Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Purchase Process - Drive the Deal and Eurovans Crawley

C

Carabiner

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We picked up our Cali in late August '23 from Eurovans Crawley. Hopefully, this post will be of some use to other folk considering a similar purchase process, we certainly discovered a lot during our experience.

We went through Drive the Deal, which I'd highly recommend. They saved us 8-9k of the list price, and made it possible for us to get a Cali, as we were really nervous about a private purchase, setting aside warranty benefits, etc. Eurovans Crawley were the dealer that picked us up, and I found them to be good, as far as it goes. Our van was delivered in almost exactly three months from order (£1k deposit), and during the order the only updates we got were when I cracked and called EV. Mike Wool was handling things, and I found him pleasant and helpful, but clearly too busy to be pro-active in keeping you in the loop. I found this disconcerting, on a 67k purchase!

A week or two before the pick up date, we got email details from EV on how to make payment. Alarm bells rang for me, is this a scam? I was very nervous about transferring funds to an emailed account number. Made a call to EV to confirm the details, and made a test small payment and waited for confirmation they'd got it. Of course, paranoia was rife and I was second-guessing myself that Mike wasn't actually employed by EV and was part of the scam. I don't know about you but it's rare for me to be transferring 10s of k. Anyway, all was fine in the end, although one thing we weren't aware of was the daily limit on moving 25k out of our bank.

All bills paid, we arranged to get a tracker fitted. We went for the Scorpion V5 Plus. Remote immobilisation if the van was nicked with the keys was important to us, and we plan to keep our van for a good few years so the ownership lifetime one off fee was also attractive to us too. The tracker was fitted at EV before we picked it up. The tracker has been good so far, van starts first time, and it's effectively invisible for us in daily use.

We live near Edinburgh so took the train down to pick up the van, which was actually a nice experience. The plan was to visit some family and have a relaxed trip back North. Given the saving we made, it was a no brainer, and we took our time and enjoyed the process. EV could have had the van delivered but I think it was nicer to make a trip of it.

Picking up the van, was good. The van was ready and prep'ed for when we arrived. Mike W gave us a walk though the van's features, then he left us and I (obsessively) took a load of pictures and ran through the purchase checklist from the forum. I think we were there for three hours!

We assumed the comfort mattress was something extra over the 'actual comfort mattress', so didn't order one. When we realised, and didn't have even that one, we picked one up secondhand. We find it comfortable to sleep on, but maybe we're just not very fussy about that.

EV had put around £20 fuel in, but there's garage right next door, and we expected no less.

Nervously driving off all was fine until maybe an hour later we had a tyre pressure warning come on. Stopped at a nearby garage and topped off and reset the values. Apparently, this if a known issue with new tyres when they first get warm. No problems since.

We arrived at our relatives in Winchester where we'd ordered a 907 gas bottle delivered from Chorley Bottled Gas. Didn't need anything else, the regulator was supplied with the van.

Had a nice relaxed drive back home with a couple of camps on the way.

After a week or so we phoned EV to take out the extended warranty covering for five years. Seemed a good deal to us.

Incidentally, we have the leaking bellows, we were informed it might be an issue on purchase. I'm confident that this will get resolved properly within our warranty period, so aside from the hassle, I'm not overly concerned about it.

Anyway, I hope this if of some use/interest to folk waiting for their van. I know I was pretty obsessively checking delivery times as the days past.

We picked up our Cali in late August '23 from Eurovans Crawley. Hopefully, this post will be of some use to other folk considering a similar purchase process, we certainly discovered a lot during our experience.

We went through Drive the Deal, which I'd highly recommend. They saved us 8-9k of the list price, and made it possible for us to get a Cali, as we were really nervous about a private purchase, setting aside warranty benefits, etc. Eurovans Crawley were the dealer that picked us up, and I found them to be good, as far as it goes. Our van was delivered in almost exactly three months from order (£1k deposit), and during the order the only updates we got were when I cracked and called EV. Mike Wool was handling things, and I found him pleasant and helpful, but clearly too busy to be pro-active in keeping you in the loop. I found this disconcerting, on a 67k purchase!

A week or two before the pick up date, we got email details from EV on how to make payment. Alarm bells rang for me, is this a scam? I was very nervous about transferring funds to an emailed account number. Made a call to EV to confirm the details, and made a test small payment and waited for confirmation they'd got it. Of course, paranoia was rife and I was second-guessing myself that Mike wasn't actually employed by EV and was part of the scam. I don't know about you but it's rare for me to be transferring 10s of k. Anyway, all was fine in the end, although one thing we weren't aware of was the daily limit on moving 25k out of our bank.

All bills paid, we arranged to get a tracker fitted. We went for the Scorpion V5 Plus. Remote immobilisation if the van was nicked with the keys was important to us, and we plan to keep our van for a good few years so the ownership lifetime one off fee was also attractive to us too. The tracker was fitted at EV before we picked it up. The tracker has been good so far, van starts first time, and it's effectively invisible for us in daily use.

We live near Edinburgh so took the train down to pick up the van, which was actually a nice experience. The plan was to visit some family and have a relaxed trip back North. Given the saving we made, it was a no brainer, and we took our time and enjoyed the process. EV could have had the van delivered but I think it was nicer to make a trip of it.

Picking up the van, was good. The van was ready and prep'ed for when we arrived. Mike W gave us a walk though the van's features, then he left us and I (obsessively) took a load of pictures and ran through the purchase checklist from the forum. I think we were there for three hours!

We assumed the comfort mattress was something extra over the 'actual comfort mattress', so didn't order one. When we realised, and didn't have even that one, we picked one up secondhand. We find it comfortable to sleep on, but maybe we're just not very fussy about that.

EV had put around £20 fuel in, but there's garage right next door, and we expected no less.

Nervously driving off all was fine until maybe an hour later we had a tyre pressure warning come on. Stopped at a nearby garage and topped off and reset the values. Apparently, this if a known issue with new tyres when they first get warm. No problems since.

We arrived at our relatives in Winchester where we'd ordered a 907 gas bottle delivered from Chorley Bottled Gas. Didn't need anything else, the regulator was supplied with the van.

Had a nice relaxed drive back home with a couple of camps on the way.

After a week or so we phoned EV to take out the extended warranty covering for five years. Seemed a good deal to us.

Incidentally, we have the leaking bellows, we were informed it might be an issue on purchase. I'm confident that this will get resolved properly within our warranty period, so aside from the hassle, I'm not overly concerned about it.

Anyway, I hope this if of some use/interest to folk waiting for their van. I know I was pretty obsessively checking delivery times as the days past.
Nice write up, pretty much mirrors my experience apart from we had no tire warning issues.

You will find a lot of people on here moaning about Eurovans (a lot of time people who did not even use them) but to me it was fine, cheap and efficient.

Not sure if my pop top leaks yet as we have been using a wrap since we bought it, which given current temperatures we would have done anyway so no issues (frosty at Cherry Hinton last week). We will try it in the rain come spring and make the claim if necessary, hopefully by then there will be a fix which looks more likely now.
Personally I am loving the van so far and am not too concerned about the leak issue as I have a temporary fix.
Hope your loving it too.

Nice write up, pretty much mirrors my experience apart from we had no tire warning issues.

You will find a lot of people on here moaning about Eurovans (a lot of time people who did not even use them) but to me it was fine, cheap and efficient.

Not sure if my pop top leaks yet as we have been using a wrap since we bought it, which given current temperatures we would have done anyway so no issues (frosty at Cherry Hinton last week). We will try it in the rain come spring and make the claim if necessary, hopefully by then there will be a fix which looks more likely now.
Personally I am loving the van so far and am not too concerned about the leak issue as I have a temporary fix.
Hope your loving it too.
Well yeah, it's all rainbows and unicorns until you find your bellows leak and you get ghosted.

I've ordered from EV and I too find I have to do most of the chasing, but that's typical of most of the many many car dealers I've bought new cars from over the years. Once most sales people have your order their pro-activity seems to fall of a cliff.
I fully respect those who are taking a pragmatic view of the bellows and it's a very positive way to be. I personally don't find it acceptable if they leak and I will be rejecting my vehicle within the 30 day cancellation period if mine do. Although this will be a bitterly disappointing, I'd rather this than roll the dice on if/when the issue will be dealt with satisfactorily when it'll be nigh on impossible to return.

Pretty much our exact experience. Zero issues with Eurovans and Dave who was our salesman pass through from DtD.

That they informed you about the bellows was admirable and your considered response about that is refreshing considering some of the looping conversations on here.

Enjoy your van.

Rightly or wrongly I think if more rejected their vehicles, they would expedite resolution of this problem as this process extremely costly to the dealer and manufacturer.

Hope your loving it too.
Thanks, we’re absolutely loving the van. Aside from the warranty and financial questions, even if the warranty replacement wasn’t an effective solution, I think we’d keep the van and either get a wrap and/or a third party bellows. We have Jerba nearby and their midge resistant bellows seem very good. Completely understand and respect the differing viewpoints of others, it’s a big Chunk of change and everyone wants a good experience, I guess.

Thanks, we’re absolutely loving the van. Aside from the warranty and financial questions, even if the warranty replacement wasn’t an effective solution, I think we’d keep the van and either get a wrap and/or a third party bellows. We have Jerba nearby and their midge resistant bellows seem very good. Completely understand and respect the differing viewpoints of others, it’s a big Chunk of change and everyone wants a good experience, I guess.
We have a Comfortz wrap, really good this time of year, also good at reducing noise. There is a massive difference in noise from being upstairs v downstairs so it really helps with that. Slightly awkward to get on, could do with being a foot taller!

Last edited:
We have a Beach Camper on order with EV via DtD. Placed the order about a month ago have optioned the van quite heavily so hoping that this doesn’t add to the delivery time. We are in SE London so not quite the adventure to collect. I’ve purchased cars through CarWow before so was used to this slightly distant buying process and as a result feel less sceptical. I’m sure it will all be fine! Can’t wait to get the van and start using it. Plan of upgrades and customisations are as long as my arm ! The biggest decision is what colour to wrap the lower section in (van is white)

We have a Comfortz wrap, really good this time of year, also good at reducing noise. There is a massive difference in noise from being upstairs v downstairs so it really helps with that. Slightly awkward to get on, could do with being a foot taller!
We got a little folding stool from Amazon. Cheap. Fits inside one of the chairs in the boot. It doesn't make it "easy" but it makes it "easier".

We got a little folding stool from Amazon. Cheap. Fits inside one of the chairs in the boot. It doesn't make it "easy" but it makes it "easier".
These are really useful for cleaning the windscreen too providing a little more reach for the vertically challenged.

Rightly or wrongly I think if more rejected their vehicles, they would expedite resolution of this problem as this process extremely costly to the dealer and manufacturer.
I very much doubt if it will cost the Dealership or VW anything. The Dealership will be paid for the Warranty Replacement and VW will have a contract with the Bellows maker to exchange faulty bellows and probably to reimburse for fitting/warranty costs. So it will be costing the Bellows manufacturer.
As far as returning the vehicle, well they refund you - milage costs, have had the use of your money for 30 days and can probably sell your van at the same or greater cost.
So the only people who lose out are you and possibly the Bellows manufacturer, who might have made a calculation for warranty costs/replacement in their pricing to VW to minimise their bottom line.

So the only people who lose out are you and possibly the Bellows manufacturer, who might have made a calculation for warranty costs/replacement in their pricing to VW to minimise their bottom line.
I doubt the bellows manufacturer will have factored in quite so many warranty replacements. By my calculation every vehicle produced since end of Sept 2022 will need one. And some have had up to 5 replacements. Thats REALLY gonna hurt the bottom line.

I doubt the bellows manufacturer will have factored in quite so many warranty replacements. By my calculation every vehicle produced since end of Sept 2022 will need one. And some have had up to 5 replacements. Thats REALLY gonna hurt the bottom line.
But how many owners use their vehicles outside summer high days and holidays or because they park on the street or somewhere where they cannot put up the roof to dry it routinely and so use a Topper to keep the bellows dry.
It doesn’t matter how many cases there are, at the most there might be some reputational damage, but it will be short term and soon forgotten, and certainly not affect VWs bottom line.

I brought a used Caravelle from Eurovans about 6 months ago. I had a couple of problems but they sorted them all out. They even came to Bristol to pick up the Caravelle.
I think VW Commercial dealers are not good at the follow up process when you order a vehicle. I suspect that most of there work comes from the fleet market so are not interested in getting updates on the build schedule. They are only interested in will it be available when I need it.
That said I would recommend Eurovans to friends and family.
I always do a test bank transfer of a small amount to check that the money is going to the right account. Any good dealer would understand this and would not mind checking the transfer.

Cant fault Breeze so far for their follow up process after placing our order recently. I have so far received two emails containing video links from Tom at Breeze where he has provided an update of the order status and progress to date. Very impressed with Breeze so far in my dealings with them.

I very much doubt if it will cost the Dealership or VW anything. The Dealership will be paid for the Warranty Replacement and VW will have a contract with the Bellows maker to exchange faulty bellows and probably to reimburse for fitting/warranty costs. So it will be costing the Bellows manufacturer.
As far as returning the vehicle, well they refund you - milage costs, have had the use of your money for 30 days and can probably sell your van at the same or greater cost.
You may be correct, but I'm not so sure about selling at a profit anymore. Half the 2023 Oceans I can see for sale are up for high £60k's which is less much than list, and even discounted prices. A few months ago all 2023 used Oceans were commanding at least £73k as I was considering buying nearly new myself. The fact that a used Cali will not benefit from the 5yr 0% finance offer combined with the fact lead times are shortest for a long time (mine has taken exactly 2 months from order to delivery at the dealer) will not help used prices. I'm sure if the dealer has to sell a returned vehicle they will end up at a loss after their expenses.

We bought one of the travel stools at the Caravan and Motorhome show, makes it a lot easier, just need to have good balance!

Amtech - Telescopic Outdoor Stool for Gardens, Camping, and Picnics, Lightweight and Portable, Suitable for Dry, Level, and Firm Ground, Wipe-Clean Nylon (45cm) https://amzn.eu/d/1TCpuFf

We bought one of the travel stools at the Caravan and Motorhome show, makes it a lot easier, just need to have good balance!

Amtech - Telescopic Outdoor Stool for Gardens, Camping, and Picnics, Lightweight and Portable, Suitable for Dry, Level, and Firm Ground, Wipe-Clean Nylon (45cm) https://amzn.eu/d/1TCpuFf
That looks like ballerina territory! I’d undoubtedly provide a spectator sport if I attempted to balance on one of those!

take out the extended warranty covering for five years. Seemed a good deal to us.
Yes a no brainer to me.
I had a similar experience with EV 2 years ago…except their lack of knowledge about the infotainment was surprising!

Looks like every thread now is a bellows thread, no matter the subject. I get that it’s really annoying for the three people who post into every thread about it, but it does make what was a diverse and interesting forum more challenging to navigate and answer questions without always being drawn into a “but the bellows” conversation.

Back