Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

i'm about to go to my dealer in Brussels. I guess i'm going to get the same result. Jesus. Did they offer to do the wax treatment for you, or did they just say you should do it yourself? When you say you are stuck in protocol, what do you mean?
VW protocol: diagnosis and treatment. Over and over again. Their communications take weeks….
I would never go to d’ieteren Brussels again: been waiting 2 weeks just to order the wax…
Never thought service could be any worse
Van Hoe en Zonen in gent get it for you the next day.
I’ll let VW do the treatment.
Jeep you guys posted

VW protocol: diagnosis and treatment. Over and over again. Their communications take weeks….
I would never go to d’ieteren Brussels again: been waiting 2 weeks just to order the wax…
Never thought service could be any worse
Van Hoe en Zonen in gent get it for you the next day.
I’ll let VW do the treatment.
Jeep you guys posted
In case VW are dragging their feet and the 04S fails to impress at least in the EU (similar to the UK ombudsman) we have this option. Worth keeping in the back pocket.

Also had it confirmed today that the 04S bellows have had a foam seal added on the bottom of the window and an additional treatment during manufacturing...'the same cannot be said of 03S bellows'. Has anything been said about any differences between an 03S bellows from May and an 03S bellows from late September? Is there any difference at all?
I Had conversation with VW customer services last friday, they confirmed the above info and said all the stock of 03S had been removed and going forward only 04S would be supplied with the new seal and treatment at manufacture, and at that point only positive results.

Owners in Germany are still accepting 03S bellows. One collected today. What are they thinking? Must be gluttons for punishment.

Owners in Germany are still accepting 03S bellows. One collected today. What are they thinking? Must be gluttons for punishment.
If it’s the post I’ve seen on calibord I’m not sure that’s the replacement - that tag looks dirty and not new? Maybe that’s the old one?

If it’s the post I’ve seen on calibord I’m not sure that’s the replacement - that tag looks dirty and not new? Maybe that’s the old one?
I doubt that is the original bellows tag. Might have been removed and stomped on to get in that state.

Oh Dear, I pick mine up on Wed so I'll let you know which one it is, I've a nasty feeling it'll be 03S....

So here I go - apologies but am writing this whilst still in a rage having collected my van this evening from Marshalls in Reading. Will try and keep it brief……
  • Last week emailed Marshalls to confirm they had the part for my bellows replacement due today, and that they must be the 04S version
  • Drop van in this morning - copy of my email shown as printed out and on the job sheet, and confirmed verbally that the technician had said they are the 04S version
  • Get a phone call advising van ready to collect at 5pm, so off i trot in a happy mood to collect it, thankful that it’s turned around same day
  • Am told they haven’t tested it and don’t put the roof up for at least 24 hours so that the silicone can set
  • Get home, open the hatch and down drops the label - to my horror saying 03S with a date of 20/09/23
  • Have fired off an email to dealer and EO - admittedly in a rage - an unnecessary 50+ miles in absolutely filthy weather, out of my way, despite what I thought was preparing the ground for these being 04S and nothing but 04S - and under the full oversight of Adrian at the Executive Office.
How to deflate one’s bubble with the fact that the problem was about to be fixed and Marshalls up to this point had been so good too. i have to sleep on it, but right now i am up for rejection - and that what my email to EO this evening says unless they get 04S on it within a week.

So here I go - apologies but am writing this whilst still in a rage having collected my van this evening from Marshalls in Reading. Will try and keep it brief……
  • Last week emailed Marshalls to confirm they had the part for my bellows replacement due today, and that they must be the 04S version
  • Drop van in this morning - copy of my email shown as printed out and on the job sheet, and confirmed verbally that the technician had said they are the 04S version
  • Get a phone call advising van ready to collect at 5pm, so off i trot in a happy mood to collect it, thankful that it’s turned around same day
  • Am told they haven’t tested it and don’t put the roof up for at least 24 hours so that the silicone can set
  • Get home, open the hatch and down drops the label - to my horror saying 03S with a date of 20/09/23
  • Have fired off an email to dealer and EO - admittedly in a rage - an unnecessary 50+ miles in absolutely filthy weather, out of my way, despite what I thought was preparing the ground for these being 04S and nothing but 04S - and under the full oversight of Adrian at the Executive Office.
How to deflate one’s bubble with the fact that the problem was about to be fixed and Marshalls up to this point had been so good too. i have to sleep on it, but right now i am up for rejection - and that what my email to EO this evening says unless they get 04S on it within a week.
A very bad day for sure, no wonder you feel angry.

Beyond frustrating. But take a deep breath, sleep on it and then get the bellows exposed to a heavy downpour. They will need proof the installed fabric fails and leaks.

Tough call, but I would consider rejecting the vehicle after all the steps you took to insist on an 04S version of the bellows.

At the very least it might focus some attention on fixing the problem.

A difficult call though without knowing the deal you got on your Cali, if you plan to use the van over the winter and if you could get a similar deal on a new factory order.

We ordered our 204 Ocean 4Motion a couple of weeks ago and I am just hoping the bellow problem will be sorted on new builds.

It must be so annoying and disappointing given the cost of the van.

After a shocking experience with a £50k Jeep Wrangler a few years ago, involving multiple wasted journeys to two different incompetent dealerships, three trips on a recovery truck and complete apathy from Jeep UK, I am hoping my VW ownership will be better. But I am starting to have second thoughts :(

Did you purchase it from Marshalls?

Unbelievable and so frustrating. The technician should clearly have informed you of the 03S bellows. Any of us getting replacement bellows would be wise on insisting viewing the tag prior to installation. Shame it has to be this way.

The other aspect I still don’t clearly understand is if the 04S are a new design (supposedly the foam insert and waterproof coating) to correct a deficiency with the 03S, then what is the purpose of dealers going through the rigmarole of testing faulty 03S in the rain, taking serval weeks to do so?

Did you purchase it from Marshalls?
No, I purchased from VW Liverpool. Marshalls are just near to where I sometimes work, and all the dialogue leading up to this has been so encouraging so expectations were high, especially having requested, and then been told they are the 04S version. So much the 03S version no longer being sent out by VWUK.
Liverpool showed no interest in sorting the problem and in fact their initial written reply was a classic saying they are only supposed to be showerproof !

No, I purchased from VW Liverpool. Marshalls are just near to where I sometimes work, and all the dialogue leading up to this has been so encouraging so expectations were high, especially having requested, and then been told they are the 04S version. So much the 03S version no longer being sent out by VWUK.
Liverpool showed no interest in sorting the problem and in fact their initial written reply was a classic saying they are only supposed to be showerproof !

Definition of showers
"A shower is a mode of precipitation characterized by an abrupt start and end and by rapid variations in intensity. Often strong and short-lived"

Mine started leaking in less than 5 mins. That is not showerproof.

Although it sounds like he was booked in months ago and parts may have been ordered then? Either way it’s old stock.
Even so, if VW released a new gen 04S in the interim, you do yourself a favour by insisting the 03S is exchanged for the new version. He will have to return in any case for a replacement of the replacement bellows.

Same as I got ! Who was dealing with you in Liverpool?
I rejected mine right away after getting the reply “we didn’t tell you they where waterproof”

I rejected mine right away after getting the reply “we didn’t tell you they where waterproof”
Did they tell you they weren't waterproof though? The fcking old ones are

Did they tell you they weren't waterproof though? The fcking old ones are
No, of course not . Not before I spent 70k.
The salesguy mentioned it via email when I was in Switzerland and I emailed a complaint.
His reply via email was that….
Which I found very helpful being in black and white

Oscar, the sales guy, was the one with the comment about “showerproof only” eventually gave up with them once the EO took it on - strung along for 5 months finally looks like they may have a fix with 04S but VW haven’t even got the confidence to announce it to us nor express an option on whether it is actually the fix we hope it is !

The world's gone mad, those excuses by the dealer are beyond insulting what other ones do they use?

We never said these new brakes should be used to slow you down......
The bulbs we've changed in the headlights were never to be relied upon to illuminate the road......

Aren't you all concerned they've just sprayed some fking fabsil on them? How will you all know? You will know a year later that how.

Back