Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Watched a California Chris video on YT re the DSG gearbox & general Q&A at the end. Someone has asked about the 6.1 bellows & Chris confirms they are ‘waterproof’ & discusses them in that context. Obviously not the new 23 bellows, but interesting to note, particularly if Liverpool VWC are saying something different

Watched a California Chris video on YT re the DSG gearbox & general Q&A at the end. Someone has asked about the 6.1 bellows & Chris confirms they are ‘waterproof’ & discusses them in that context. Obviously not the new 23 bellows, but interesting to note, particularly if Liverpool VWC are saying something different
What was the date on the video? I may try and find it. I’ve seen him a few times at vw Liverpool. Would be Good to ask him in person.

Does the colour of the bellows affect leakage ?

Does the colour of the bellows affect leakage ?
I think I understand what you’re asking. Mine are blue and both originals and replacements leaked. Don’t know if anyone with red bellows. Obviously the grey are most common I with loads of leakage reports.

Similar for me, I was so annoyed by some of the dealer responses I’ve read that I emailed Carsten Intra and Karsten Franz about it directly yesterday and got an email response from the VW Brand Liaison Manager at the Exec Office this morning. Here’s the funny thing, I haven’t even tested my bellows in the rain yet - I already know they will leak so I feel like all I’ll achieve is inflicting potential water damage to my £70k van - instead my ask is for VW to acknowledge the weight of evidence suggests there’s an issue with the current gen bellows and provide assurance that they will investigate and work on a fix.

If anyone wants to send me a short case study of their findings/experience with any pics etc then I’ll be happy to collate them and send them on. The more the better and can be as simple as:

Bellows tag number:
Cali Model:
Conditions the poptop leaked in:
Where it leaked from and any pictures:
Are you still planning to collate findings from members on here? If not I will contact one or both of the Karstens at the exec office. Where can I find the complaints procedure?

All confirmed by the head of business - Liverpool.
My rejected vehicle will be returned tomorrow and refund made .
Thank goodness this headache is over.

All confirmed by the head of business - Liverpool.
My rejected vehicle will be returned tomorrow and refund made .
Thank goodness this headache is over.
You are probably doing other MY2023 owners a favour, as if vans start to be returned VW are surely going to quickly find a solution: even if it is reverting to the previous bellows (which are fine for me) and offer exchanges to all affected.

You are probably doing other MY2023 owners a favour, as if vans start to be returned VW are surely going to quickly find a solution: even if it is reverting to the previous bellows (which are fine for me) and offer exchanges to all affected.
Hopefully others can do the same … rather than sit on a Vehicle that’s faulty.

I strongly suspect the bellows of practically all MY2023's leak, even those where the owners say they don't. They just haven't tried them in heavy enough rain.

I had the roof up in the rain for an hour or so (at home) and then attacked it with a hose, it started leaking but not too badly. So I thought, maybe I could live with that. After all, you don't fire a hose at your bellows when camping, do you?

So, at present I'm camping in France where a serious downpour in the Ardeche caused the bellows to leak in multiple places and ten times worse than the hose test. After about an hour of very heavy rain I had leaks along the horizontal stitch line at the front under the window (as happened under the hose test) plus this time leaks down the curved zip at the front, plus water coming down both stiffening battens on one side. I spent a hour with a sponge mopping up until the rain abated.

I've camped for 10 years in my 2013 5.1 Cali and experienced similar or worse conditions on many occasions and the roof never leaked a drop!

Testing the bellows with a hose is all very well but real-world conditions are the only ones that matter.

I strongly suspect the bellows of practically all MY2023's leak, even those where the owners say they don't. They just haven't tried them in heavy enough rain.

I had the roof up in the rain for an hour or so (at home) and then attacked it with a hose, it started leaking but not too badly. So I thought, maybe I could live with that. After all, you don't fire a hose at your bellows when camping, do you?

So, at present I'm camping in France where a serious downpour in the Ardeche caused the bellows to leak in multiple places and ten times worse than the hose test. After about an hour of very heavy rain I had leaks along the horizontal stitch line at the front under the window (as happened under the hose test) plus this time leaks down the curved zip at the front, plus water coming down both stiffening battens on one side. I spent a hour with a sponge mopping up until the rain abated.

I've camped for 10 years in my 2013 5.1 Cali and experienced similar or worse conditions on many occasions and the roof never leaked a drop!

Testing the bellows with a hose is all very well but real-world conditions are the only ones that matter.
That is absolutely terrible! I’m so sorry to hear this.

I have had my bellows replaced (see other threat which was closed). Been in heavy rain and so far so good. No leaking at all.
Strange isn’t it, some others have had them replaced within the last few weeks and they leak.
I really believe it all depends on the direction of the rain.
Mine didn’t leak at the weekend, but the rain was coming from the rear.
Defeats the point though, we shouldn’t be worrying about rain, in a 70k vehicle

Hot off the German Forum who have had an equally diabolical experience with the new bellows. VW Headquarters have told German dealers not to make anymore exchanges until a solution is found. If this is true then VW Commercial are taking ownership and getting to grips with a proper fix..... YMMV

I have had my bellows replaced (see other threat which was closed). Been in heavy rain and so far so good. No leaking at all.
Hmmmm, that's the "C" bellows. Yes? How many hours had the rain been falling?
Encouraging!

I am of the opinion there is a fundamental issue with the design/manufacture. Variances in quality control and user scenarios possibly mean some appear worse than others, but I think the MY23 bellows are flawed and I don’t think any variant are acceptable. This aligns with the remark above about vans being held up in build; if the latest bellows was fine, it’s likely they’d still be churning the vans out. I don’t think it is.

FWIW the Comfortz wrap I’m using as a stop gap is 100% effective at keeping the rain out so I’ll carry on with that until VW find a proper solution.

Hot off the German Forum who have had an equally diabolical experience with the new bellows. VW Headquarters have told German dealers not to make anymore exchanges until a solution is found. If this is true then VW Commercial are taking ownership and getting to grips with a proper fix..... YMMV
Do you have a link to this ?

Do you have a link to this ?
Nothing official. Just word of mouth from the installer of the 2nd set of leaking bellows. Exact quotes:

"Statement from VWN just now, VW factory has instructed the branch not to do any more work on the folding bag until a solution is found."

"Today 2nd exchange of bellows. Leaking when tested. Master has received instructions, no more exchange! Until solution found. Statement VWN from 2 hours ago."

As I already suggested, now the Holidays are almost over, a remedy should be forthcoming quite soon. VWC will not want this headache for the next 12+ months.

Hmmmm, that's the "C" bellows. Yes? How many hours had the rain been falling?
Encouraging!
It’s fallen in blocks of about an hour ranging from drizzle to downpour. I’m still keeping an eye on it and the direction of the rain. I would like a good soaking on the front.

Yes. C bellows.

This is total mess.
What is best to do if you have planned change to type C bellows?

This is total mess.
What is best to do if you have planned change to type C bellows?
Possibly VWUK get the same advice and you'll get a call postponing the swap.

Back