Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Thanks for the photos and replies. I thought that’s where it was.

Our van is currently on a ship to the uk so won’t be long till we find out the card we’ve been dealt.

Picking mine up soon it’s at the van centre surely not the old bellows!!

Picking mine up soon it’s at the van centre surely not the old bellows!!
I’m in the same position, I’m picking my California up on 1st March and have asked to be told the date on the bellows before I collect.

Supposedly an instruction went round to dealers from VWCV not to install any more 03S but to wait until the January update which will be 04S (or maybe 05S).

Who knows.

Certainly not your dealer!!!!! A question to ask Adrian when you get a hold of him.
Just got mine back on Feb 14 post new bellows, they fitted a 3S dated September!

I’m in the same position, I’m picking my California up on 1st March and have asked to be told the date on the bellows before I collect.
And what will you do if it’s a pre fix one, given you have a 3 year warranty and can get it fixed for free almost immediately?

And what will you do if it’s a pre fix one, given you have a 3 year warranty and can get it fixed for free almost immediately?
In my experience you will be required to prove it leaks before they change it.
I would state that you've ill reject on fitness for purpose if it has the old bellows and it is not quickly rectified.

Hope all is good. When the dealer has told you the date/code on your bellows, can you update us all here please? And anyone else that has van arriving soon? Be good to know what the factory are fitting?

I will reject the vehicle.
To be honest if VW haven’t sorted this issue out for California’s coming off the production line in 2024 I will be shocked however from what I’ve read to date not surprised.
l love the California and did start with a 2013 SE which was fantastic and gave me no problems, the only reason I decided to go for a new T6.1 was because of the clean air zones which we live between (Bristol/Bath).
We only had our new California just over a month when we experienced the leaking bellows! Breeze (Poole) were great and took our vehicle back without question, we then ordered another vehicle on the understanding that the bellow’s issue was solved.
As stated previously we are now waiting for confirmation of the date of the bellow’s fitted to our California which I am expecting when the vehicle is with the dealership. I will let you know as soon as I hear from them.

To be honest if VW haven’t sorted this issue out for California’s coming off the production line in 2024 I will be shocked however from what I’ve read to date not surprised.
l love the California and did start with a 2013 SE which was fantastic and gave me no problems, the only reason I decided to go for a new T6.1 was because of the clean air zones which we live between (Bristol/Bath).
We only had our new California just over a month when we experienced the leaking bellows! Breeze (Poole) were great and took our vehicle back without question, we then ordered another vehicle on the understanding that the bellow’s issue was solved.
As stated previously we are now waiting for confirmation of the date of the bellow’s fitted to our California which I am expecting when the vehicle is with the dealership. I will let you know as soon as I hear from them.
I’ll be getting a photo of the tag before I send over my final deposit.

...and keep the dealer on your side. It is an issue for the manufacture to get sorted, the dealer is well placed to help you.
The problem is that sales will pass you to service to deal with any issues, that's a whole new rabbit hole of experience.

I too would be surprised if these newer vans have not been fitted at factory with fully updated/working bellows. If not, I agree with you. Hold VW to account and politely bit firmly reject the vehicle. Others may approach the issue differently, but I'm with you on this one for sure. I would add the dealership is not at fault here. It is VW.

I have monitored this thread since late Aug 23. I collected my new Ocean 29 Sep 23, so it must have a 03S bellows although there was not tag on the fly screen zip on delivery.

I have used the van several times overnight in dry conditions, but tested it in rainy conditions on the drive, in ever increasing duration and rain type. The latest test in mid-Jan was 6 hours in umbrella-grade rain with light to medium winds. No leaks or drips in any of my tests. (Cue "you are burying your head in the sand").

I watch the experiences here. 04S bellows promised but 03S fitted, even now in Feb 24; rumours of an 05S bellows; people having multiple bellows fitted, one after the other; dealers not believing owners, despite video evidence; Californias in the dealer for days at a time awaiting their test; and sadly, some reporting scratches and damage on return of the vehicle.

I really do wonder if I want to go through the hassle of the warranty route if my bellows does actually leak. Instead, I'm on the cusp of applying Fabsil and seam sealer to do what I can to make my bellows fully leak proof - £36 and 4-5 hours application and drying time, all under MY quality control. Yes, it will almost certainly negate the warranty. But if it does leak after treatment, it looks to be about £1500 to fit a new, updated 04S / 05S bellows. But because I would be paying, I can absolutely make sure it's the latest bellows.

Decision soon.

I have monitored this thread since late Aug 23. I collected my new Ocean 29 Sep 23, so it must have a 03S bellows although there was not tag on the fly screen zip on delivery.

I have used the van several times overnight in dry conditions, but tested it in rainy conditions on the drive, in ever increasing duration and rain type. The latest test in mid-Jan was 6 hours in umbrella-grade rain with light to medium winds. No leaks or drips in any of my tests. (Cue "you are burying your head in the sand").

I watch the experiences here. 04S bellows promised but 03S fitted, even now in Feb 24; rumours of an 05S bellows; people having multiple bellows fitted, one after the other; dealers not believing owners, despite video evidence; Californias in the dealer for days at a time awaiting their test; and sadly, some reporting scratches and damage on return of the vehicle.

I really do wonder if I want to go through the hassle of the warranty route if my bellows does actually leak. Instead, I'm on the cusp of applying Fabsil and seam sealer to do what I can to make my bellows fully leak proof - £36 and 4-5 hours application and drying time, all under MY quality control. Yes, it will almost certainly negate the warranty. But if it does leak after treatment, it looks to be about £1500 to fit a new, updated 04S / 05S bellows. But because I would be paying, I can absolutely make sure it's the latest bellows.

Decision soon.
Where did you take delivery from?

Decision soon.
Don't think you are burying your head, keep an open mind and keep testing when you use it to make sure while in warranty that it's all good. Internet forums can be very deceptive. Something can seem like a very wide spread problem because all the people who have had that problem come looking for it and then share their own experience maybe 10 or 20 generating hundred of post in total, but you have to remember there will also be hundreds or probably thousands of people who are happy and have not even thought to look up about it on a forum. It might not mean every single one is faulty, maybe it was a select few. If you research any car before buying you will find a forum with a list of terrible problems about why not too buy that model but in general it's a small sample and there are obviously many people happy with those models. Just keep a good watch on it and see what happens.

Don't think you are burying your head, keep an open mind and keep testing when you use it to make sure while in warranty that it's all good. Internet forums can be very deceptive. Something can seem like a very wide spread problem because all the people who have had that problem come looking for it and then share their own experience maybe 10 or 20 generating hundred of post in total, but you have to remember there will also be hundreds or probably thousands of people who are happy and have not even thought to look up about it on a forum. It might not mean every single one is faulty, maybe it was a select few. If you research any car before buying you will find a forum with a list of terrible problems about why not too buy that model but in general it's a small sample and there are obviously many people happy with those models. Just keep a good watch on it and see what happens.
Thanks for some v sensible advice.

Manchester - and their pre-sales advice and delivery process was first class. They are aware of the leaky bellows issue and would help if it happened. So they may be my deciding factor
Yep. Bought from same dealer. I was told they weren’t aware of it and just told me what the vw official statement on it was - the bellows aren’t meant to be waterproof. But they'd help us with any issues that arise. It's out of their hands though and I feel sorry for the dealerships as it's VW that's letting them / us down.

Last edited:

Decision soon.
From what i can judge a significant percentage of Californias with the multi layer bellows have leaks. VW would not be updating the design if it was a small percentage.

Depending upon your use case, leaking bellows may not be a big problem. You may use it for picnics in sunny weather and not sleep in it. Or you may be lucky with the weather/live in an area with little rainfall.

If you use your van to sleep in for extended periods, and you have a fair but of rain, it may well be a big problem. In this case you may wish to reject the van as you cannot be doing with the hassle of a warranty claim and numerous workshop visits. Or you may go down the self help route, which i can see has many advantages over the multiple workshop visits.

We are all different and will approach the matter in different ways. No right answer.

Decision soon.
I also have the 03S bellows and have tested in the rain on 4 overnight stops. I picked mine up the same week as you. No leaks or drips so far. One night was storm conditions with heavy rain for about 3 hours. If they leak at a later point then I’ll follow the warranty route like everyone else but for now I’m really enjoying the van and try not to think about it. Oh and I’ve had ‘..your burying your head in the sand’ comments and ‘you’ve not had the right type of rain’. I also bought a bellows wrap and will be using this for the most of my longer trips away. Don’t really want to spend my time worrying about something that might never happen. I really feel for those people having problems though and just hope VW get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Back