Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Here’s the latest VW Commercial Instagram post if anyone fancies dropping a comment:
I have posted the following on their FB page.
"Will the new California have the non optional environmental (Rain and Wind) feature seen on the current Ocean canvas pop-top. (It leaks when it rains!!). I would like to post a copy of VWCV plan to resolve this issue in this post but sadly I can't find one. @volkswagen_cv . Can you help me? "

My idea exactly. If I order one in early Sep, I’ll ask for a contribution to a pop-top cover and then wait for a warranty replacement with a rainproof bellows. I’ve priced in a 5 year warranty so it should resolve itself
Good luck getting warranty replacement bellows. They’ll just create new ones for the newly designed Vehicles. Lees money to pay out and no need to admit fault

Could I ask if anyone with a 2023 Ocean that does not leak could post, please.

Got mine in. But sure it will be deleted.
My post is still there this morning. Cant find yours.....pls post a link so I can like it and reply. thx

Now that we’re on our second set of leaking bellows I’ve contacted the VWCV executive office and have a case open and a customer relations point of contact allocated. Let’s see how this goes…. Breeze have again been great in supporting us with this, but I feel that there’s little more they can offer now for a long term fix as they don’t really have any options left without some acknowledgement and rectification from VWCV.

Now that we’re on our second set of leaking bellows I’ve contacted the VWCV executive office and have a case open and a customer relations point of contact allocated. Let’s see how this goes…. Breeze have again been great in supporting us with this, but I feel that there’s little more they can offer now for a long term fix as they don’t really have any options left without some acknowledgement and rectification from VWCV.

Similar for me, I was so annoyed by some of the dealer responses I’ve read that I emailed Carsten Intra and Karsten Franz about it directly yesterday and got an email response from the VW Brand Liaison Manager at the Exec Office this morning. Here’s the funny thing, I haven’t even tested my bellows in the rain yet - I already know they will leak so I feel like all I’ll achieve is inflicting potential water damage to my £70k van - instead my ask is for VW to acknowledge the weight of evidence suggests there’s an issue with the current gen bellows and provide assurance that they will investigate and work on a fix.

If anyone wants to send me a short case study of their findings/experience with any pics etc then I’ll be happy to collate them and send them on. The more the better and can be as simple as:

Bellows tag number:
Cali Model:
Conditions the poptop leaked in:
Where it leaked from and any pictures:

Last edited:
Similar for me, I was so annoyed by some of the dealer responses I’ve read that I emailed Carsten Intra and Karsten Franz about it directly yesterday and got an email response from the VW Brand Liaison Manager at the Exec Office this morning. Here’s the funny thing, I haven’t even tested my bellows in the rain yet - I already know they will leak so I feel like all I’ll achieve is inflicting potential water damage to my £70k van - instead my ask is for VW to acknowledge the weight of evidence suggests there’s an issue with the current gen bellows and provide assurance that they will investigate and work on a fix.

If anyone wants to send me a short case study of their findings/experience with any pics etc then I’ll be happy to collate them and send them on. The more the better and can be as simple as:

Bellows tag number:
Cali Model:
Conditions the poptop leaked in:
Where it leaked from and any pictures:

How do you know yours will leak? according to the poll 1/3 of vans with the new design of bellows don't leak.

For the sake of a half an hour with a hose you could at least make the effort & replicate the test that VW will probably do. You would be playing right into VWs hands if they do test & yours doesn't leak.

If it doesn't leak with a hose then you will need to leave the roof up in the rain for a bit & see what happens, if it leaks then, at least you could say with certainty that yours leaks even if the VW hose test doesn't show it.

How do you know yours will leak? according to the poll 1/3 of vans with the new design of bellows don't leak.

For the sake of a half an hour with a hose you could at least make the effort & replicate the test that VW will probably do. You would be playing right into VWs hands if they do test & yours doesn't leak.

If it doesn't leak with a hose then you will need to leave the roof up in the rain for a bit & see what happens, if it leaks then, at least you could say with certainty that yours leaks even if the VW hose test doesn't show it.
It's not about making an effort, I haven't told them that mine leak or asked for them to do any diagnostic tests on my van, my point to them is that this an issue which is going to badly affect their brand as numerous owners are affected and they seem open to hearing more about some case studies. Even if a third don't leak 66% is still a pretty high failure rate.

Whether people do or don't provide info is totally up to them.

Last edited:
So I have had a response from VW Customer Relations (in the UK) today advising that they have spoken to my supplying dealer in Liverpool and they have said to VWCR that :-
1) leaking bellows is a “common occurrence on all California models lately with no current fix”
2) that they suggest a topper and do I want Liverpool to send one out (no suggestion if that’s complimentary in their email)

So I have asked in reply :-
- send me a topper (free)
- is there a fix being worked on
- are they building a database of owners to contact when a fix is produced

One step forward, one back. A free topper kicks the can down the road a bit. But like all of us I really really want to hear from VW that they are working on finding a solution. At least they have now gone in to print admitting it’s a common occurrence on all models

Will update with the next instalment

So I have had a response from VW Customer Relations (in the UK) today advising that they have spoken to my supplying dealer in Liverpool and they have said to VWCR that :-
1) leaking bellows is a “common occurrence on all California models lately with no current fix”
2) that they suggest a topper and do I want Liverpool to send one out (no suggestion if that’s complimentary in their email)

One step forward, one back. A free topper kicks the can down the road a bit. But like all of us I really really want to hear from VW that they are working on finding a solution. At least they have now gone in to print admitting it’s a common occurrence on all models

Liverpool told me to buy my own topper and they would refund the money, which wouldn’t be an issue.
But vws recent Response of: “the bellows will let water ingress” and “we didn’t say it was waterproof” has annoyed me Greatly.
My vehicle goes back on Monday and I’ll receive a full refund.
A nice trip to the motorhome show in October will do nicely , to look at other options .

Thanks for sharing. I expect I’ll get a similar response next week and will be asking exactly the same questions in return if it’s not forthcoming.

Last edited:
Liverpool told me to buy my own topper and they would refund the money, which wouldn’t be an issue.
But vws recent Response of: “the bellows will let water ingress” and “we didn’t say it was waterproof” has annoyed me Greatly.
My vehicle goes back on Monday and I’ll receive a full refund.
A nice trip to the motorhome show in October will do nicely , to look at other options .
When did they say this to you about water ingress being normal?

@Jeaniethecali. I was wondering if you have any updates since sending EuroVans your letter of rejection? Or any update from Manchester Van Centre after they tested one of their MY23 vans?

Cheers.

When did they say this to you about water ingress being normal?
Vwcs pulled up the conversation between vw Germany and Liverpool.
It said water ingress is to be expected . The vw dealership in Liverpool said - they didn’t tell me it was fully waterproof. We don’t. Tell anyone it’s fully waterproof they said haha.
It’s all a joke. Hence why I’m wasting no more time on them.

Vwcs pulled up the conversation between vw Germany and Liverpool.
It said water ingress is to be expected . The vw dealership in Liverpool said - they didn’t tell me it was fully waterproof. We don’t. Tell anyone it’s fully waterproof they said haha.
It’s all a joke. Hence why I’m wasting no more time on them.
Just for the record. I have had a California Surf on order since April. The delivery has been delayed, despite the vehicle being built. Apparently, VW were awaiting a part. The part causing the delay (according to the dealer) was the bellows. Having read all of the posts on the subject of 'bellows), I now know why. Thankyou everyone for being so informative on the subject.
Jon's T6.1 VAN

Let us know what you get to replace the Ocean. The new Transit Custom looks like a worthy contender. I wonder what the lead times will be on those. Calicamperfamily had to wait over 2 years for their high top Ford. Good luck.

Just for the record. I have had a California Surf on order since April. The delivery has been delayed, despite the vehicle being built. Apparently, VW were awaiting a part. The part causing the delay (according to the dealer) was the bellows. Having read all of the posts on the subject of 'bellows), I now know why. Thankyou everyone for being so informative on the subject.
Jon's T6.1 VAN
That could be an encouraging sign that they are awaiting a newer variant...

I will post my experience here on Monday.

Let us know what you get to replace the Ocean. The new Transit Custom looks like a worthy contender. I wonder what the lead times will be on those. Calicamperfamily had to wait over 2 years for their high top Ford. Good luck.
Tbh I don’t know what to get…. I’ve always wanted a California , and all these issues have out a massive Spanner in the works.

Back