Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I was told that the part number for the latest has NR at the end. There’s a photo of the part number fitted to mine in one of my early posts. No idea how that compares to others.

V7LA 875 059 C8 NR
The second to last two letters are the variation number for VW parts. So this is the 8th version of variant C. Rest stays the same.

I really hope this is not the solution VW are using… Has the part number now changed? If not, what has I wonder.

View attachment 116076
I suspect it is. This and looser fitting bellows so the stitching holes aren’t stretched open. This may provide an adequate enough solution and is possibly fit for purpose now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re still not as water tight as the previous generation bellows.

It may not be over. These bellows leak and another owner with bellows from the October manufacture are leaking along the lower seam.

bellows.jpg

Yes, I misread Kayleigh's question. Lower seam where it attaches to the roof is what I meant.
OK. Yes mine has some significant stitching holes at the corners along that seam. They were exacerbated by the taut fabric as well.

OK. Yes mine has some significant stitching holes at the corners along that seam. They were exacerbated by the taut fabric as well.
On my original bellows this was the main area of leaksge along the front edge, but on my replacement bellows these holes were nowhere near as taut along the straight edges, but still taut and leaky in the corners.

Mine were dated end of September test/manufacture, but that doesn't mean to say there aren't two different versions of bellows in circulation from the same time period. Depending on where exactly it leaks on the join, it could be install error as if that lower edge isn't sealed in properly then it may still leak with perfect bellows.

Mine were dated end of September test/manufacture, but that doesn't mean to say there aren't two different versions of bellows in circulation from the same time period. Depending on where exactly it leaks on the join, it could be install error as if that lower edge isn't sealed in properly then it may still leak with perfect bellows.
It’s definitely not an installation issue on that lower seam if it leaks the same way mine did. It’s another stitched seam that gets stretched open under tension. 100% a manufacture/design issue.

Well, all I know is in my case they leaked with the original and 1st replacement bellows, these latest ones they didn't under the same test conditions. I will test mine in anger at the weekend (assuming we get rain!), but I honestly think VW must think there's some potential for improvement or else why keep expending so much money on replacing them time and time again?

Unlike the front window it’s really easy to see if you’ll have an issue with the lower seam or not. Here are some photos of my original bellows vs replacement bellows. The originals have pin holes everywhere on this seam and leaked liked a sieve. The replacement had far fewer pin holes and was much better, but still leaked where you can see daylight shining through. Just put your roof up and look for these holes, then look carefully in this area when you hose/rain test it.

I found the lower seam also seems to suffer leakage from water landing directly here on the outside rather than seeping into the fabric as these holes go directly through to the outside.

1699258231965.jpeg
1699258248392.jpeg
1699258260427.jpeg
1699258270928.jpeg

Unlike the front window it’s really easy to see if you’ll have an issue with the lower seam or not. Here are some photos of my original bellows vs replacement bellows. The originals have pin holes everywhere on this seam and leaked liked a sieve. The replacement had far fewer pin holes and was much better, but still leaked where you can see daylight shining through. Just put your roof up and look for these holes, then look carefully in this area when you hose/rain test it.

I found the lower seam also seems to suffer leakage from water landing directly here on the outside rather than seeping into the fabric as these holes go directly through to the outside.

View attachment 116086
View attachment 116087
View attachment 116088
View attachment 116089
Looks much better in the middle but not so good in the corners.
Did it leak from any other seams/zips?

Looks much better in the middle but not so good in the corners.
Did it leak from any other seams/zips?
Yes the replacement was a much looser fit and didn’t have the same issue in the middle. The corners still leaked badly though, exactly as the pinholes suggest. It did also leak through the front window and the vertical seams on the front corners.

Yes the replacement was a much looser fit and didn’t have the same issue in the middle. The corners still leaked badly though, exactly as the pinholes suggest. It did also leak through the front window and the vertical seams on the front corners.
When did you have your bellows (most recent ones if more than one!) replaced?

When did you have your bellows (most recent ones if more than one!) replaced?
Mine were replaced in late July. It was a very early replacement and don’t think there was a design change then. Part number was exactly the same. The new set were definitely better than the original set though. But the issue of the leaking at the lower seam sounds like it could still potentially be a problem on recent replacements that are the most up to date version. I hope not but this is perhaps an area to check carefully for anyone with the newest replacements.

Perhaps I've missed the post, but what's the source of this latest leaky bellows? I don't recall seeing anyone who is a member on here stating it, just @Corradobrit mentioning it had occurred? Given we seem to have literally in the last week seen the transition from naff > good bellows, timing could be quite critical here (irrespective of the date stamped on the bellows as I think there was less than a week in it on my replacements, yet one leaks and the other didn't during testing). My guess is there is an overlap in the dates - not sure how it happens in real terms, but that does support the theory.

Perhaps I've missed the post, but what's the source of this latest leaky bellows? I don't recall seeing anyone who is a member on here stating it, just @Corradobrit mentioning it had occurred? Given we seem to have literally in the last week seen the transition from naff > good bellows, timing could be quite critical here (irrespective of the date stamped on the bellows as I think there was less than a week in it on my replacements, yet one leaks and the other didn't during testing). My guess is there is an overlap in the dates - not sure how it happens in real terms, but that does support the theory.
My sources were 2 posters on Calibord, one with late Sept and the other early Oct bellows production dates.

Great to hear the positive reports from Betsycalifornia, we have just started the process and up to now i have to say VW customer service 2 out of 10, felt like they just wanted to ignore the issue. Have to say it took two e-mail replies from VW customer service to get one you could understand and the phone message was impossible to understand. :-(
How ever the Dealer has agreed it leaks and has placed an order for new bellows and will be doing it mid January so hopefully we get one that does not leak! Seams and pin holes seem to be the biggest common issue so one to check!

So we have two positive stories from Rocknrollin and Betsycalifornia.

Has no-one else had replacements in the last 7 days??

not yet, I asked Eurovans if I could collect mine tomorrow whilst I’m in Crawley and they said no as they can’t release it until it’s been fully tested in line with VW and their technical department. They’ve had it for 14 days now and fitted the new bellows on Thursday last week so it seems very strange to me.

Back