Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

After Dieselgate you'd think the last thing VW would want would be more negative PR.......

...Now that would attract publicity!
Sadly I doubt that anyone other than the California “community“ is interested.
Despite the epic farce of the corroding roofs I don’t recall any of the Motorhome/Campervan publications taking an interest. In fact you very seldom read any critical reviews other very minor points in these publications and it’s much the same with the modern profession of influencing. They can’t afford to fallout with the manucturers.

Should anyone be contemplating a rejection if the latest version doesn't work, the EO told me yesterday that their official calculation for pence per mile is purchase price divided by 100,000, so quite a bit more than 45p.
Hi! Do you happen to know who was the person at the EO who said this? That would be really useful.
TIA

An owner on Calibord is getting his bellows replaced today. Lets see if VW have been beavering away behind the scenes and making incremental changes to fix the leaks. He seems quite hopeful but isn't everyone until the test results are in..... :rolleyes:
:talktothehand

The fact that the new bellows was introduced for the final MY of the T6.1 leads me to think that this is the forerunner of the bellows to be used on the next generation of the California which will be in production, probably within 6 months, so VW will fix it. It will also be available as a replacement for previous models. As far as I am aware all models from T5 to the T6.1 can use the same bellows the only differences being hydraulic/manual roofs and colour.
It is unfortunate that VW, along with many large companies are abysmal at Customer Service and treat their customers as simpletons who don't need to be treated with respect as Big Brother VW knows best.
A simple 1 paragraph press release would go a long way to quell the rising anger.
" We accept there is a problem. We are investigating and working on a remedy. ".
So simple but it seems so difficult for big business to admit.

An owner on Calibord is getting his bellows replaced today. Lets see if VW have been beavering away behind the scenes and making incremental changes to fix the leaks. He seems quite hopeful but isn't everyone until the test results are in..... :rolleyes:
My latest (3rd) bellows was made in batch date 20/09/2023 and was fitted last week. Sadly still leaks along bottom edge of curved zip (not the outside edge zip) and at the base of the canvass. Quite a fast drip. (especially on the offside)

The fact that the new bellows was introduced for the final MY of the T6.1 leads me to think that this is the forerunner of the bellows to be used on the next generation of the California which will be in production, probably within 6 months, so VW will fix it. It will also be available as a replacement for previous models. As far as I am aware all models from T5 to the T6.1 can use the same bellows the only differences being hydraulic/manual roofs and colour.
I'm not so sure. The bellows in the MV Cali Concept is a complete departure from what we have in the T6.1. For example its triple skinned rather than double layered and the seams appear more robust and effective at discouraging water infiltration. So unless VW plan to modify that design for the T5/6, then I think all we can expect is some bandaid type fix to make the current bellows water resistant for a couple of years (while under warranty). I don't have much confidence a major redesign is on the cards.

So the question will be what will go on the T7 Ford/VW collab (if that materializes) especially since the factory in Hannover is supposed to be outfitting the habitation area as they currently do for the T6.1.

It is unfortunate that VW, along with many large companies are abysmal at Customer Service and treat their customers as simpletons who don't need to be treated with respect as Big Brother VW knows best.
A simple 1 paragraph press release would go a long way to quell the rising anger.
" We accept there is a problem. We are investigating and working on a remedy. ".
So simple but it seems so difficult for big business to admit.
Agree, that simple acknowledgment of the issue and a guarantee to purchasers to retrospectively replace roof is all that is needed.
I assume their legal team stop them admitting any liability.

Anyone know Shahid's (at the EO) surname please.

Shahid Khan

Do they have personal email boxes? I've only ever used the generic one.

So the question will be what will go on the T7 Ford/VW collab (if that materializes) especially since the factory in Hannover is supposed to be outfitting the habitation area as they currently do for the T6.1.
Interesting. Do you have a source for this info?

Shahid Khan

Do they have personal email boxes? I've only ever used the generic one.
Me too, I use the generic address and put "FAO Shahid Khan" above the greeting and it seems to get through.

As far as I am aware all models from T5 to the T6.1 can use the same bellows the only differences being hydraulic/manual roofs and colour.
There was a change somewhere near the end of T5 early T5.1, the hight when erected is a couple of inches different so a newer bellows won't fit. I seem to remember it became a problem in about 2014 when people started making toppers only to find that they didn't fit all vans correctly.

The tell tale sign is that early ones had the bottom of side window parallel with the raised roof, all newer ones the bottom of the window is horizontal.
Pic below is an early one.
IMG_1393.jpeg

Seems to be some mixed messaging over on Calibord. On the fabric; I don't think it's got anything to do with the new Cali, I suspect the supplier has changed (probably not through choice) and that's resulted in a different material and/or design.

My latest (3rd) bellows was made in batch date 20/09/2023 and was fitted last week. Sadly still leaks along bottom edge of curved zip (not the outside edge zip) and at the base of the canvass. Quite a fast drip. (especially on the offside)

this is just ridiculous. third time....what are they doing? i'm speechless really.

this is just ridiculous. third time....what are they doing? i'm speechless really.
Mad world! Guess there’s no incentive for the dealer to stop the process if they get paid by VW for every roof change but you’d think someone at VW would have the gumption to say “stop“!

Cynically, for everyone who kicks off about the leaking bellows (rightly so) there'll be another who'll not realise through lack of use, another who won't find out until it's too late and another who'll just accept it. For this reason I think VW will stick to their plan of doing bugger all..

On a separate note, I wonder if they'll plagiarise the bellows design from the Nugget for the shared platform T7?

Just to be clear and to avoid doubt, when I say 3rd I include the bellows that was supplied with the vehicle when new. So that is one plus two replacements. Still not good.

For those old enough to remember Are You Being Served, the excuses given by VW and some of the dealers amounts to the same as "don't worry about the sleeves being too long, they'll ride up with wear!!"

I’ll report back next week as mine are being replaced Tuesday. Latest version I’m told. We shall see.

edit: I won’t now as they’re on back order. Hopefully waiting for a better quality.

Last edited:
I’ve not recieved my Cali yet so can’t really complain about it…. Yet.

If anyone wants to find VW contacts, a quick search of LinkedIn should help. If you pay for LinkedIn Premium you will be able to send them DMs. You might get someone’s attention. Worth a try.

Back