Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Noticed mine leaks both from seams on windows and zips. Also leaking In from the bottom near rubber seal. It’s been an awful experience so far waking up during the night to check if water is coming in, and then placing cloths round edges to soak up water. It’s somewhat spoiled the whole experience so far.

I have booked in for replacement in a few weeks and hope to god the replacement is a new design and has been adequately modified to properly address the water ingress areas as what we have at the moment is simply not fit for purpose.
Surely VW germany must be looking at a complete redesign as what’s fitted currently is simply inadequate.
I will give VW and VWCC the chance to put this right before jumping on watchdog bandwagon.

let’s see what unfolds in coming weeks.

I have booked in for replacement in a few weeks and hope to god the replacement is a new design and has been adequately modified to properly address the water ingress areas as what we have at the moment is simply not fit for purpose.
Let’s hope so, but don’t hold your breath!

Noticed mine leaks both from seams on windows and zips. Also leaking In from the bottom near rubber seal. It’s been an awful experience so far waking up during the night to check if water is coming in, and then placing cloths round edges to soak up water. It’s somewhat spoiled the whole experience so far.

Surely VW germany must be looking at a complete redesign as what’s fitted currently is simply inadequate.
I will give VW and VWCC the chance to put this right before jumping on watchdog bandwagon.

let’s see what unfolds in coming weeks.
I‘m not sure bandwagon’s the right term, it’s only me and Corradobrit at the moment :) It’s absolutely your right to take that position but VW and SOME of their dealers are knowingly selling vehicles in this state and then passing the problem on to the consumer at the first possible opportunity. That’s just not right in my opinion and is a bigger issue than just your case or mine.

VW and SOME of their dealers are knowingly selling vehicles in this state and then passing the problem on to the consumer at the first possible opportunity.
Not mentioning any names… :mute

I‘m not sure bandwagon’s the right term, it’s only me and Corradobrit at the moment :) It’s absolutely your right to take that position but VW and SOME of their dealers are knowingly selling vehicles in this state and then passing the problem on to the consumer at the first possible opportunity. That’s just not right in my opinion and is a bigger issue than just your case or mine.
And the Cali's coming off the production line even now, will all have the leaking design. That is unconscionable, especially as they have known about the problem for well over 6 months.

And the Cali's coming off the production line even now, will all have the leaking design. That is unconscionable, especially as they have known about the problem for well over 6 months.
How many people are now holding off from ordering a Cali due to this? Me for one, we're on to the last run of Californias as we know it, I can't see VW investing too much into this problem. Hope it's not a band aid solution.

Or reversion to the previous tried and tested waterproof bellows, as I have posited before, with the best chance of that happening if all disgruntled 'twin skins' push for just that.

However I don't think many see it like that: hoping instead to hang onto to the undeniably more attractive interior of the new bellows.
I wonder how many owners with leaking twin skin bellows ordered their vehicle not aware of the MY2023 bellows change. My MY2023 delivered October ‘22 missed the change by only a week or two - but I only heard about the bellows in conversation with Eurovans nine months after I had ordered (in October 2021) and I never saw anything official.

I am not sure if it brings anything to the arguments to VW but there must be several new owners who ordered expecting the old waterproof bellows (which they probably had seen) and ended up with new the leaking ones.

Perhaps there was a brochure change?

How many people are now holding off from ordering a Cali due to this? Me for one, we're on to the last run of Californias as we know it, I can't see VW investing too much into this problem. Hope it's not a band aid solution.
And just to reiterate the current appalling situation, a German owner has posted that he collected his Beach Tour on the 12th October in Hannover. I assume they stayed the night in the new designated spaces for Oceans/Coasts/Beaches in front of the Customer Centre.
There was light overnight rain and gusty wind from the rear, and in the morning discovered the mattress was wet at the back. It appears to be entering along the lower stitched seam as we have seen so often at the front.
They informed the handover staff what had happened and were told to contact their dealer in Hamburg for further investigation, a cloth to wipe and a voucher for the Bullishop. Pretty poor response from the factory if you ask me. After handover its the customer and dealers problem.

Looking for other peoples' experiences with the new double lined pop top roof (the one that is grey outside / cream inside), and any potential solutions to the problem of leaking though the seams and fabric.

In the last week we've had complaints from customers on all four of our March 2023 Oceans that the new style pop tops have leaked, mostly though the seams in heavy rain or constant drizzle. Each of them has the new double lined lined pop top roof (grey outside / cream inside). It's not a problem that we had with our "old style" 2022 vehicles (the ones with the single grey pop top fabric) - I think it might be an issue with the new design.

I've read on the forums that putting the pop tops through a few wet / dry cycles will sort the issue as the fibres tighten up - has anyone experienced this with the new style pop top?

If not, has anyone tried something like a Nikwax application to improve waterproofness?

Collected our MY23 Ocean from Breeze, Havant on 6 October. Enjoyed a lovely weekend in the sun before taking the plunge to test at home with hose.

Gutted, but not hugely surprised to discover it is leaking after just 12minutes.

IMG_0350.jpeg

IMG_0361.jpeg

IMG_0360.jpeg

IMG_0358.jpeg

Another Swiss owner with a MY22 Cali (had the previous gen bellows which came detached at the corner). This was replaced with like for like and that also detached. The dealer then installed the new double skinned bellow replacements (dated March '23 per tag). It leaked badly through horizontal seam. A second double skinned from Oct '22 installed. It also leaked but a little less. This poor owner has now had 3 replacements and is back to square one with a poptop that is not performing to specification.

New Ocean fresh from the factory.

20231011_103919.jpg

20231011_103855.jpg

And does it leak?
Don't know, not mine, just saw it being delivered. Thought the numbers on the label might help someone doing research on the problem. It did LOOK much nicer and better quality, but as they say," looks aren't everything! "

Don't know, not mine, just saw it being delivered. Thought the numbers on the label might help someone doing research on the problem. It did LOOK much nicer and better quality, but as they say," looks aren't everything! "
The date is meaningless. Even poptop bellows with later build dates leak like a sieve.

Looks like California Chris deleted the question about leaking bellows on his latest YouTube video!

We were going to order a new one simply because of the 5 year 0% HP. It was going to cost very little overall to trade in our MY22. However we have decided not to until the roof issues are fixed and appreciate that this may mean the opportunity to order is lost.

Looks like California Chris deleted the question about leaking bellows on his latest YouTube video!
I love the title of the vlog/promo. There will not be too many 'Happy Campers' when new owners discover the extent of the leaks in the rain.

Do know what the question and answer was!!!!
The question was any update on these leaking bellows Chris that every 23y model is being fitted with. The silence from VW is deafening.

Chris didn’t answer and deleted the question I guess.
In his defence he is car salesman at the end of the day!

Someone else has just asked the same question. Let’s see how long it takes to get deleted.

The question was any update on these leaking bellows Chris that every 23y model is being fitted with. The silence from VW is deafening.

Chris didn’t answer and deleted the question I guess.
In his defence he is car salesman at the end of the day!
But he is also peddling a vehicle with a serious defect that is known to everyone ie manufacturer and dealer, at this point.

But he is also peddling a vehicle with a serious defect that is known to everyone ie manufacturer and dealer, at this point.
I know. I’m sure he would probably get sacked if he mentions it.

Back