Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Let down by VW

trevor k

trevor k

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
You would think in the current climate they would try to keep their existing customers happy, but no.
Order placed mid Oct, dealer set delivery date1st March, all seemed well until yesterday, call from the dealer, sorry your vehicle has been built to the wrong specification so I can either take what they have built? Or I can reorder and wait until May, some choice!
I've told them I'm not happy with either of these options so now I have to wait and see what they will do next.
Anybody had a similar problem?
I'll keep you posted.

In what way has the specification been altered.

Someone had this issue last year I "think" they had the wrong van free to use until the right order was built

They forgot the multi function steering wheel so no cruise control, side scan etc.

Multi function steering wheel has nothing to do with Cruise control, it has its own stalk that can easily be retrofitted, what else is missing?

Multi function steering wheel has nothing to do with Cruise control, it has its own stalk that can easily be retrofitted, what else is missing?

Multi function steering wheel on my T6 has cruise control, no stalk.

No full details as yet just a short call, but definitely cruise control and side scan, dealer going to contact me again tomorrow with full details.

Trevor,

All I'm going to say is whatever's missing, whatever get's fixed, whatever compromises are suggested it is still one hell of a big let down for you.

Looking forward to the arrival of a new camper is one of the most exciting times in an otherwise boring mundane world of look-alike vehicles and to hear that you may either not get it when promised or in a form that was not anticipated is one hell of a disappointment, so my commiserations.

Last edited:
Same thing happened with an Audi I bought in 2011, I waited 9 months for delivery when it arrived there were two options missing (B&O speaker upgrade and interior LED lights) they let me use the vehicle whilst the correct spec vehicle was ordered. I used the vehicle for 7 months and put 10000 miles on it, when the correct car arrived it was on a newer reg plate and cost to me was zero.

Get back to the dealership and speak to the business manager tell them you want to use the vehicle while they sort out the error and try and push for more options at the dealers expense to compensate for the error. It could workout in your favour.

No full details as yet just a short call, but definitely cruise control and side scan, dealer going to contact me again tomorrow with full details.

Awful service, the dealer however should be able to retrofit these, though if it was me I'd be taking the van and using it until they deliver a new one.

We were the someone. The factory had changed the option spec for the parking heater and as our order had the 'wrong' spec they just didn't bother changing it and VW UK didn't tell us about the change.

As well as already having a decent discount we also had them fit a bike rack, bring the price down a bit to the nearest 500 as well as having a van with similar spec from the time they admitted their fault to the delivery of our new order. They paid road tax and insurance during this time. Of course this does depend on there being a van available that meets your spec.

Don't get angry get even.... And don't as GJ said I think let it spoil your enjoyment of great vehicle.

PS the insurance wouldn't allow us to go outside the UK, so if you were planning that make sure you get the cover.

Suggest you reorder but leverage some extra specs or bigger discount and at least the new Cali will be post March registered and in time for the spring rather than wet soggy March - just a thought!

What happened?

What happened?
Good news, got a call late last night from the dealer, VW have agreed a final settlement of a Cali on loan from now until a new vehicle arrives, and a significant contribution to an upgrade for my trouble, must thank the dealer for their support on this one, VW were a bit reluctant to negotiate, thank you Benfield.

Good news, got a call late last night from the dealer, VW have agreed a final settlement of a Cali on loan from now until a new vehicle arrives, and a significant contribution to an upgrade for my trouble, must thank the dealer for their support on this one, VW were a bit reluctant to negotiate, thank you Benfield.
Sounds like a reasonable outcome Trevor. My Cali was also due to be built last week for 1 March handover. I'll be calling the dealer on Monday to make sure they have built it to spec............

Back