Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking roof

aliceh92

aliceh92

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I’ve got a major leak in the roof and water pouring in :-( any ideas? Or anyone had this happen? Roof is closed on the screen. 2006 reg cali.

It is, rainwater from the torrential downpours this morning. Thank you I’ll check the drain holes, where are they?

Raise roof, remove the long plastic black covers, holes below hydraulic pipes for roof, use syringe to suck out crap

2 possibles -
1 drain tube disconnected where it’s fitted to the large rubber “grommet“.
2 the grommet seal is leaking and/or the drain is blocked.
If you do a search there are lots of posts, look for ”roof leaks”, ”roof drains”, etc. There are loads of photos showing the drain set up.
Given the weather it might be be worth trying to park with the bonnet higher than the boot so the rain runs away from the drain.
If you do need to clear the drain hole, take care not to dislodge the tube, as suggest a syringe used to suck the muck out is safest bet.

The grommet is the big square block, the drain hole hole is under the protrusion with the hydraulic pipes/sealant. Ignore the cable tie!
1633186214216.jpeg

Last edited:
High pressure air pipe if you have access.
be careful pushing anything down the pipe apparently you can dislodge the drain pipe.
good luck

Thank you all, this is really helpful. I’ll do these methods.

I use compressed air to blow through 'm. The stuff you use to clean your keyboard.

That looks serious.
Do you know if the roof has ever had the 'repair' done to it?
Possibly. It has let in a huge amount of water but admittedly I hadn’t checked the drain holes until now. Although the previous owner had it repaired under warranty but not sure what it was, while doing warranty work there was a hammer left in the pop top and then they had to fix the roof but it all seemed fine and in storms previously hasn’t done this. I’m hopeful it’s a drainpipe issue

Possibly. It has let in a huge amount of water but admittedly I hadn’t checked the drain holes until now. Although the previous owner had it repaired under warranty but not sure what it was, while doing warranty work there was a hammer left in the pop top and then they had to fix the roof but it all seemed fine and in storms previously hasn’t done this. I’m hopeful it’s a drainpipe issue
Posting a few pictures of the roof might help,
the front and sides.
And with the roof down especially for the front
shot.

Has it been standing or driven or parked? If it has had the front cap (the panel above the windscreen) replaced as part of the roof warranty repair.
Some people have had water ingress due to the replacement cap not being watertight but I think it showed up when driving with water being forced though a gap above the screen..

High pressure air pipe if you have access.
be careful pushing anything down the pipe apparently you can dislodge the drain pipe.
good luck
No way should you use a high pressure line. Very good chance of blowing the drain pipe and connector off.

Did you get this fixed, what was the remedy? Thanks