Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I have monitored this thread since late Aug 23. I collected my new Ocean 29 Sep 23, so it must have a 03S bellows although there was not tag on the fly screen zip on delivery.

I have used the van several times overnight in dry conditions, but tested it in rainy conditions on the drive, in ever increasing duration and rain type. The latest test in mid-Jan was 6 hours in umbrella-grade rain with light to medium winds. No leaks or drips in any of my tests. (Cue "you are burying your head in the sand").

I watch the experiences here. 04S bellows promised but 03S fitted, even now in Feb 24; rumours of an 05S bellows; people having multiple bellows fitted, one after the other; dealers not believing owners, despite video evidence; Californias in the dealer for days at a time awaiting their test; and sadly, some reporting scratches and damage on return of the vehicle.

I really do wonder if I want to go through the hassle of the warranty route if my bellows does actually leak. Instead, I'm on the cusp of applying Fabsil and seam sealer to do what I can to make my bellows fully leak proof - £36 and 4-5 hours application and drying time, all under MY quality control. Yes, it will almost certainly negate the warranty. But if it does leak after treatment, it looks to be about £1500 to fit a new, updated 04S / 05S bellows. But because I would be paying, I can absolutely make sure it's the latest bellows.

Decision soon.
I also picked my van up end of September, no leaks but TBH, poptop not seen rain yet, been away 6 times and used pop top wrap every time, guess what no issues!.

I do plan to test in the rain when I can be sure of a dry spell after but I live in the Peak District and it’s been a wet winter!

It is a dilemma knowing what to do!

Our Cali was built in week 5 so I really am hoping it has got the latest bellows fitted.
We are collecting on the 8th March.

But if it doesn't have the latest bellows I am reluctant to reject the van. That would potentially result in another 3 to 4 month wait and writes off our planned trips for Easter through to June.

On balance, if it is delivered with the earlier bellows, I think we will keep the van and see how it copes with a hose sprinkler test and in real life bad weather. If it leaks, then it will be a warranty issue or a DIY fix with Fabsil depending on the severity of the leak/s.

It is a dilemma knowing what to do!

Our Cali was built in week 5 so I really am hoping it has got the latest bellows fitted.
We are collecting on the 8th March.

But if it doesn't have the latest bellows I am reluctant to reject the van. That would potentially result in another 3 to 4 month wait and writes off our planned trips for Easter through to June.

On balance, if it is delivered with the earlier bellows, I think we will keep the van and see how it copes with a hose sprinkler test and in real life bad weather. If it leaks, then it will be a warranty issue or a DIY fix with Fabsil depending on the severity of the leak/s.
Looks like you've worked out what suits you best...sounds a good plan. They are a brilliant vehicle in so many ways :)

I also picked my van up end of September, no leaks but TBH, poptop not seen rain yet, been away 6 times and used pop top wrap every time, guess what no issues!.

I do plan to test in the rain when I can be sure of a dry spell after but I live in the Peak District and it’s been a wet winter!
silly/obvious question, but why did you get the wrap? (trying to decide myself, but cant bear buying extra 'stuff'). Thanks!

Thought I would let those awaiting delivery that my Ocean ordered in late Oct was built in the first week of January and collected on the 12 Feb has a 04S roof dated 5/12/23. I am very relieved but will still be giving it a soaking as soon as I'm able to. Here is my label. 20240217_095809.jpg

silly/obvious question, but why did you get the wrap? (trying to decide myself, but cant bear buying extra 'stuff'). Thanks!
Because of this thread and wanting to enjoy the van while I wait for defacto fix. Also been camping in zero degrees so keeps the van nice a warm. As we move into spring will definitely take the plunge and get it wet. Bought it 2nd hand off here.

The above replies from those who have collected their Calis recently, or who are about to and have pre delivery info from their dealers is great news.

I am as hopeful as I can be that our week 5 build Cali will have the latest bellows.

brand new cali, build week 1 collected on 30th Jan.
First time camping in rain last night….not heavy rain…just general persistant British drizzle
04S bellows with the A sticker and it still leaked in . Will be phoning the dealership tomorrow…

First time camping in rain last night….not heavy rain…just general persistant British drizzle
04S bellows with the A sticker and it still leaked in . Will be phoning the dealership tomorrow…
Sorry to hear that. What date is on the tag?

Last edited:
I have monitored this thread since late Aug 23. I collected my new Ocean 29 Sep 23, so it must have a 03S bellows although there was not tag on the fly screen zip on delivery.

I have used the van several times overnight in dry conditions, but tested it in rainy conditions on the drive, in ever increasing duration and rain type. The latest test in mid-Jan was 6 hours in umbrella-grade rain with light to medium winds. No leaks or drips in any of my tests. (Cue "you are burying your head in the sand").

I watch the experiences here. 04S bellows promised but 03S fitted, even now in Feb 24; rumours of an 05S bellows; people having multiple bellows fitted, one after the other; dealers not believing owners, despite video evidence; Californias in the dealer for days at a time awaiting their test; and sadly, some reporting scratches and damage on return of the vehicle.

I really do wonder if I want to go through the hassle of the warranty route if my bellows does actually leak. Instead, I'm on the cusp of applying Fabsil and seam sealer to do what I can to make my bellows fully leak proof - £36 and 4-5 hours application and drying time, all under MY quality control. Yes, it will almost certainly negate the warranty. But if it does leak after treatment, it looks to be about £1500 to fit a new, updated 04S / 05S bellows. But because I would be paying, I can absolutely make sure it's the latest bellows.

Decision soon.
Parachute man, I agree and feel exactly the same as your post. As an emergency i bought a roof cover just in case. The treatment you described i would have thought have been invisible so would not be detected by VW dealer, so keeping in warranty

Sorry to hear your news.

Manchester - and their pre-sales advice and delivery process was first class. They are aware of the leaky bellows issue and would help if it happened. So they may be my deciding factor
Agree. If you have real support from the dealership this will be a big help. I hope they come through for you.

@stationmaster do you have a collection date yet? My van is currently on ship to uk from Germany. Dealer said should arrive at uk port tomorrow.

No collection date yet.

I'm sure you know this already...you still have all options available to you. Van can be rejected within 30 days of delivery.
A good dealership will help you with this and simply take the van back into stock.

@stationmaster do you have a collection date yet? My van is currently on ship to uk from Germany. Dealer said should arrive at uk port tomorrow.

No collection date yet.
Collection early March. Reckon mine came off the production line much the same time as yours, got an earlier ship for whatever reason.

Like you, i'm monitoring things!

The main thing from my perspective, is that i do not want to run headlong into a load of hassle - looking to keep things simple where possible :)

Back