Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Well, well guess what! The new/new bellows (#C v2) is on back order. So are we heading for #C v3. Couldn't book my Cali in for #C v3 to be installed because my Van centre had no idea when the new ones will be available.
Who’s your Van Centre Jabberwockey?

Well, well guess what! The new/new bellows (#C v2) is on back order. So are we heading for #C v3. Couldn't book my Cali in for #C v3 to be installed because my Van centre had no idea when the new ones will be available.
Do you know they are on backorder because C V2 failed to be watertight or is it because demand has been so high??

Do you know they are on backorder because C V2 failed to be watertight or is it because demand has been so high??
Hmmm… Would they create #C v3 because v2 is on backorder?

I guess the backorder situation could be:

A) run out of stock due to all the leakers
B) early installs of C V2 have failed

If B) then I guess there'll eventually be a new variant...

It could be the opportunity to get back to unique part numbers for each iteration as should have been the case from the outset.

This is an interesting development because Eurovans in Crawley declined my vehicle rejection request on the basis that the new part is 'imminent', if that transpires not to be the case then I'll be getting back on to the EO.

I am just thoroughly sick of the whole situation in truth, I raised my concerns about the leaking bellows via email to EV's Sales Manager prior to even collecting the vehicle in July and he assured me that my bellows would be 'thoroughly' tested. Clearly that wasn't done as mine barely lasted a few minutes when testing myself but because I reported it in after the 30 days they're insisting on an opportunity to fix it.

In fact I have to take it back there for them to confirm the leak before any new parts can be ordered, and they can't even do that until the 24th. I can only assume they're going to do a different test this time now they have my money :mad:

Aside from feeling somewhat lied to in the first place we're also in to the realms of what a 'reasonable' timeframe is for fixing this. My view is that they think they can just reset the clock every time there's an update and they're getting backed up by the EO who are giving the dealers the power to ultimately decide, that's why I've taken it to the Ombudsman to review independently.

I've heard some dealers have been reasonable through the process but that's not my experience of Eurovans unfortunately. For anyone reading this that is contemplating ordering through them, I strongly suggest considering alternatives and if you do go through them, be very explicit about what you're asking for.

Rant over.

Last edited:
In fact I have to take it back there for them to confirm the leak before any new parts can be ordered, and they can't even do that until the 24th. I can only assume they're going to do a different test this time :mad:

Rant over.
Note to self… Don’t make a teru teru bozu until after 24th…

:bananadance2

I had a long conversation with the EO this morning. It was clear we are all asking them the same questions about the V2 bellows hoping to understand what has been changed and why they might be any more waterproof than their predecessors. The EO said they have asked but have not been given any answers by the factory - yet, maybe next week (or mañana). The guy I was speaking to agreed that leaking bellows was a fault, but in the same breath agreed that dealers have been given no guidance on how to test the bellows, so if the dealer confirms a leak with one watering can, changes the bellows to V2 and the same test doesn't get a leak, are they going to call that problem fixed?!! In real world light to moderate rain, my 'C' version bellows took over two hours to start leaking, and 5 minutes when I simulated moderate rain with a sprinkler attached to a hose. Someone in VW needs to test and confirm whatever version of the bellows gets fitted as a fix is capable of surviving a night of weather anything less than strong wind with driving rain as stated in the user manual. The cost of this issue must be mounting quickly for VW, (never mind us), the EO suggested several hundred would likely need replacing in the UK, plus ROW. If they end up having to do it several times over...

He cant stay away - just has to keep giving us 3rd hand stories about what a mate of a friend read on an internet.

In the meantime my 2023MY hasn't leaked a drop.....(to be fair I havn't needed the roof up for bit) but it doesn't stop me getting a lot of use out of the van.
I like coming on to look, at everyone moaning. It gives me great pleasure!

Might be worth speaking to jerba campervans to see if their canvas replacement service can be done by fitting one of their own single skin canvas's instead of the VW item..
Around 5min40 in
little detail in the video but maybe worth a call as their own canvas is known to be reliable.

Might be worth speaking to jerba campervans to see if their canvas replacement service can be done by fitting one of their own single skin canvas's instead of the VW item..
Around 5min40 in
little detail in the video but maybe worth a call as their own canvas is known to be reliable.
Interesting… But I presume the service will be for older out of warranty canvas replacement or where someone has damaged their own canvas in a way that is not covered by warranty. Anyone with a leaking MY23 canvas will wait for VW to fix or reject their California.

Joncali had balls at the end of day,told them to stick it and got a refund. I like that. The t6 and early 6.1 was fine. Jon is right here, needs rejection, they're not fit for purpose.
I'm trying but VW aren't having it...

terrible saga all this, have a chat with joncali,he managed it ok
Much easier if it’s within 30 days of collection. I rejected mine on day 30 and received a refund from Eurovans. To start with they advised that the extended warranty could not be refunded, but VW customer service called them and suddenly they could!!

In my opinion, I think Eurovans could be more sympathetic and even honest in their attitude to owners with leaking bellows. Every time I asked them about it, the response was that they only had 3 Californias that leaked and one of them turned out to be a problem with a window rather than the roof, apparently. One of those Calis was mine and I know of more than one person on this forum who has complained to them with evidence that their bellows leak. Their numbers don’t add up.

Much easier if it’s within 30 days of collection. I rejected mine on day 30 and received a refund from Eurovans. To start with they advised that the extended warranty could not be refunded, but VW customer service called them and suddenly they could!!

In my opinion, I think Eurovans could be more sympathetic and even honest in their attitude to owners with leaking bellows. Every time I asked them about it, the response was that they only had 3 Californias that leaked and one of them turned out to be a problem with a window rather than the roof, apparently. One of those Calis was mine and I know of more than one person on this forum who has complained to them with evidence that their bellows leak. Their numbers don’t add up.
This is about the long and short of it, the moment you've had it longer than thirty days they really couldn't give a crap what kind of experience you've had, they'll stand behind their 'right to repair' even though they have no idea what the 'repair' even is or when it's actually going to be available for fitting. The EO will be sympathetic to your case but ultimately say it's up to the van centre to decide and they have to go with what they say. It really is grim.

Last edited:
This is about the long and short of it, the moment you've had it longer than thirty days they really couldn't give a crap what kind of experience you've had, they'll stand behind their 'right to repair' even though they have no idea what the 'repair' even is or when it's actually going to be available for fitting. The EO will be sympathetic to your case but ultimately say it's up to the van centre to decide and they have to go with what they say. It really is grim.
Your Eurovans experience sounds absolutely terrible. This whole thing must be causing you a serious amount of stress. Regarding the repair, if they don’t attempt a repair within a reasonable time frame I believe you can still reject it, so it was a very wise move to go to the Ombudsman. There’s no way I would buy through Eurovans after hearing your story as they seem to have no care for what your experience is like.

Your Eurovans experience sounds absolutely terrible. This whole thing must be causing you a serious amount of stress. Regarding the repair, if they don’t attempt a repair within a reasonable time frame I believe you can still reject it, so it was a very wise move to go to the Ombudsman. There’s no way I would buy through Eurovans after hearing your story as they seem to have no care for what your experience is like.
Yeah it’s just been awful. The ‘reasonable time frame’ thing is interesting, it doesn’t seem as though there’s a legal definition for it so it’s subjective. If yours and the dealer’s ‘reasonable’ timeframes don’t align then the EO will just go with the dealer. Ultimately the MO will decide but that’s not a quick process so I’ll have to live with the stress.

Although I had an easier experience with Eurovans as I rejected within 30 days, it was the unresponsiveness to emails that alarmed me. I had to wait two weeks for a response with various issues I had with the Ocean, and that was after a couple of chaser emails to prompt them.

Of course this could be an isolated experience, but I really wasn’t happy about it.

Back