Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Thanks your reply. Are you able to say if VW plan a more robust response to this leaking problem? The prospect of having the canvas replaced on my 6.1 only to have it still leak is not a problem I anticipated when I moved from a T6 to a T6.1 when the canvas in my T6 never leaked/no wicking in the 4 1/2 years of ownership/use (approx 250 nights), which included some pretty strong wind and rain episodes. (We always slept "up top")
My conversations with VW suggest presently they aren't even acknowledging any reports of leaking bellows.

For me despite copious photos and video I still have to take it for diagnosis!!

You say yours are to be replaced - did you also have it already diagnosed via a VW centre?

My conversations with VW suggest presently they aren't even acknowledging any reports of leaking bellows.

For me despite copious photos and video I still have to take it for diagnosis!!

You say yours are to be replaced - did you also have it already diagnosed via a VW centre?
First of all I am very lucky. I live just 6 miles from my Volkswagen Van Center. They know me well because on occasions of utter frustration I would just turn up on their doorstep and find someone to talk to. In fairness to them when (25th July) I showed them my photos of my leaking canvas they were sympathetic. They took my Cali into the workshop and performed a "hose test" and took their own photos. After a little toing and froing they agreed they would replace the canvas. On 21st August they informed (I did have to chase them) me that a new part number was available, and that they had one for me, and that they wanted to fix a date to install. I will be agreeing a date with them later today.

They tested my canvas recently , and the reply I got from the dealership was “it didn’t perform any worse or any better than other MY23 vehicles”
What the hell does that mean.
The salesman then turned around and said, one thing we do is say “ the bellows aren’t fully waterproof”
So please let us know if you want to keep it or reject it!
Now who would Buy a vehicle after being told it’s not waterproof

They tested my canvas recently , and the reply I got from the dealership was “it didn’t perform any worse or any better than other MY23 vehicles”
The salesman then turned around and said, one thing we do is say “ the bellows aren’t fully waterproof”
That’s an awful response which makes it entirely your problem, completely and utterly unacceptable. If it was a sales or service guy that told you that I hope you escalated it to the dealer’s Management and VW? It won’t happen but maybe a mass rejection is what it will take. I think most of us are still giving VW time as we are attached to our Calis but there will come a point…

In that case you can tell them you were mis-sold the vehicle as this should’ve been disclosed when it was sold to you.

In that case you can tell them you were mis-sold the vehicle as this should’ve been disclosed when it was sold to you.
Giving you the right to reject it presumably, but nothing more? Most of us don't want to reject the vehicles and I'm sure that's what this dealer is playing on, we just want the issue acknowledged and rectified so they can be used in moderate rain like every other version of Cali & bellows before it.

Funny...I was in a dealer yesterday who was totally unaware of the new bellows leaking issue and hadn't come across it - or so he said

There seems to be people on here going round, round and round, not getting anywhere!

Has it not registered yet? VW are not going to do anything! Unless you are one of the very very optimistic dreamers on here!

Yes they are great vehicles and who wouldn’t want to keep it! If it was dry inside!

As previously mentioned on my earlier threads, where people got personal, so they shut it down:)

The way forward is to reject the vehicle. The dealers are told what to do, they have no say other than reporting info to Vw!
Eg:
We have a customer complaining about their leaking below!
Vw response:
Our bellows don’t leak, but they are only shower proof, put the roof down in the rain, get a cover, keep the customer happy and replace the bellow with another leaking bellow?:)))

Reject your ordered vehicle or return you vehicle, if everyone did this rather than going round, round round etc, there will be a far higher percentage chance that VW will do something!

Other wise stop assuming and winging! If you want to keep the wet vehicle, do so, just don’t keep complying that VW are not doing anything! Why should they? People are keeping and still buying them????

There seems to be people on here going round, round and round, not getting anywhere!

Has it not registered yet? VW are not going to do anything! Unless you are one of the very very optimistic dreamers on here!

Yes they are great vehicles and who wouldn’t want to keep it! If it was dry inside!

As previously mentioned on my earlier threads, where people got personal, so they shut it down:)

The way forward is to reject the vehicle. The dealers are told what to do, they have no say other than reporting info to Vw!
Eg:
We have a customer complaining about their leaking below!
Vw response:
Our bellows don’t leak, but they are only shower proof, put the roof down in the rain, get a cover, keep the customer happy and replace the bellow with another leaking bellow?:)))

Reject your ordered vehicle or return you vehicle, if everyone did this rather than going round, round round etc, there will be a far higher percentage chance that VW will do something!

Other wise stop assuming and winging! If you want to keep the wet vehicle, do so, just don’t keep complying that VW are not doing anything! Why should they? People are keeping and still buying them????
I’m one of the optimistic dreamers on here (I won’t take it personally!) and I would hope that, in time VW will do something about it. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for people to share their dissatisfaction on this forum.

But I’m here mainly to share experiences and understand what others are being told/how their issue is being dealt with. I don’t want to reject my vehicle as this, for me, would be cutting my nose off to spite my face (different for others I know). I will get a topper and, hey presto, a dry van. And wait until there’s a solution. I have five years of warranty and I can wait (while applying pressure on the dealer/VW in any way I can).

In the meantime I’ll enjoy what is otherwise a great van.

I’ll certainly be taking the vehicle back on Monday and getting my money back. The dealership know I was sitting in the fence , but after the recent responses - I’ve decided it’s going back.

Yes everyone is entitled to express their opinion and dissatisfaction!
However I thought the purpose of this thread was to try and help and move forward! Not go round round round etc etc

I thought of taking the option you took?

But if everyone followed this path nothing will be done? That was my point and logic!

Yours is a personal choice, but doesn’t help solving the issue?

Do something that helps others and makes a difference!
Actions speak louder than words!

Enjoy your Cali they are great versatile vehicles :)

However I thought the purpose of this thread was to try and help and move forward! Not go round round round etc etc

But if everyone followed this path nothing will be done? That was my point and logic!

Yes I think you’re spot on. Clearly customers are happy if they’re willing to keep their vehicles, so no issue. Why would VW spend money on an issue their customers seem satisfied with? Doesn’t make sense at all.

I'm also one of the optimistic dreamers (sounds like a great name for a band). I have my van booked in for a bellows change next month and think that I will let this go ahead even if there is no new version. In the hope that I get a better quality one which leaks less or not at all. If not then follow Grigio Van Grigio advice and get a temporary solution and wait for a proper fix to arrive as there are so many reported failures that some workaround will surely emerge within my warranty period.

I'm also one of the optimistic dreamers (sounds like a great name for a band). I have my van booked in for a bellows change next month and think that I will let this go ahead even if there is no new version. In the hope that I get a better quality one which leaks less or not at all. If not then follow Grigio Van Grigio advice and get a temporary solution and wait for a proper fix to arrive as there are so many reported failures that some workaround will surely emerge within my warranty period.
And then raise a bigger stink with the dealer and VW Headquarters if the replacement does not live up to expectations.
Seems like ideal class action lawsuit territory. And the EU has made this a whole lot easier in 2023:

If not rejected, then owners have to put their trust and confidence in VW actually admitting that there is an issue and then coming up with a solution that is acceptable (replacing bellows with a waterproof one).
Based on past experience waiting for VW could be long and painful. I waited years from VW identifying roof corrosion to actually getting an appointment to have it sorted, then they put that appointment back to a point where I’d sold the Cali before ever getting fixed.

What would you like me to do to help others?
There’s no clear solution from vw , they aren’t admitting any issues - they openly admit we must all expect drops to enter via the seams and zips.
I’d rather not keep a vehicle that leaks!
Maybe if It had no kids and I can have the roof down, I would happily keep it.

If anyone is happy to keep a leaking vehicle , that doesn’t show vw that there is actually an issue, well not a big issue which this is.
They’re sitting there knowing their vehicles are leaking, but their customers are happy to continue using them.

That’s not an issue…

What are you on about Joncali?
I not responding personally to you?

Here we go again ????

I agree with you joncali!
Read my threads
Action speaks louder than words.
Words being the forte of many a members in here!
Lots to say but nothing to say!

What are you on about Joncali?
I not responding personally to you?

Here we go again ????
, I’m just saying if anyone is happy keeping a leaking vehicle , it won’t show vw how big the problem is.
I thought you replied to me because I’m rejecting my vehicle .

In my opinion , anyone able to reject their vehicle over this issue should.
Maybe vw will stand up and get something sorted then.

Back