Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

He answered this mornings comment (not very well but I suppose his hands are tied) but deleted two from last night. The whole situation is a complete mess.

He answered this mornings comment (not very well but I suppose his hands are tied) but deleted two from last night. The whole situation is a complete mess.
Maybe the Trading Standards Authority can do something. VW are still advertising and selling a vehicle that is not fit for purpose. The leaking poptop means that this is a 2 berth and not a 4 berth campervan.
The response follows the Corporate line of denial and deflection. And when faced with the evidence to go complain to the selling dealer. My local dealer in Hannover said 6 weeks ago they were unaware of an issue. Last Saturday when I went to cancel my appointment they at least admitted to knowing 'something' about it.

Maybe the Trading Standards Authority can do something. VW are still advertising and selling a vehicle that is not fit for purpose. The leaking poptop means that this is a 2 berth and not a 4 berth campervan.
The response follows the Corporate line of denial and deflection. And when faced with the evidence to go complain to the selling dealer. My local dealer in Hannover said 6 weeks ago they were unaware of an issue. Last Saturday when I went to cancel my appointment they at least admitted to knowing 'something' about it.
Some dealers here in the UK are still telling customers they are not waterproof but only showerproof. Disgusting really.

How many people are now holding off from ordering a Cali due to this? Me for one, we're on to the last run of Californias as we know it, I can't see VW investing too much into this problem. Hope it's not a band aid solution.
After returning my Ocean, I’m one of those holding off buying again until the bellows are resolved by VW. I am not confident this will happen before the order book closes. The new fabric has been in production for about a year now and look where we are…

Initially in an email VWCV said they would find out how I could get one supplied. Then, on a call, they said they hadn't been tested so not approving them. If it changes they could reimburse me, let us know if you get anything out of them.

Annoyed, I pointed out their error and suggested they should not call me anymore and just email me. They did stop being ridiculous wanting me to get a second test on my bellows. Looking at the recent posts, I assume they would have got the dealer to sit the van outside and wait for it to rain. Think they will attemp every trick in the book to squirm out of this. As my van is a demonstrator, I probably don't have as much consumer rights as somebody buying a new one.

I think a video of new and old bellows set up next eachother with the ladder and hose on spray would be good. Or even to see the same test on the single skin bellows. This would show the new do not perform as well as the old.

I did comment at the start of all this that they should perform like the old. There was a short reply by somebody saying "old bellows leak too". I have never seen anybody reporting this though, just condensation.
I took mine to the dealer and they had it for two weeks waiting for rain to validate the photos I took of the leaks. It didn't rain and they didn't bother to tell me that they hadn't tested it when I turned up to collect.
Now waiting for rain to arrive!

Just had a telephone conversation with dealer who currently have my van and they state they have had the roof up in rain over the weekend and can find no leak. Complete nonsense. It must have been my imagination to find a pool of water on the sill inside the roof !!

Just part of the ongoing sh*tshow that they don’t have a standardised test. Five minutes and a hose is all it takes and yet they’re keeping hold of peoples’ vans for 2 weeks. It’s absolutely laughable.

Some dealers here in the UK are still telling customers they are not waterproof but only showerproof. Disgusting really.
So you can't even raise the roof to stand up in the camper when it is raining? Then why the hell are VW selling a camper in the UK with a pop top roof. It is beyond a joke. I would never have bought our camping if that were the case.

In fairness Chris did respond and didn't delete the question. Not a great answer though.
same california chris who shows a sagging roof at the beginning of all his vids, bet he doesn't talk about that much either.

We're happily taking delivery of our new Ocean this week. I've read all of the messages in this thread and the previous closed thread. So, I've also ordered a topper. Given the fact that this is the end of the t6.1 California run, that they are offering 5 years no interest finance, 5 years warranty, etc, etc, I can put up with the bellows potentially leaking. If ours leaks, I believe it will get fixed in time, and we will use the topper when rain is forecast until then. I can't see why this would prevent anyone from purchasing a new California, but to each their own. There are so many other reasons to have a California, and so many other compromises, that we've decided we can live with this. (We previously had a Tisher demountable which had it's own set of compromises.). We also ordered the van in beige intentionally, so I guess we are outliers there as well.

We're happily taking delivery of our new Ocean this week. I've read all of the messages in this thread and the previous closed thread. So, I've also ordered a topper. Given the fact that this is the end of the t6.1 California run, that they are offering 5 years no interest finance, 5 years warranty, etc, etc, I can put up with the bellows potentially leaking. If ours leaks, I believe it will get fixed in time, and we will use the topper when rain is forecast until then. I can't see why this would prevent anyone from purchasing a new California, but to each their own. There are so many other reasons to have a California, and so many other compromises, that we've decided we can live with this. (We previously had a Tisher demountable which had it's own set of compromises.). We also ordered the van in beige intentionally, so I guess we are outliers there as well.
You will love it.... andVW will fix the problem...... eventually. The inherent design problem will affect all the Cali's built from the end of 9/22 onwards, until its addressed and that could run into the 1000's

It’s very much each to their own. 95% of the time I don’t have my roof up due to the way I use my van. For the other 5% of the time, I now have a topper. No sweat, it will get sorted in time. I’m in touch with my dealer and VWCV to add to the pressure but in the meantime, I’ll enjoy my van thanks.

For me, rejection would be an overreaction and it’s not something I would do. But, as you say, each to their own. I can understand a family of four (for example) rejecting it or cancelling the order and I respect that. But for others, it’s not the route to go down. I hope you enjoy your new van as much as I’m am.

See your point. We take delivery next week and we always intended on getting a wrap anyway for sound insulation and black out qualities. I didn’t particularly want to put down the roof soaking wet either. So we get a wrap and start enjoying the van and keep our fingers crossed that ours might not leak. However, it’s still a kick in the teeth dropping £70k on a vehicle that might not be fit for purpose. Why should customers have to fork out another £500 to make them waterproof. The whole thing is a mess.

I agree. It is a mess and I think the VW response so far has been at best, poor and at worst, disingenuous. I could easily become obsessed with the whole thing. However, that would only impact on my enjoyment of the van and not improve the response from VW. I think we just need to keep up the collective pressure. For some, that means cancelling orders or vehicle rejection. For others, dealer/VW dialogue or using social media pressure.

I agree. It is a mess and I think the VW response so far has been at best, poor and at worst, disingenuous. I could easily become obsessed with the whole thing. However, that would only impact on my enjoyment of the van and improve the response from VW. I think we just need to keep up the collective pressure. For some, that means cancelling orders or vehicle rejection. For others, dealer/VW dialogue or using social media pressure.
There are legal avenues too. A Class Action lawsuit, for which the EU has mechanisms. Calibord, social media and this site are invaluable for bringing together disaffected owners.

Back