Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Unless said dealer is in Edinburgh, in which case they will say its not waterproof and to go away.
Then you go to another dealer. One that’s familiar with the issue. Easier said than done but probably the only way to resolve the issue.

Then you go to another dealer. One that’s familiar with the issue. Easier said than done but probably the only way to resolve the issue.
Requires a little homework to figure out which dealers are actually customer centric and sympathetic to the situation. Breeze in Pool would be my first stop but thats a little inconvenient. Maybe Liverpool.

Requires a little homework to figure out which dealers are actually customer centric and sympathetic to the situation. Breeze in Pool would be my first stop but thats a little inconvenient. Maybe Liverpool.
Listers (Droitwich) have been good

Hi there Schadenfroid,
I purchased a a brand new California Ocean 4 mo in Nov 23 bellows label says 8/23 with new style canvas light inside . We went away for a couple of nights at the weekend and intermittent drizzle and the roof leaked all over front panel and the sides at the back this resulted in placing towels around the inside of roof .The outside was soaked through and not beading water We were not impressed as you can imagine . Speaking to supplying dealer tomorrow .
Any help would be appreciated.
You have two options; go to the dealer and just leave them to it, or digest all the pages in this thread so you have the back story, then go to the dealer. I would recommend the latter. :)

Hi there Schadenfroid,
I purchased a a brand new California Ocean 4 mo in Nov 23 bellows label says 8/23 with new style canvas light inside . We went away for a couple of nights at the weekend and intermittent drizzle and the roof leaked all over front panel and the sides at the back this resulted in placing towels around the inside of roof .The outside was soaked through and not beading water We were not impressed as you can imagine . Speaking to supplying dealer tomorrow .
Any help would be appreciated.
Yes worth reading the full thread.
Look at the posts from Carabiner #1,919 and # 1,932 regarding dealing with
Clark Commercials Edinburgh.

If you take a photo looking at the seam at the bottom of the side window "half moon" from underneath looking up, there should be a visible black seal between the seam? Perhaps share that photo on here and we can try and assess?

Edit: photo from someone else earlier in the thread, the black sealing strip is visible in this photo as an outline on the bottom right of the seam in the close-up photo - yes there are water drops here (but the overall result seemed positive) but that black sealing strip definitely wasn't there on the 03S (which I've also attached a photo of).

View attachment 118613

View attachment 118614
Hello, this was the leak in question, potentially 4s but pre the magic date?

20240129_183322.jpg

20240129_143615.jpg

Doesn’t look like an 04S to me
only waited 9 mths since notifying them of the issue...at least it's booked in for another replacement in a couple of weeks...I won't stand for anything less than post nov bellows..although I did try that stance prior to christmas and lost...

Call Adrian at VW commercial executive office.
He is the contact for this issue and will help you resolve the situation.

only waited 9 mths since notifying them of the issue...at least it's booked in for another replacement in a couple of weeks...I won't stand for anything less than post nov bellows..although I did try that stance prior to christmas and lost...
You should also make sure the bellows are the new recently introduced part number...

Just got mine back from the dealer after 3 weeks to fit a new bellows.
They have fitted another 3S!
Is that for real. Which dealers? Do they not know about the new product code?

Is that for real. Which dealers? Do they not know about the new product code?
It's Dartford. Issue was reported to them in July and in all they had it 5 weeks to verify and replace.
Just inspected it and there are dirt marks over the inside of the bellows.

I verified that they were fitting a 4S on the phone to the dealer, with Adrian and on handover to them.
They fitted a 3S!
This is so frustrating and just shouldn’t be happening. I can completely relate to this though as it’s identical to what happened with me, with Marshalls of Reading confirming they had 04S for me and then fitting 03S. Just to rub salt in the wound, besides chipping the paintwork, I am booked in for replacement of the replacements next week and they confirm that they have 04S for me but prior to 9th November. Despite knowing that two weeks ago they still haven’t sent those back and reordered, so they will now have a vacant slot in their workshop next week that isn’t earning them anything. Despite knowing that they have the wrong dated bellows it seems that they have told Adrian at VWCS only 2 days ago that they have the part to remedy my van next week. Something so simple to understand and still they keep conspiring to frustrate us. No excuse for the poor workmanship that you have experienced, problem is i sense a lot of them seem to view it as “just a commercial vehicle” rather than somebodies pride and joy ☹️

This is so frustrating and just shouldn’t be happening. I can completely relate to this though as it’s identical to what happened with me, with Marshalls of Reading confirming they had 04S for me and then fitting 03S. Just to rub salt in the wound, besides chipping the paintwork, I am booked in for replacement of the replacements next week and they confirm that they have 04S for me but prior to 9th November. Despite knowing that two weeks ago they still haven’t sent those back and reordered, so they will now have a vacant slot in their workshop next week that isn’t earning them anything. Despite knowing that they have the wrong dated bellows it seems that they have told Adrian at VWCS only 2 days ago that they have the part to remedy my van next week. Something so simple to understand and still they keep conspiring to frustrate us. No excuse for the poor workmanship that you have experienced, problem is i sense a lot of them seem to view it as “just a commercial vehicle” rather than somebodies pride and joy ☹️
The level of shoddy service standards within the VW Network is so disappointing and customer care appears to have been abandoned. I have owned VW's since 1982 and have never experienced anything like this.
What they appear to forget is that the California is one of the most expensive vehicles they sell and they need to provide a level of service a that at least matches that of the car network.

The level of shoddy service standards within the VW Network is so disappointing and customer care appears to have been abandoned. I have owned VW's since 1982 and have never experienced anything like this.
What they appear to forget is that the California is one of the most expensive vehicles they sell and they need to provide a level of service a that at least matches that of the car network.
I have an absolute nightmare experience at the hands of VW USA with my Corrado so I can confirm the diabolical service is a worldwide problem. I vowed then never to get another VW and I haven't since 2005....until now. Stuck with Audi in the interim and my experience with them has been exemplary.

I verified that they were fitting a 4S on the phone to the dealer, with Adrian and on handover to them.
They fitted a 3S!
I was worried the id tag would go missing. Without it, you haven't got a clue what revision you have. I went into the parts department and asked to look at the bellows. With hindsight, I should have rejected the October dated 04S bellows that still leak.

I was worried the id tag would go missing. Without it, you haven't got a clue what revision you have. I went into the parts department and asked to look at the bellows. With hindsight, I should have rejected the October dated 04S bellows that still leak.
I photographed mine as a record.

Back