Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I can’t understand why anyone would keep these vehicles if they are in their rejection period.
VW won’t be fixing any bellows or spending any serious money on replacements before they cease production and release the new one next year. Why would they?
I told everyone my contact in Germany said the new bellows / modified bellows still leak, return the vehicles if you can asap.
And let vw know what you think!!

Horrendous service for an extremely overpriced vehicle.
I’d love to hear a bit more about your contact in Germany as they seem to know exactly what’s going on. Care to share a bit more info with us? It would be great to know what’s really going on at VW HQ.

I had an email from customercare on Monday, chasing me to see if I have booked my van in for bellows issue.

I don't understand why they are pushing to get them fitted. They must be testing back at hq.

It must be quite embarrassing for the service centres. I assume its why they haven't contacted me to book it in.

Those pre November bellows are looking more attractive as the months go by. There would be a lot of fed-up customers but a least they would be dry!

Dilemma, if you had the choice, keep your new sieve, sorry bellows and caliwarp it if it looks like rain or go back to the single skin.

Last edited:
I have posted more than once my view that it might be worth new leaking bellow owners making a co-ordinated call for reviving the old type bellows as the least problematic solution (albeit visually inferior internally).

In this context, has anyone with an older California needed, very recently, replacement bellows, and if so what did they get? My point being are any bellows still in production using the older (dependable) single skin canvas?

I have posted more than once my view that it might be worth new leaking bellow owners making a co-ordinated call for reviving the old type bellows as the least problematic solution (albeit visually inferior internally).

In this context, has anyone with an older California needed, very recently, replacement bellows, and if so what did they get? My point being are any bellows still in production using the older (dependable) single skin canvas?
The old bellows have been superseded by the new version. If you have a problem with a MY22 or earlier California bellows and need a replacement, that is what you will receive.

In my opinion everyone with the older bellows should do everything they can to avoid needing a replacement!

I’d love to hear a bit more about your contact in Germany as they seem to know exactly what’s going on. Care to share a bit more info with us? It would be great to know what’s really going on at VW HQ.
I very much doubt anyone has the inside track…

Think my comment might have been removed because I mentioned this Forum as a good source for “leaky roof” info!
@CaliLeaks is proving popular on YouTube LoL

@CaliLeaks is proving popular on YouTube LoL
Just had another look…… the “Happy Camper” promotion on FB may not have been a good idea! It seems to be generating more work for the sales team than the flood of orders they were hoping for!

Just had another look…… the “Happy Camper” promotion on FB may not have been a good idea! It seems to be generating more work for the sales team than the flood of orders they were hoping for!
Interesting choice of words… ‘flood’ LoL

I very much doubt anyone has the inside track…
I’m of the same thinking, but apparently someone has a mate who knows exactly what’s going on. Would love to know.

Looking for other peoples' experiences with the new double lined pop top roof (the one that is grey outside / cream inside), and any potential solutions to the problem of leaking though the seams and fabric.

In the last week we've had complaints from customers on all four of our March 2023 Oceans that the new style pop tops have leaked, mostly though the seams in heavy rain or constant drizzle. Each of them has the new double lined lined pop top roof (grey outside / cream inside). It's not a problem that we had with our "old style" 2022 vehicles (the ones with the single grey pop top fabric) - I think it might be an issue with the new design.

I've read on the forums that putting the pop tops through a few wet / dry cycles will sort the issue as the fibres tighten up - has anyone experienced this with the new style pop top?

If not, has anyone tried something like a Nikwax application to improve waterproofness?
My 23 plate California is with VW today for testing, will post the response

IMG_1511.jpeg

IMG_1506.jpeg

I was championing VW early on in this fiasco and that they would step up to the plate in the face of so many complaints, but at this point in time I don't have any confidence VW will come up with a proper fix. With the numbers affected in the UK and on the Continent the silence is incomprehensible. Any online dissent is deflected, ignored or cancelled. Dealers are saying its an isolated issue if they acknowledge it at all. Or say its user error and poptop should be lowered in any saturating rain.
There is no way I would place an order at this point in time, in the hope a remedy is forthcoming. And anyone in the 30 day window should reject. There I said it.
This is an altogether depressing situation in which owners currently find themselves.

I know theres implications for warranty, but has anyone tried either tent-like sealant tape or a topical solvent on the leaking seams ? If so, was it successful and what did you use ?

As warranty doesnt seem to provide any working solution, should I be bothered about preserving it …

Think my comment might have been removed because I mentioned this Forum as a good source for “leaky roof” info!
FB is a puzzle! Leaky Roof comments appear to have been reinstated!

I've heard of plenty problems with cars at launch which have to be ironed out, but I've never heard of a problem at the end of the production which wasn't there previously. Absolutely bonkers, I'll be letting my dealer know before I collect mine that if it leaks I will be rejecting it within 30 days, so they may as well save themselves any trouble by checking beforehand.....

The old bellows have been superseded by the new version. If you have a problem with a MY22 or earlier California bellows and need a replacement, that is what you will receive.

In my opinion everyone with the older bellows should do everything they can to avoid needing a replacement!
I am sure you researched this @Kayleigh , and I certainly haven't, but I am surprised: because if I understand it correctly there have been dimensional variations over the years. But then perhaps all the historic patterns have been transferred to the new fabricator. This is assuming the latter has changed, if they haven't it seems even more surprising - with all the complaints - that VW don't simply revert to the old fabric.

@Jimmylondon07
I've followed your thread with trepidation and interest as I'm following a similar path than you. My contact at EV is ignoring many of my routine emails about the general purchase so I dread to think what it'll be like when I take delivery hopefully sometime in Nov!!!!
You posted in an earlier thread that WBAC offered you £800 more than what you paid, I was wondering why that didn't pan out or is that still a back up option as a profit and walking away seems to be a win/win ?

I've also been adding my comments to their FB campaign.... I get a standard response.. "Please DM us and we will look into your issue and provide an update"
I spoke to my local van centre today and their service manager told me that they've replaced the bellows on 2 vans in the last week with the so called re designed bellows and when tested they've both leaked!. He says he's emailed the technical team at VW who have failed to respond. So if he can't get any help or support from VW, what chance do the rest of us have?

I know theres implications for warranty, but has anyone tried either tent-like sealant tape or a topical solvent on the leaking seams ? If so, was it successful and what did you use ?

As warranty doesnt seem to provide any working solution, should I be bothered about preserving it …
Give it a go and let us know please!

Any chance we can get a topper please Tom?
I asked the Exec Office this question last Friday, and they replied saying would investigate and get back to me - not heard back from them yet. Will chase up tomorrow. Previously they agreed to get one sent to my local dealer for collection, but then withdrew that offer a few days later on the basis the new “improved” bellows were now available and a topper wouldn’t be required !

Back