Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking rear tailgate

Simon197

Simon197

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We’ve had some issues with a leaking rear tailgate on our 22 plate T6.1 Ocean and wondered if anyone has had similar issues and managed to get them fixed. I’ve seen previous threads re issues with high level brake light causing leaks. Also aware of previous problems with leaks into the folding seat compartment causing mould but that isn’t happening on our van. First visit into Breeze Poole the brake light was replaced but the leak continued. Second visit into Breeze they couldn’t replicate the leak with tests, but it always happens with heavy rain, as is happening this morning. I’ve checked the drainage areas around the tailgate hinges and they are clear. It appears that rain is overcoming the rubber seal between the top of the tailgate and the rear of the van which then drips down onto the panel for the bed and boot floor below. Booked in for a third visit to Breeze but I just wondered if others have had similar issues and been able to resolve them. Many thanks.

We’ve had some issues with a leaking rear tailgate on our 22 plate T6.1 Ocean and wondered if anyone has had similar issues and managed to get them fixed. I’ve seen previous threads re issues with high level brake light causing leaks. Also aware of previous problems with leaks into the folding seat compartment causing mould but that isn’t happening on our van. First visit into Breeze Poole the brake light was replaced but the leak continued. Second visit into Breeze they couldn’t replicate the leak with tests, but it always happens with heavy rain, as is happening this morning. I’ve checked the drainage areas around the tailgate hinges and they are clear. It appears that rain is overcoming the rubber seal between the top of the tailgate and the rear of the van which then drips down onto the panel for the bed and boot floor below. Booked in for a third visit to Breeze but I just wondered if others have had similar issues and been able to resolve them. Many thanks.
I suspect my rubber seal is like yours, allows a few drops of water to drip. Not enough to be a problem as in my van the drips fall into a storage area. Easy enough to check by sticking a bit of paper towel up there.
”Adjusting” the seal by pulling it a couple of millimetres to make the seal a bit tighter on the door might help, but if in warranty let VW sort it.

I suspect my rubber seal is like yours, allows a few drops of water to drip. Not enough to be a problem as in my van the drips fall into a storage area. Easy enough to check by sticking a bit of paper towel up there.
”Adjusting” the seal by pulling it a couple of millimetres to make the seal a bit tighter on the door might help, but if in warranty let VW sort it.
Thanks for the response, see how it goes when it’s next in to VW

We had the same problem with a 2021 6.1. I took it to the dealers who diagnosed the problem as a rear leaking door handle. Because of the leak, the door card had warped and needed replacing. They told me the parts take about a week to arrive as the door card is seldom replaced, meanwhile, they left the door stripped down so I could drive it as its quite a job to strip it down. It’s been well tested with recent weather and all is fine.

Sorry, I realise our problem was quite different as no water was entering the van but entering the tail gate between the door and the rear of the door card. But it might be of use to someone else.

Back