Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery not holding charge

AlexInSweden

AlexInSweden

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
It does sound as if they have had it. I don’t know which battery makes are available in Sweden but if possible I wouldn’t go for the cheapest unless it’s a well known make like Varta or Exide, and a good warranty period 4+ years.
Whichever you get they should be charged for 12 - 24 hrs monthly unless your camping on EHU.
Overwinter, the same.
Ok thanks. I’ve emailed this company to see if I can get the same ones or they can advise me. I have the previous receipt, they cost £320 a pair which seems mid-range. Do you know if I have to do anything special when I fit them? Or just reconnect and hook up /drive for a bit? (assuming I get close-to-identical batteries).

AlisonF

AlisonF

Staff member
forum co ordinator
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Ok thanks. I’ve emailed this company to see if I can get the same ones or they can advise me. I have the previous receipt, they cost £320 a pair which seems mid-range. Do you know if I have to do anything special when I fit them? Or just reconnect and hook up /drive for a bit? (assuming I get close-to-identical batteries).
The link didn’t show up - maybe type the name?

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
If they are like for like replacements then just install and put the vehicle on mains hookup. If you wish, and have a separate battery charger, you could fully charge both batteries before installing, but just installing and charging in the vehicle will not be problematic.
However I would check that the charging system was set up correctly, as @sidepod mentioned in Posts 11 & 17.

sidepod

sidepod

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Make life easy for yourself and get one big one, less faf with connectors etc.C1059536-52B7-4D11-9661-7288314F61D9.jpeg

sidepod

sidepod

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
For ref, when adjusting your control panel use the Sonnenchein setting if you use this Exide battery.

AlexInSweden

AlexInSweden

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi again, anyone happen to know if 2 x 86ah Batteries would be suitable? There are some available locally and they fit snugly in the cabinet. My old ones were 105ah.

sidepod

sidepod

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Blinding. Do make sure you connect them in parallel.

sidepod

sidepod

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
....thats poz to poz, neg to neg.

AlexInSweden

AlexInSweden

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
....thats poz to poz, neg to neg.
Yep, I made sure I took pics as I took them out, so I can retrace my steps! I’m thinking 2x86ah is probably enough as I only really run the fridge and we tend to use hookups at night.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Yep, I made sure I took pics as I took them out, so I can retrace my steps! I’m thinking 2x86ah is probably enough as I only really run the fridge and we tend to use hookups at night.
They should be fine. The latest California only has 2 x 75amp Leisure Batteries.

VW California Club