Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Just one quick question if you can forgive me going off thread for a second, I was surprised to be given the EHU cable with a continental 2 pin plug at the other end, the chap that did the handover said it's useless. Is this normal, as after a very quick search of this forum I can't find anything about this?

On a separate note, I'll post a picture of the bellows label tomorrow, my Cali was confirmed build w/c 6/11/23

Just one quick question if you can forgive me going off thread for a second, I was surprised to be given the EHU cable with a continental 2 pin plug at the other end, the chap that did the handover said it's useless. Is this normal, as after a very quick search of this forum I can't find anything about this?

On a separate note, I'll post a picture of the bellows label tomorrow, my Cali was confirmed build w/c 6/11/23
Yes that’s normal. You can get a UK plug one for about a fiver.

I collected today but it's taken me 4 hours to get home, I can report that my new Cali has the 04S label hanging from the bellows which I glimpsed during the handover. As it's dark when I got it back I've not had chance to update you further. I was planning on leaving the bellows open as soon as I got home but as it's currently minus 2 I thought that might do more than harm than good if it freezes inside?

I will of course update you when I've rain tested them......
Brilliant.

Must be like winning the lottery!!!

Brilliant.

Must be like winning the lottery!!!
Yes I was adamant I was gonna get the previous versions so a nice bonus! If the VW factory is now using the latest bellows, it beggars belief that some dealers are still installing the previous leaky ones... That said there's been limited testing of the latest version so I'll be putting it through it's paces, to confirm how watertight mine are.

I'll hopefully post some photos in due course too

That cable is useless if you never travel to Europe.

I assume useless generally unless you live in Europe as on campsites you’re going to be connecting up using EHU cable connections not a “wall socket” plug?

Back to “them bellows” the further good news is if all new Calis are coming with 04S and they’re “the fix” then the (potential maximum) backlog of changes needed to existing vehicles will be capped from here - better dealer and parts accessibility.

I assume useless generally unless you live in Europe as on campsites you’re going to be connecting up using EHU cable connections not a “wall socket” plug?

Back to “them bellows” the further good news is if all new Calis are coming with 04S and they’re “the fix” then the (potential maximum) backlog of changes needed to existing vehicles will be capped from here - better dealer and parts accessibility.
Let’s hope 04S actually fixes the problem….! I have everything crossed.

Many of the small sites in Europe still use such a connection. You would be surprised . They don't ALL follow the regulations as closely as we do in the UK.
I've used it in Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Norway and Sweden.

Many of the small sites in Europe still use such a connection. You would be surprised . They don't ALL follow the regulations as closely as we do in the UK.
That's handy to know as we're planning to go around Europe next year - not that we generally need EHU unless we're staying put for more than a few days, but I wouldn't have even thought about taking that adaptor.

That was my experience too. Especially one the ACSI sites.

Two pin is what i had in my 2023 new Ocean - good to hear you have the new design bellows :)

Sooo,… anyone own a 03S labelled bellows on a 2023 Calu that is waterproof and showing no signs of this leak issue?

Sooo,… anyone own a 03S labelled bellows on a 2023 Calu that is waterproof and showing no signs of this leak issue?
None that I know of and those that say its holding good (like me initially) just haven't subjected it the the right 'shower'. The pattern of leaks can also be variable.

If you are not intending going to Europe, just cut the plug off & stick a UK 3 pin plug on it so you can plug in at home.

I have a Cali Ocean, delivered 29 Sep 23. I presume it has a 03S bellows.

I have tested it three times in rain:
  • 2 hours in light drizzle 0.2mm precipitation rate. Wind 9 mph ENE.
  • 1.75 hours in heavier rain 0.9mm precipitation rate. Wind 11 mph SSW
  • 3.25 hours in similar rain 0.9mm precipitation rate. Wind 9 mph SSW
In all three cases, the Cali was facing N, so generally not directly into the rain. I always check wind and rain forecast before siting the Cali to keep the rear into any wind as much as possible.

No ingress of rain front, sides or back, no wetting of canvas.

I have a Cali Ocean, delivered 29 Sep 23. I presume it has a 03S bellows.

I have tested it three times in rain:
  • 2 hours in light drizzle 0.2mm precipitation rate. Wind 9 mph ENE.
  • 1.75 hours in heavier rain 0.9mm precipitation rate. Wind 11 mph SSW
  • 3.25 hours in similar rain 0.9mm precipitation rate. Wind 9 mph SSW
In all three cases, the Cali was facing N, so generally not directly into the rain. I always check wind and rain forecast before siting the Cali to keep the rear into any wind as much as possible.

No ingress of rain front, sides or back, no wetting of canvas.
Thats very light and probably insufficient rain to initiate the capillary action which causes the water to breach the seams. Get it under some steady saturating rain fall.

There is another somewhere in this thread with a very late gen 03S which seemed to be ok too (dated October 23). I found that Some of the time the normal 03S seems to perform but some of the time isn’t good enough

I had a voicemail from my dealer today saying that VW have sent a bulletin to dealers notifying them that there will be a redesigned bellows released in January - no further details available at the moment... And another voicemail from EO later today confirming that the 04S bellows were introduced on 9/11/23, but no confirmation whether any of the late 03S bellows were made to the 04S spec, and no mention of the bulletin. EO calling me back tomorrow, hopefully left hand and right hand will have been introduced to each other by then. It must be almost as much fun working for VW as it is being one of their customers.
Update to this following a further call with EO. Seems (seams?!) there is just one redesigned bellows, introduced on 9/11/23, likely with the 04S reference on the QC tag, although EO said the date was the clearest indicator that the bellows incorporated the redesign.

Update to this following a further call with EO. Seems (seams?!) there is just one redesigned bellows, introduced on 9/11/23, likely with the 04S reference on the QC tag, although EO said the date was the clearest indicator that the bellows incorporated the redesign.
My roof is down at the moment .. where will i find the date please?

If anybody gets 04S dated 9/11/23 or after can you post pics please

I have 04S dated 23/10 and they don’t seem too different if at all.

VW EO and Adrian stated the new ones have foam between the fabric at the bottom of the windows and are treated during the manufacturing process.

I have a 2023 03S labelled roof and it leaks.
Same here. I put it up in the rain within a week of getting it and it didn't leak so I initially and rather naively as it turns out thought I had "one of the ones that doesn't leak" the ones that VW would have us believe actually exist. However the first time I slept "upstairs" and we had persistent rain throughout the night it leaked like a sieve and I have the videos taken at 3am to prove it.☹️

I also received a voicemail from EO this morning with this same information so hopefully an end is is sight (that's assuming the > 9/11/23 ones don't leak)

Same here. I put it up in the rain within a week of getting it and it didn't leak so I initially and rather naively as it turns out thought I had "one of the ones that doesn't leak" the ones that VW would have us believe actually exist. However the first time I slept "upstairs" and we had persistent rain throughout the night it leaked like a sieve and I have the videos taken at 3am to prove it.☹️
03S = leak
04S = hopefully not

Back