Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Hi Betsy
Thanks for upi
Water test completed, no rain of worthy mention here today so I reverted to my normal garden hosepipe. Started off very wary with a mist that was quite light, aimed directly at the front of the bellows. Nothing at all after 5 minutes.
Got mega confident and turned the hose on full with a heavy spray pattern, aimed again at the bellows largest area standing just in front of the front bumper (got a bit closer now). A solid 5 minutes longer. I’m now gobsmacked as it’s still bone dry inside. Left it to rest now for 30 minutes (thought the water might wet the canvas and drain down like the old bellows did). Repeated the hose on full for another 5 minutes. It’s still dry. Left it now for 2 hours still nothing at all inside. No weeping dripping or seeping. No glistening. The old bellows failed within 5 minutes previously.

noticeable differences between this bellows and the old one.
canvas doesn’t change colour when being subjected to water
inside the base of the bellows appears to be hermetically sealed rubber. The old wasn't, I think it was cloth.
it’s moderately less tight, but hardly noticeable.
err, it’s dry inside :)

can’t get to the numbers inside it would damage the bellows.

I will sign off that it’s fine when I’ve had a night of heavy rain but I’m very optimistic now.

the bellows that were replaced were the ones that came on the vehicle when new in September.

View attachment 116027

View attachment 116028

View attachment 116029
Water test completed, no rain of worthy mention here today so I reverted to my normal garden hosepipe. Started off very wary with a mist that was quite light, aimed directly at the front of the bellows. Nothing at all after 5 minutes.
Got mega confident and turned the hose on full with a heavy spray pattern, aimed again at the bellows largest area standing just in front of the front bumper (got a bit closer now). A solid 5 minutes longer. I’m now gobsmacked as it’s still bone dry inside. Left it to rest now for 30 minutes (thought the water might wet the canvas and drain down like the old bellows did). Repeated the hose on full for another 5 minutes. It’s still dry. Left it now for 2 hours still nothing at all inside. No weeping dripping or seeping. No glistening. The old bellows failed within 5 minutes previously.

noticeable differences between this bellows and the old one.
canvas doesn’t change colour when being subjected to water
inside the base of the bellows appears to be hermetically sealed rubber. The old wasn't, I think it was cloth.
it’s moderately less tight, but hardly noticeable.
err, it’s dry inside :)

can’t get to the numbers inside it would damage the bellows.

I will sign off that it’s fine when I’ve had a night of heavy rain but I’m very optimistic now.

the bellows that were replaced were the ones that came on the vehicle when new in September.

View attachment 116027

View attachment 116028

View attachment 116029
Hi Betsy
Thank you for your info. We need to have ours changed, do you have any idea what to ask for? Obviously like for like pop top will be the same. Do you know what’s different with the new one. Our Cali is 3 months old and leaking

Can anyone clarify whether VW will only replace for free under manufacturer’s warranty, an all-in warranty, or as a recall regardless of warranty please?

Can anyone clarify whether VW will only replace for free under manufacturer’s warranty, an all-in warranty, or as a recall regardless of warranty please?
It won’t be a recall
If you are on All-in warranty your van would be too old to have the affected roof
It’s only vans built from about September 22 and newer that are affected.

CaliforniaBetsy did you test the sides as well? When I get mine back I’m going to leave the hose on it for a fair bit longer than two 5 minute intervals and attack all zipped areas I think.

Last edited:
Recalls are only ever for safety issues. The actual term is "safety recall". The organisation of a recall is a massive job and has to be registered with the authorities who also manage and monitor them.

This wont be a recall. It will either be a fix at next service on all vehicles (unlikely due to cost) or fix on request, under warranty approval, as a customer requests and the fault is proven.

Last edited:
CaliforniaBetsy did you test the sides as well? When I get mine back I’m going to leave the hose on it for a fair bit longer than two 5 minute intervals and attack all zipped areas I think.
I only did the front and the edges near the front. Currently having its rain test. We’re in Nottingham and it’s raining heavily. Roof has been up since 09:30. Still bone dry. It’ll be up until tomorrow around 3 now. See how it copes if the rain continues.
How weird. I was happy it rained today.

I only did the front and the edges near the front. Currently having its rain test. We’re in Nottingham and it’s raining heavily. Roof has been up since 09:30. Still bone dry. It’ll be up until tomorrow around 3 now. See how it copes if the rain continues.
How weird. I was happy it rained today.
This is very compelling. I'm beginning to let myself believe VW have actually come through. To seal the deal I want @Jimmylondon07 to have a dry interior.......

By the time I’m finished my driveway will look like an episode of the Blue Planet
Hopefully not the Victoria Falls as the water cascades out the sliding door. My fingers are crossed its the Sahara in there.

New Cali ordered so watching with interest! My 2009 Beach canvas has never leaked a drop. Can’t imagine the problem won’t be sorted, fingers crossed it has.

I ordered a new Cali due Feb hoping someone would post this would be fixed by then.

Not all heroes wear capes

It's great news that there appears to be some light at the end of the bellows tunnel.

Went to vw main dealer and was surprised to see all their calis had the roofs open in pouring rain. I was expecting to have them say we can't put them up as we wouldn't be able to get them dry. Had a look at two Oceans (23 & 73 plate), both new bellows had a small amount of water collecting at the lower frame joint, the 23 plate had one drip I could see. This surprised me as expected a lot more but guess the roofs had only been open an hour or two. I took a picture of the 73 vans tag for reference.

20231104_095915.jpg

I’m hopeful and feeling positive about this but not jumping for joy just yet until I hear more positive news from others, especially under more severe conditions.

I’m hopeful and feeling positive about this but not jumping for joy just yet until I hear more positive news from others, especially under more severe conditions.
I agree, I think we need to hear a repeat of @Betsycalifornia experiences from several others over several months to know this issue is put to bed for good.

Final update until we can get some persistent rain. As it stopped raining in the night
Nothing in the van was wet this morning, there was damp on the lowest 100mm of bellows on the inside front only. I could feel it with my hand. As I’ve never had one before or camped I don’t know if this condensation or not. No pools drips or glistening of water.
Massive improvement over the original bellows which were dripping into pools of water within an hour of it raining.

In total it was raining for about 14 hours.
Time for home now.

I’m still not convinced but getting there
Until it rains again.

I’d say that’s pretty convincing! I wouldn’t expect every part of the bellows to be absolutely bone dry to the touch; in a tent you can expect dripping levels of condensation in the morning and most tents are better ventilated than the Cali is.

To put it another way; what is expected? For the roof to keep out the weather sufficiently that you can sleep and not have any issues with water inside. In your case and your test conditions it’s definitely passed that.

I will report back on my experiences when I’m away next weekend but this all is looking pretty hopeful :)

I really hope this is not the solution VW are using… Has the part number now changed? If not, what has I wonder.

IMG_5135.jpeg

I really hope this is not the solution VW are using… Has the part number now changed? If not, what has I wonder.

View attachment 116076
I was told that the part number for the latest has NR at the end. There’s a photo of the part number fitted to mine in one of my early posts. No idea how that compares to others.

V7LA 875 059 C8 NR

Back