Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

At this point, I’d say if an annual application of fabsil meant that the bellows were leak proof that’s a workable solution. Of course, that may not be the case.
It’s only a solution if VW tell you that’s what the solution was… unlikely they will.

Surely that can’t have been the fix.

It might not have been the fix but it could be a fix, along with a seam sealant. At earlier points in this thread, some have mentioned considering a DIY fix and to hell with the warranty.

I agree though, the lack of info regarding the nature of the VW update and the significance of the 9/11 date is hugely frustrating.

It might not have been the fix but it could be a fix, along with a seam sealant. At earlier points in this thread, some have mentioned considering a DIY fix and to hell with the warranty.

I agree though, the lack of info regarding the nature of the VW update and the significance of the 9/11 date is hugely frustrating.
My 30/10/23 bellows seam fine. They are blue, don’t know if thar makes a difference too….? I can see the seam tape in place. No idea what else could have changed again so quickly after the design changed? I think the 09/11/23 date is meaningless personally, it’s just the approximate date they went from 03S to 04S. Sounds like Chinese whispers.

My 30/10/23 bellows seam fine. They are blue, don’t know if thar makes a difference too….? I can see the seam tape in place. No idea what else could have changed again so quickly after the design changed? I think the 09/11/23 date is meaningless personally, it’s just the approximate date they went from 03S to 04S. Sounds like Chinese whispers.
I’m with you on the date, which would suggest that the 04S isn’t a reliable or consistent solution.

Firstly, thank you for the people who have contacted me about having a demonstration at the HQ at MK. If anyone else is interested do get in touch.
Has anyone had any luck about getting a gesture of goodwill? I’ve had one offer which I declined
Paul

04S A label for our new van.

Date is: 1?-12-23

Build week 3 2024.

Parked outside house in light rain/no wind 3pm - forecast is rain 'till 8pm.

Tomorrow looks to be dry.

Breeze supplied the van and have been great in every way :)
You’ve got it and not posted a photo? We collect ours tomorrow.

Tomorrow? That's great. Excitement and anxiety in equal measures :)
I've been too busy using it to take pictures.
Yup definitely a little nervous. But as we have one of the later dated bellows I’m feeling slightly hopeful.

Hope yours is leak free.

How’s it going so far out in the rain today?

Yup definitely a little nervous. But as we have one of the later dated bellows I’m feeling slightly hopeful.

Hope yours is leak free.

How’s it going so far out in the rain today?
Just took a look, and all is dry...to be honest, it is not much of a test: no wind and just light rain. The bellows are mainly being protected by the roof solid part, so far as i can tell are hardly wet. Can't offer more reassurance than that i'm afraid!

Just took a look, and all is dry...to be honest, it is not much of a test: no wind and just light rain. The bellows are mainly being protected by the roof solid part, so far as i can tell are hardly wet. Can't offer more reassurance than that i'm afraid!
We collect tomorrow morning and have a campsite booked tomorrow night.

We’ll be sleeping in the roof so I’ll update everyone tomorrow night / Tuesday morning.

Last edited:
We collect in the morning tomorrow and have a campsite booked tomorrow night.

We’ll be sleeping in the roof so I’ll update everyone tomorrow night / Tuesday morning.
Brilliant.

Enjoy your first night in the new van :)

I much prefer the roof bed to the lower one...it's like a real event...sleeping up there is the best!

Have a few towels ready just in case, and all will be good.

We collected our Ocean on Friday from Breeze in Poole.

Excellent customer service from Tom, starting with the initial enquiry, right through to hand over and follow up :thumb

Ours was a week 5 build with an 04S bellows tag dated 10/01/24.

We had the roof up yesterday in moderate rain and there were no signs of any leakage. Not an extensive test by any means, but reassuring that water wasn't pouring in.

P1030243.JPG

P1030242.JPG

We collected our Ocean on Friday from Breeze in Poole.

Excellent customer service from Tom, starting with the initial enquiry, right through to hand over and follow up :thumb

Ours was a week 5 build with an 04S bellows tag dated 10/01/24.

We had the roof up yesterday in moderate rain and there were no signs of any leakage. Not an extensive test by any means, but reassuring that water wasn't pouring in.

View attachment 120272

View attachment 120273
Would you have any photos showing what had been changed on the 04S? I believe that there is additional sealing around the windows.

Would you have any photos showing what had been changed on the 04S? I believe that there is additional sealing around the windows.
Sorry, I can't take any photos for a few days as we are away without the Cali.
Post 2290 in this thread show a photo of the front panel on new bellows if this helps.
Also several earlier replies commenting on the different design.

Sorry, I can't take any photos for a few days as we are away without the Cali.
Post 2290 in this thread show a photo of the front panel on new bellows if this helps.
Also several earlier replies commenting on the different design.
Many thanks, will check the post.

The latest episode in the leaking bellows saga.
After the dealer fitting a 03S dated 29/09 bellows and managing to leave dirty marks on the new bellows inside surface after 3 weeks to fit it. I rejected the repair verbally and in writing.
3 days later I recieve a call from the dealer asking for photos, which I sent immediately.
2 days later, a call with Adrian to discuss. He will call dealer.
10 days after my rejection I called the dealer again, they told me they had fitted what they were told to. Denies any knowledge of 04S and production date should be later than 09/11.
Dealer calls 6 days later to say it needs to be leak tested before accepting for replacement and this is backed up by the VW Exec team.

Caller the dealer today to progress, no response.

Do these people have no concept of
customer service?

After the dealer fitting a 03S dated 29/09 bellows and managing to leave dirty marks on the new bellows inside surface after 3 weeks to fit it. I rejected the repair verbally and in writing.
3 days later I recieve a call from the dealer asking for photos, which I sent immediately.
10 days after my rejection I called the dealer again, they told me they had fitted what they were told to. Denies any knowledge of 04S and production date should be later than 09/11.
Dealer calls 6 days later to say it needs to be leak tested before accepting for replacement and this is backed up by the VW Exec team.

customer service?
So very sorry to read your latest post, hopefully you will get an answer soon and get the latest bellows fitted.

customer service?
Has Adrian said that he and/or the VW Exec Team support the dealer? Hopefully that’s just the dealer saying that rather than VW Exec as Adrian has always been solid in his view that he can’t support anything prior to the 9/11 date as that’s the only date that VW are supporting centrally (even though 04S prior to then likely seem ok too). He has said on several occasions to me that 03S is a failed part, and that included when I had the same thing happen to me, as you have, with dealer replacing 03S with 03S - I didn’t even have to get them water tested. Admitedly my dealer didn’t want to water test them so that helped!

whereabouts in the world are you, as it may be that somebody on here can recommend an alternative dealership in your area?

Has Adrian said that he and/or the VW Exec Team support the dealer? Hopefully that’s just the dealer saying that rather than VW Exec as Adrian has always been solid in his view that he can’t support anything prior to the 9/11 date as that’s the only date that VW are supporting centrally (even though 04S prior to then likely seem ok too). He has said on several occasions to me that 03S is a failed part, and that included when I had the same thing happen to me, as you have, with dealer replacing 03S with 03S - I didn’t even have to get them water tested. Admitedly my dealer didn’t want to water test them so that helped!

whereabouts in the world are you, as it may be that somebody on here can recommend an alternative dealership in your area?
I had a call with Adrian today and he stated that it's a protocol that they have to follow.
In previous conversations he said pre 9/11 was a failed part but he appears to be compelled by process and protocol.on the need for a re test.

I asked Adrian how this story would appear to the outside world re the competence of VW and their concept of customer care. Perhaps we need to escalate to the press.

I am in Brentwood Essex and am using VW Dartford.

I’ve got our roof up this morning (07:45), it’s raining steadily and had one heavy downpour. So far no sign of any water ingress I will be checking the bellows throughout the morning and report back later. FYI my bellows are dated 121223.

Back