Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

See your point. We take delivery next week and we always intended on getting a wrap anyway for sound insulation and black out qualities. I didn’t particularly want to put down the roof soaking wet either. So we get a wrap and start enjoying the van and keep our fingers crossed that ours might not leak. However, it’s still a kick in the teeth dropping £70k on a vehicle that might not be fit for purpose. Why should customers have to fork out another £500 to make them waterproof. The whole thing is a mess.
I'm with you and some others. I have a new Ocean and the bellows is not yet tested in the rain. However, I deliberately bought a topper for peace of mind until VW sort the bellows issue out with a leakproof fabric. I also agree about a wet bellows and the topper will also give extra insulation in the winter season. I'm enjoying getting the Cali ready and packed for our first proper expo next week.
PS. The VW Exec office has told me that sealant tape and 'topical' treatments are not advised and may impact the warranty. So it's a new bellows if mine leaks and its a new version.

i guess it's different for everyone, but i do a lot of quite random travelling in my van. lots of one night quick stopovers in lay-bys, park4night locations, outside friends houses, i like to pull up late, pop the roof up and have my evening, then pull it down and head off in the morning. i really don't want to be putting a topper on and off for that sort of thing. i guess it isn't raining that often, but sometimes it is, and sometimes you get unexpected weather. i can pull the roof down in those situations but not when i have my kids. for me, needing to put a topper up in case of rain would be a real turn off for the whole idea of this van. i certainly wouldn't buy it now if i had a choice until i was sure of a fix.

Got a
Collected our MY23 Ocean from Breeze, Havant on 6 October. Enjoyed a lovely weekend in the sun before taking the plunge to test at home with hose.

Gutted, but not hugely surprised to discover it is leaking after just 12minutes.

View attachment 115497

View attachment 115498

View attachment 115499

View attachment 115500
Coast in 2022 - had issues with the roof ever since. Roof replaced with new bellows- poorly fitted. Replaced with the new leaky ones and now all gone silent.

Got a

Coast in 2022 - had issues with the roof ever since. Roof replaced with new bellows- poorly fitted. Replaced with the new leaky ones and now all gone silent.
What a nightmare. Is it the dealer or VW Executive Office or both that are not responding?

What a nightmare. Is it the dealer or VW Executive Office or both that are not responding?
The selling dealer says it’s now in the hands of current repairing dealer. VW Executive Office avoid questions about the known leaking bellows fault. They told me they couldn’t get in touch with the repairing dealer 10 days ago and nothing since. Appalling.

Anyone got a copy of the video?
i viewed the video again just this minute and the two comments are still showing up on my version. admittedly I‘m in the opposite hemisphere (down under) so not sure if that makes a difference. I am surprised that others watching are not commenting or displaying surprise about your bellows comments!!!!

i viewed the video again just this minute and the two comments are still showing up on my version. admittedly I‘m in the opposite hemisphere (down under) so not sure if that makes a difference. I am surprised that others watching are not commenting or displaying surprise about your bellows comments!!!!

I have bought a Cali Wrap. Got fed up waiting for a solution and want to use the van. VW refused to get me one, so ordered one off the club shop. Great service, ordered Monday and received today.

Anybody on here got their van in at Peterborough for new bellows? The guy I'm dealing with said they would look at mine when they have finished with another on.
Hi. Just a quick question. I haven’t actually had my roof up in the rain as yet. With the wrap do you still get air flow in to the roof via the little vents near the top

Hi. Just a quick question. I haven’t actually had my roof up in the rain as yet. With the wrap do you still get air flow in to the roof via the little vents near the top
On the club shop reviews somebody said they had the cali wrap with no windows or vents. They said they had some condensation and wished they had ordered it with vents.

I ordered no windows, with vents. I assumed that there would be vents in it that would line up with the vents in the bellows, which was incorrect. I couldn't find any pictures of it. The wrap has no windows but side window shaped vent flaps with plastic mesh. It's the colour you order on one side and silver on the other. I think its for hot sunny weather.

I haven't used it yet though.

16974930700522294088839084753377.jpg

16974931160625441626425350970723.jpg

16974931525577318319526314999002.jpg

On the club shop reviews somebody said they had the cali wrap with no windows or vents. They said they had some condensation and wished they had ordered it with vents.

I ordered no windows, with vents. I assumed that there would be vents in it that would line up with the vents in the bellows, which was incorrect. I couldn't find any pictures of it. The wrap has no windows but side window shaped vent flaps with plastic mesh. It's the colour you order on one side and silver on the other. I think its for hot sunny weather.

View attachment 115579

View attachment 115580

View attachment 115581
Fit wind deflectors on front windows. I vent my van that way. Works a treat

View attachment 115579

View attachment 115580

View attachment 115581
Thanks for the reply and pictures

Fit wind deflectors on front windows. I vent my van that way. Works a treat
Have you got the genuine vw stick on ones or aftermarket? Couldn't see any on the club shop but found some on ebay.

Have you got the genuine vw stick on ones or aftermarket? Couldn't see any on the club shop but found some on ebay.
I use the Climair light smoke ones. Easy to install. No drilling required. Doesn't impede the window function. Very satisfied.

I have a pucer pop top screen, works very well, easy to put on and off, leaves the vents free at the top, can be wiped down easily if wet. Cheaper than most of the alternatives. I think campervan journey have a YT video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the Comfortz and it's not mega tight to the wrap, so you do get some ventilation through the vents still. Unless all occupants are sleeping upstairs, I would suggest you find a way to ventilate the downstairs through (deflectors, rain guards on the side windows etc..).

I've got the Comfortz and it's not mega tight to the wrap, so you do get some ventilation through the vents still. Unless all occupants are sleeping upstairs, I would suggest you find a way to ventilate the downstairs through (deflectors, rain guards on the side windows etc..).
I even looked at YBS Thermal wrap from Toolstation for £31.49. You can get a roll big enough to go around the pop top. Would probably need some seem around the edges and support for the corners adding. If you know somebody with a wrap you could use as a template.

Bought the Comfortz cali wrap as I didn't want to look like a cheapskate but some of the wraps available do look like a similar material to the YBS. At that price you could throw it away when VW fix the bellows.

Screenshot_20231017_081205_Chrome.jpg

A Wrap fits next to the canvas so will obstruct the vents. A topper fits over the roof and because the roof overhangs the canvas the Topper sides are held away from the canvas and so you still get adequate ventilation. Also you can open the canvas windows as they are protected by the external topper.

How do you open those vents? just thinking the zips must be on the outside so you would have to wind in the awning & ladder up the side of the van to reach them, is that right?

Back