problem and also the experience of people getting replacement bellows.

I’m in two minds what to do at the moment as, until VW acknowledge the problem and provide a solution, I don’t really want replacement bellows. Nor do I want to risk being charged with an investigation charge should the dealer say there is nothing wrong with my bellows. I do, however, want the issue logged and I want to put pressure on VW to address this.

Just wondering. As the main thread on leaking new style bellows has been closed, I wonder if this is the best thread to take over?

I have my van booked in next month to have a look at the leaking bellows (along with the tailgate and a couple of other things) and I’m really keen to hear of other peoples experiences with dealer responses to the problem and also the experience of people getting replacement bellows.

I’m in two minds what to do at the moment as, until VW acknowledge the problem and provide a solution, I don’t really want replacement bellows. Nor do I want to risk being charged with an investigation charge should the dealer say there is nothing wrong with my bellows. I do, however, want the issue logged and I want to put pressure on VW to address this.
I know this is off pist but.............why has "...... the main thread on leaking new style bellows has been closed,........"

I know this is off pist but.............why has "...... the main thread on leaking new style bellows has been closed,........"
There was a lot of aggressive behaviour taking place and a lot of the recent posts were name calling and not adding value. So I presume that's why.

It's a shame those posters couldn't have been given a warning, the less than useful posts removed and the thread kept open.

There was a mountain of really useful information on that thread.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I'd agree with your line of reasoning - keep the pressure on, mails, calls and polite reasoning, awaiting the eventual design change / service bulletin that will resolve the issue. Some have had their bellows replaced, to no avail, as the part is currently identical and the replacements also leak.

That there is not a fix already tells me that behind the scenes the issue is larger than just a spray of wax or some sort of intervention fix.

Regardless of what the dealers say, VW are aware and are looking at a fix, just taking a little too long than is comfortable for many owners about it.

Last edited:
My 23 Ocean is just over six weeks old and covered by the original VWCV three year warranty. I have had quite bad leaks already. My dealer has seen my photos and he took some of his own during a "hose test" at their premises. I will be extending that to five years & 80k kms. I expect the std warranty and the extended one to cover the solution that VWCV offer to fix the leaking canvas be it a seam sealant, a new bellows (modified), a return to the canvas used in the period before the the introduction of the new two skin version, or any other solution they may suggest. Above all It needs/has to be a VW solution in order to attract a VW manufacturers warranty. This is what I already paid for and am expecting.
So......I do not expect it to be a DIY solution as by its nature would not attract a VW warranty. In the meantime I will not be tinkering with my canvas as I will not take the risk of VW claiming any reason to invalidate the the current warranty. As for using the van while VWCV contemplate their position and future action I will use a roof topper (fortunately I already had one) when we are out and about and the weather forecast looks unsettled or just not use the pop-up roof at all!

My 23 Ocean is just over six weeks old and covered by the original VWCV three year warranty. I have had quite bad leaks already. My dealer has seen my photos and he took some of his own during a "hose test" at their premises. I will be extending that to five years & 80k kms. I expect the std warranty and the extended one to cover the solution that VWCV offer to fix the leaking canvas be it a seam sealant, a new bellows (modified), a return to the canvas used in the period before the the introduction of the new two skin version, or any other solution they may suggest. Above all It needs/has to be a VW solution in order to attract a VW manufacturers warranty. This is what I already paid for and am expecting.
So......I do not expect it to be a DIY solution as by its nature would not attract a VW warranty. In the meantime I will not be tinkering with my canvas as I will not take the risk of VW claiming any reason to invalidate the the current warranty. As for using the van while VWCV contemplate their position and future action I will use a roof topper (fortunately I already had one) when we are out and about and the weather forecast looks unsettled or just not use the pop-up roof at all!
The savvy way forward in the interim is, unfortunately, a pop top cover. I'd be pushing for a dealer to be supplying a loan one in the meantime. I know Breeze are looking to do this, smart dealers would be doing the same. Challenge is they will be looking to VW to recompense them for the covers (10 covers would be between 2 - 3K depending on make). Technically doing that is also admission of an issue, which the whole network and VW are avoiding, legally, until they really have to, such is the process.

There was a lot of aggressive behaviour taking place and a lot of the recent posts were name calling and not adding value. So I presume that's why.

It's a shame those posters couldn't have been given a warning, the less than useful posts removed and the thread kept open.

There was a mountain of really useful information on that thread.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
Warn them all….

An update on our bellows. We had replacement bellows fitted last week and they have already experienced some rain. Sadly the new replacement bellows leak in exactly the same way as the old ones!! You can actually see the rain water starting to come in through the stitching holes at the bottom of the bellows if you look closely in the photo below.

1692772788041.jpeg

This built up and got wetter quite quickly…

1692772830790.jpeg

And eventually started overflowing into the van. This is exactly what the old bellows did. The new bellows fitted last week were ones that were blocked from ordering by VW and then made available again, however there seems to be no difference in their performance.

An update on our bellows. We had replacement bellows fitted last week and they have already experienced some rain. Sadly the new replacement bellows leak in exactly the same way as the old ones!! You can actually see the rain water starting to come in through the stitching holes at the bottom of the bellows if you look closely in the photo below.

View attachment 113415

This built up and got wetter quite quickly…

View attachment 113416

And eventually started overflowing into the van. This is exactly what the old bellows did. The new bellows fitted last week were ones that were blocked from ordering by VW and then made available again, however there seems to be no difference.
This mirrors the experience of people on the German forum. Confirms to me that, at this point in time, there’s no point going down the replacement route. I will, however, be logging it as a warranty issue with both the dealer and VWCS so it gets added to the stats (or not as the case may be!). @dspuk perhaps you can shed light on whether simply logging the issue without getting the dealer to look at it would actually get logged somewhere or whether I would need to get the dealer to agree there’s an issue and then decline a replacement (and run the risk of being charged an investigation fee being as the dealer will only be paid if they carry out the warranty work).

I’m sorry you’ve had to be an unsuccessful Guinea pig.

Last edited:
The savvy way forward in the interim is, unfortunately, a pop top cover. I'd be pushing for a dealer to be supplying a loan one in the meantime. I know Breeze are looking to do this, smart dealers would be doing the same. Challenge is they will be looking to VW to recompense them for the covers (10 covers would be between 2 - 3K depending on make). Technically doing that is also admission of an issue, which the whole network and VW are avoiding, legally, until they really have to, such is the process.
I don’t agree. If everybody sits quietly and buys pop top covers then as far as VW are concerned there isn’t a widespread issue. We should all be making warranty claims because the bellows are faulty. Where’s the logic in having a faulty vehicle that you don’t seek a repair or rectification on? Inaction could be seen as acceptance.

This mirrors the experience of people on the German forum. Confirms to me that, at this point in time, there’s no point going down the replacement route. I will, however, be logging it as a warranty issue with both the dealer and VWCS so it gets added to the stat (or not as the case may be!).

I’m sorry you’ve had to be an unsuccessful Guinea pig.
It’s no problem. As far as we’re concerned our vehicle is faulty so we wanted it fixed. It’s up to the dealer to rectify the issue so we just followed their advice and guidance, which was to fit replacement bellows and they felt would fix the issue. Sadly it hasn’t worked and so we’ll work with the dealer to get the issue resolved. Ultimately this is for the dealer (and in turn VW) to resolve and not us. We just need to keep making noise until the leaking issue is resolved as it’s not acceptable.

I don’t agree. If everybody sits quietly and buys pop top covers then as far as VW are concerned there isn’t a widespread issue. We should all be making warranty claims because the bellows are faulty. Where’s the logic in having a faulty vehicle that you don’t seek a repair or rectification on? Inaction will be seen as acceptance.
I'm sorry to hear that the replacements are no better.

I understand a week or so ago the replacement bellows went out of stock again. My dealers are happy to wait to diagnose and repair in one visit but we feel it's very important to get it logged straight away.

VW themselves made zero acknowledgement of any issues.

It's hopefully going for diagnosis tomorrow.

Does anyone know the details of how the leak test works??

I'm sorry to hear that the replacements are no better.

I understand a week or so ago the replacement bellows went out of stock again. My dealers are happy to wait to diagnose and repair in one visit but we feel it's very important to get it logged straight away.

VW themselves made zero acknowledgement of any issues.

It's hopefully going for diagnosis tomorrow.

Does anyone know the details of how the leak test works??
I don’t know but it’s essential they make the bellows wet long enough for the outer material to become saturated. This may not happen immediately. With our bellows leaking hasn’t happened until 45 minute or so of light to moderate rain, but after that it’s been continuously leaking into the cabin.

It’s no problem. As far as we’re concerned our vehicle is faulty so we wanted it fixed. It’s up to the dealer to rectify the issue so we just followed their advice and guidance, which was to fit replacement bellows and they felt would fix the issue. Sadly it hasn’t worked and so we’ll work with the dealer to get the issue resolved. Ultimately this is for the dealer (and in turn VW) to resolve and not us. We just need to keep making noise until the leaking issue is resolved as it’s not acceptable.
I fully understand what you’re saying here and understand why you went with the replacement. However, now we know the replacements don’t work, I don’t want any work done to my van until there’s a known solution. I don’t want to replace my leaking, factory fitted bellows with leaking dealer fitted bellows with additional issues such as oily fingerprints all over the van (as has happened to others) and/or poorly fitted bellows that come away at the corners.

Ideally I want to ensure pressure is continued to be applied to VW while not having unnecessary work done.

I don’t agree. If everybody sits quietly and buys pop top covers then as far as VW are concerned there isn’t a widespread issue. We should all be making warranty claims because the bellows are faulty. Where’s the logic in having a faulty vehicle that you don’t seek a repair or rectification on? Inaction could be seen as acceptance.

If you read my post above the one you have hightlighted I say:

"I'd agree with your line of reasoning - keep the pressure on, mails, calls and polite reasoning, awaiting the eventual design change / service bulletin that will resolve the issue."

and in this post I say:

"I'd be pushing for a dealer to be supplying a loan one in the meantime.".

At no point did I advocate "inaction".

I fully understand what you’re saying here and understand why you went with the replacement. However, now we know the replacements don’t work, I don’t want any work done to my van until there’s a known solution. I don’t want to replace my leaking, factory fitted bellows with leaking dealer fitted bellows with additional issues such as oily fingerprints all over the van (as has happened to others) and/or poorly fitted bellows that come away at the corners.

Ideally I want to ensure pressure is continued to be applied to VW while not having unnecessary work done.
That’s fair enough. I have to say I was very impressed with everything when receiving my van back from Breeze. The work was carried out impeccably and with no sign anything’s happened to it other than the bellows look very slightly different. They even washed it for me.

Back