Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I’m aware of one owner, who has had the new amended / modified bellows fitted and they have Leaked under test.
This is a lady in Germany who’s had Californias for years…
She’s waiting a response from vw

I’m aware of one owner, who has had the new amended / modified bellows fitted and they have Leaked under test.
There is another fellow on Calibord username Buteschi or something similar who also has a leaky replacement and faired worse than the original.

But we don't know if those were the old new or the new new.:rolleyes:

Got mine booked in next Mon for leaks on my Nov '22 build Coast.

Hi all. Following some advise from earlier, I emailed the VW UK Exec office to ask whether there would be a recall or would it be a normal warranty job. My new Cali is MY23 almost certainly with the faulty bellows although I havent yet tested it.

I had a great call from The Exec Office this afternoon. (Didnt catch his name ‍♂️) He told me that recall is almost always safety related but they fully recognised the bellows problem - there are three in his office dealing with it.

The new, upgraded bellows is now in the supply chain and he is in contact with several VWCV service managers who are fitting the new bellows right now. He couldn’t say what the physical amendment is but is trying to find out. He is also in contact with customers who have just had the new bellows replaced under warranty in order to monitor the fix. He also said the Dealers are aware of the issue and the fix and should now be more sympathetic to a warranty fix. I will test mine in anger before going back to the Dealer, but the Exec Office said if it leaks, take it back.

So rhe Exec Office is aware of the issue, is in contact with Dealers and Customers and the first new bellows are being fitted. (PS. He also said he hasn’t had any issues yet with coloured bellows but that just may be chance)
My coloured bellows leaked and my replacement coloured bellows leaked. They should know this.

Terrible news. This is beginning to have all the hallmarks of a real saga.

Oh, this is rather depressing news for those of us eagerly awaiting delivery of a new Cali Ocean!
I think I will need to speak to Eurovans to seek a guarantee they will sort if our new travel chum springs a leak....maybe we will get lucky.
Thanks for all the info all. Really helpful to be sighted on the problem.

Oh, this is rather depressing news for those of us eagerly awaiting delivery of a new Cali Ocean!
I think I will need to speak to Eurovans to seek a guarantee they will sort if our new travel chum springs a leak....maybe we will get lucky.
I got an assurance from Vic at EV in writing that my van would be tested ‘thoroughly‘ for leaks prior to me collecting it. When I did my own test at home it leaked within a few minutes of having the hose on it. Vic refused my reject request (despite VWCC saying they’d provisionally support it) as I was outside the initial 30 days before doing that test and I now have to take it back there for another leak test, despite them supposedly doing that in the first place and it not leaking!! Very interested to hear their explanation when it leaks this time. Moral of the story is make sure whatever you’re asking for is more watertight than the van they’re selling you.

Last edited:
His name was Gary, I spoke to him as well. There isn't going to be a general recall type situation for this issue any time soon so if you want to get in the queue for whatever the fix is then I suggest you get your vans booked in for diagnostics.
Mines been with the dealer for two weeks for leak verification. I got it in October 22, has the light grey bellows interior finish
Chat with them today revealed that they have done nothing as it hadn't rained!
It took 4 weeks post issue to get a slot with them!
I have given them photos of the water ingress but, according to them, they have to see the issue themselves.
Went through the usual 'it's not waterproof but water resistant' routine and never heard of an a bellows issue.
Now have the van back and about to escalate.

Mines been with the dealer for two weeks for leak verification. I got it in October 22, has the light grey bellows interior finish
Chat with them today revealed that they have done nothing as it hadn't rained!
It took 4 weeks post issue to get a slot with them!
I have given them photos of the water ingress but, according to them, they have to see the issue themselves.
Went through the usual 'it's not waterproof but water resistant' routine and never heard of an a bellows issue.
Now have the van back and about to escalate
I was told by the EO today that there is no standardised test that dealers are being asked to do to confirm the ingress issue…some are using hoses, some are using pump action sprayers and it sounds like some are now waiting for it to rain ffs…unbelievable!

I was told by the EO today that there is no standardised test that dealers are being asked to do to confirm the ingress issue…some are using hoses, some are using pump action sprayers and it sounds like some are now waiting for it to rain ffs…unbelievable!
And probably will need to be the right sort of rain!

And probably will need to be the right sort of rain!
It requires steady saturating rain for best effect. Gotta get the outer layer completed sodden and continued rain to allow the water to wick through the seams. In my case all it took was 5 mins.

It requires steady saturating rain for best effect. Gotta get the outer layer completed sodden and continued rain to allow the water to wick through the seams. In my case all it took was 5 mins.
Thanks for this.
When mine leaked it was in light moderate rain which was running down between the front window flyscreen and the inner panel, eventually breaching the double seam at the bottom and pooling on the inner metal.
Now to arrange a rainshower to suit VW's service department availabilty.
Anyone know a raindance?

Yes it seems to be a problem. But it can be overcome either with a warranty fix (fingers crossed) or a Cali topper (which I have bought as contingeny). Whatever, it’s still a great vehicle so still enjoy waiting

Makes me wonder how VW themselves have tested the new new version of the bellows to ensure they no longer leak…

There is another fellow on Calibord username Buteschi or something similar who also has a leaky replacement and faired worse than the original.
Was this installed within the last week though? I get the distinct impression the latest revised bellows have literally only become available within the last week, irrespective of where you are located.

Makes me wonder how VW themselves have tested the new new version of the bellows to ensure they no longer leak…
Makes me wonder how did they test the old versions.

It does seem thought that the conditions the bellows leaks in can be quite specific; I wonder if the factory test simply didn't stress the bellows in the "right" way for the leaks to show up? Or maybe, the worst ones did show up and got corrected, but the ones that appeared to be ok actually still could leak under the right (wrong?!) conditions?

Was this installed within the last week though? I get the distinct impression the latest revised bellows have literally only become available within the last week, irrespective of where you are located.
No, it was about 6-8 weeks ago.

It does seem thought that the conditions the bellows leaks in can be quite specific; I wonder if the factory test simply didn't stress the bellows in the "right" way for the leaks to show up? Or maybe, the worst ones did show up and got corrected, but the ones that appeared to be ok actually still could leak under the right (wrong?!) conditions?
Maybe they leave the vans outside for a few weeks waiting for it to rain…

If it don’t rain… it don’t leak ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for the summary very useful. Do you happen to know where the 45p/mile came from?
Should anyone be contemplating a rejection if the latest version doesn't work, the EO told me yesterday that their official calculation for pence per mile is purchase price divided by 100,000, so quite a bit more than 45p.

Last edited:
Should anyone be contemplating a rejection if the latest version doesn't work, the EO told me yesterday that their official calculation for pence per mile is purchase price divided by 100,000, so quite a bit more than 45p.
Better get those hoses out straight away then. I had 4K on my Cali before the bellows were a confirmed leaker.

I really hope prospective New California buyers read this thread before committing.

Personally, I would not consider repurchasing until a definitive solution for the leaking bellows is found. Let’s hope the #C v2.0 bellows resolves the issues…

Helps if you have bought using finance as they have to give you back any payments made + deposit etc

As an example after 3 months if you've made 3 x. £600 finance payments & have covered 3000 miles on a £75k van you would get back £1,800 in finance payments & be charged £2,250 leaving a cost to you of £450 for 3 months

EO told me last week that the the price per mile would be in the hundreds not the thousands. I have 2050 miles on my Cali.
Better get those hoses out straight away then. I had 4K on my Cali before the bellows were a confirmed leaker.
Hmmm, interesting. I don't know how much you paid for your Cali but you may find the attached depreciation calculator link some use.

Back