Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

not yet, I asked Eurovans if I could collect mine tomorrow whilst I’m in Crawley and they said no as they can’t release it until it’s been fully tested in line with VW and their technical department. They’ve had it for 14 days now and fitted the new bellows on Thursday last week so it seems very strange to me.
That could be code for, we're waiting back on VW as it's still leaking, If it was hunky dory you think they'd tell you and say they're just waiting for final signoff. But hopefully I'm wrong and thinking the very worst of EV......

Still waiting on a date for the new new bellows installation. Fingers crossed it will get done before Christmas.

Do you still have your Cali or has it gone back now?
It's a long story. It went back an even longer time ago...

The cynic in me suggests that these latest replacements are being installed at a snails pace to ensure a very limited number of people across the dealer network have the opportunity to reject after a failed first fix.

And as such, any that have been replaced are being tested to extreme levels.

But two positive outcomes are out there!!! ☔☔

Last edited:
Well I hasten to add I’ve not tested mine personally yet, it’s just been dealer tested, but all indications are good so far.

For those of you that have had your bellows replaced with the very latest new-new-new bellows, is there any apparent difference in the fabric they are made from. I have been repeatedly asking the EO what changes VW have made to the new bellows to improve their performance. Finally, today, I had a response saying "I have been informed that they are a different fabric from the ones previously fitted which as you are aware failed". Interestingly, the response came from yet another new name at EO as "Shahid is currently out of the business". That's the 4th contact name I've had now. However frustrating bellowsgate is for us, it seems that for staff in EO, it carries the same hazard level as being a pro-democracy oligarch in Russia

For those of you that have had your bellows replaced with the very latest new-new-new bellows, is there any apparent difference in the fabric they are made from. I have been repeatedly asking the EO what changes VW have made to the new bellows to improve their performance. Finally, today, I had a response saying "I have been informed that they are a different fabric from the ones previously fitted which as you are aware failed". Interestingly, the response came from yet another new name at EO as "Shahid is currently out of the business". That's the 4th contact name I've had now. However frustrating bellowsgate is for us, it seems that for staff in EO, it carries the same hazard level as being a pro-democracy oligarch in Russia
It has been stated that the new new new bellows material doesn't get as dark when wet. That is either due to a copious amount of Fabsil or the fabric has been substituted. Obviously we hope VW have adopted the latter.

I got a call today also from a new VW EO Relationship manager. My fourth contact also.

Being "out of the business" isn't necessarily a hazard as Shahid has already been out and back and now out again.

It may be a management strategy in that the relationship managers are rotated to preserve their mental health and well-being...

It has been stated that the new new new bellows material doesn't get as dark when wet. That is either due to a copious amount of Fabsil or the fabric has been substituted. Obviously we hope VW have adopted the latter.
It may just be that the fabric no longer becomes saturated. The material has always been highly water repellent it just seems the water penetrates the seams which then results in saturation, capillary attraction between the 2 layers, a resultant change of colour and then the dreaded pools of water.

If they've figured out how to seal all the seams that could be a resilient solution.

I got a call today also from a new VW EO Relationship manager. My fourth contact also.

Being "out of the business" isn't necessarily a hazard as Shahid has already been out and back and now out again.

It may be a management strategy in that the relationship managers are rotated to preserve their mental health and well-being...
I was told Shahid was on holiday as I had someone else call me this week.

I had new RM at the EO yesterday too. Shahid was "out of the office this week" and my case notes were only updated to last Wednesday 2/11). Updated Adrian, my new RM (7/11). He asked me if I had actually rejected my Cali so I confirmed this. 6/11 - Cali delivered to dealer, V5C completed, Removed Tracker, Removed my cherished number plate, left keys with dealer and got on train home. Felt sick to my stomach. Refunded money arrived in my account 8/11 correct to the penny. End of headache, end of an era.

Last edited:
My replacement one layer bellows, after all night heavy rain and winds up to 70kph, completely dry, not a drop of water inside. Also bellows from inside were quite dry.
Dont know what to think.....and how to argue with the dealer :)

My replacement one layer bellows, after all night heavy rain and winds up to 70kph, completely dry, not a drop of water inside. Also bellows from inside were quite dry.
Dont know what to think.....and how to argue with the dealer :)
If they installed the old bellows, you are very lucky! Look after them and they will give you many years of dry camping :thumb

I had new RM at the EO yesterday too. Shahid was "out of the office this week" and my case notes were only updated to last Wednesday 2/11). Updated Adrian, my new RM (7/11). He asked me if I had actually rejected my Cali so I confirmed this. 6/11 - Cali delivered to dealer, V5C completed, Removed Tracker, Removed my cherished number plate, left keys with dealer and got on train home. Felt sick to my stomach. Refunded money arrived in my account 8/11 correct to the penny. End of headache, end of an era.
Sorry to read this Rik. What now?

Hi FB, I'm intrigued. Why are you angry?

Sorry to read this Rik. What now?
It wasn't an easy decision but the whole situation was really beginning to get to me. We had had six years of Cali life with 14 countries visited and got so used to our Cali doing what it was supposed to do, that to have this latest van leak like a sieve, and so badly, was too much. Maybe we had been spoilt but in the end after three bellows leaking and no fix in sight (I heard they are on iteration number 8 now!) we decide to cut and run. The future? Nothing will change much for us until the spring in 24 then who knows? We are both fit and well so I expect we shall still go travelling but do it in a little more comfort! You going to the Back of Beyond? If so see you there.

It wasn't an easy decision but the whole situation was really beginning to get to me. We had had six years of Cali life with 14 countries visited and got so used to our Cali doing what it was supposed to do, that to have this latest van leak like a sieve, and so badly, was too much. Maybe we had been spoilt but in the end after three bellows leaking and no fix in sight (I heard they are on iteration number 8 now!) we decide to cut and run. The future? Nothing will change much for us until the spring in 24 then who knows? We are both fit and well so I expect we shall still go travelling but do it in a little more comfort! You going to the Back of Beyond? If so see you there.
Understandable, been a frustrating experience since you collected the new Cali.
Glad you managed to reject the vehicle. Travelling in comfort sounds good.
Yes I’ll be at BOB, so look forward to catching up then.

Disgraceful all of it.
Ah, OK. Indeed. Agree.
We are formulating a plan (forced by VW in our eyes). All trips in Cali cancelled and being replaced with long distance travel/adventure while we are still fit and healthy starting with New Zealand/Australia next spring (UK spring). USA and the National Parks (in a motorhome?) will be next but not yet fixed.
I shall be keeping an eye on the ongoing unresolved (in my mind) bellows issue, say it quietly, just in case a Cali can be dialled into our future plans!

Ah, OK. Indeed. Agree.
We are formulating a plan (forced by VW in our eyes). All trips in Cali cancelled and being replaced with long distance travel/adventure while we are still fit and healthy starting with New Zealand/Australia next spring (UK spring). USA and the National Parks (in a motorhome?) will be next but not yet fixed.
I shall be keeping an eye on the ongoing unresolved (in my mind) bellows issue, say it quietly, just in case a Cali can be dialled into our future plans!
great plan. like the usa moho plan. would love to do that. i've been to australia,found it a bit boring,those ozzies can't drink., usa parks are amazing,been to yellowstone on the skidoo's. mind you the yanks can't drink either. ha
let's hope you can buy a cali again one day without the water features

I'm probably posting this a bit early as haven't had a chance to do the full hose test yet on my bellows. We rented a MY23 van in the summer which leaked badly, so I know what the leaky bellows are like - we just collected our new Cali recently and the bellows look different to me. I was sure the interior colour seemed different, but now that I've got used to it I'm not so sure - in different lights they can look cream or grey.
I've included a picture of the tag. I took it out for a 1 night try-out Saturday night and it did rain a fair bit Saturday night and Sunday morning and there were no leaks. However, I'm aware that this was probably just light continuous rain and no wind - I think the one we hired was probably ok too in that kind of rain.

The one thing that does definitely seem different to me is that it's much more of a pain trying to get the bellows to fit inside the hatch, it's really difficult to close the hatch the last few centimetres. I know the old bellows were awkward and it was always quite hard work, but these feel like they are made from thicker fabric. So fingers crossed they are different!

It would be interesting if anyone who has had replacement bellows thinks the same.

IMG_5884.JPG

I'm probably posting this a bit early as haven't had a chance to do the full hose test yet on my bellows. We rented a MY23 van in the summer which leaked badly, so I know what the leaky bellows are like - we just collected our new Cali recently and the bellows look different to me. I was sure the interior colour seemed different, but now that I've got used to it I'm not so sure - in different lights they can look cream or grey.
I've included a picture of the tag. I took it out for a 1 night try-out Saturday night and it did rain a fair bit Saturday night and Sunday morning and there were no leaks. However, I'm aware that this was probably just light continuous rain and no wind - I think the one we hired was probably ok too in that kind of rain.

The one thing that does definitely seem different to me is that it's much more of a pain trying to get the bellows to fit inside the hatch, it's really difficult to close the hatch the last few centimetres. I know the old bellows were awkward and it was always quite hard work, but these feel like they are made from thicker fabric. So fingers crossed they are different!

It would be interesting if anyone who has had replacement bellows thinks the same.

View attachment 116293
Yes, it’s harder to close the sliding door now with the replacement bellows. I’ve derailed it once already.

Back