Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LEZ/CAZ Confusion

• Thread starter The Mighty Pauls
  • Start date
My camper is a Euro 5 N1 T6 140ps Highline (V5C shows Motor Caravan) and shows as compliant in all checkable zones including the ULEZ.
I believe as far as the T6 is concerned it's more the fact that it is BMT (Blue Motion Technology) and not so much Euro 5 or 6.
That just sounds like a lucky error. Charging zones are based on emissions standards. 5 being chargeable & 6 not.

All very confusing!

I have to pay in Bath, Bradford, Birmingham, Manchester but not Portsmouth???

T5 SE - VW59 CAL why aren't we classed as a private vehicle?

Annoying as I live inside the Manchester zone.

All very confusing!

I have to pay in Bath, Bradford, Birmingham, Manchester but not Portsmouth???

T5 SE - VW59 CAL why aren't we classed as a private vehicle?

Annoying as I live inside the Manchester zone.
It's because you are classed as a van on the DVLA checker.

There is a national exemption working in Bath and Bradford (maybe others) where M1 motor caravans are exempt - they have to have bed and table or similar probably factory fit to be in that classification.

If you are factory fit beach or ocean then you could get DVLA to reclassify your vehicle.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

More ULEZ news - bit confusing, seems to suggest even M1 and under 3.5MGW may need to pay a daily charge .. even if EU6 compliant ...

I have just received confirmation from CAZ after my challenges that my Beach is exempt and they are updating the records accordingly.

It does seem that there are mistakes so it is worth checking/pursuing if it does flag a Euro 6 vehicle as having to pay, for now. I’m sure eventually we will!
Hi Chainline - i went to Bham a couple of weeks ago in my 2016 150 euro 6 Beach manual yellow - and this week received my penalty charge / fine ?? - i hadnt checked the website, but assumed that because im euro6 and OK in London / Paris / New York / pop music etc i would be OK in Bham. I think they should actually pay me to go to Birmingham -

apart from the colour my van is the same as yours - i was wondering if you could guide me on getting this cancelled and ensuring my vehicle is made exempt.

Many thanks

Harsh on Brum! Some lovely people and a great Burger joint, but I can try and dig out my emails.

Hi Chainline - i went to Bham a couple of weeks ago in my 2016 150 euro 6 Beach manual yellow - and this week received my penalty charge / fine ?? - i hadnt checked the website, but assumed that because im euro6 and OK in London / Paris / New York / pop music etc i would be OK in Bham. I think they should actually pay me to go to Birmingham -

apart from the colour my van is the same as yours - i was wondering if you could guide me on getting this cancelled and ensuring my vehicle is made exempt.

Many thanks
They have the details to challenge the Penaty Notice.

My early (14 April 2016) T6 with the older CAAC 140ps engine shows like this on the Government Clean Air Zones website. This vehicle started life as a LWB Kombi so has a WV1 VIN i.e. a commercial vehicle but shown on its V5C as 'Motor Caravan'

Results for all current clean air zones
For vehicle registration (number plate)VK66 ***

Clean air zoneDaily chargeZone liveMapExemptions
BathNo ChargeNowBathZone boundaryBath and North East Somerset Council
BirminghamNo ChargeNowBirminghamZone boundaryBirmingham City Council
BradfordNo ChargeNowBradfordZone boundaryBradford City Council
BristolNo ChargeNowBristolZone boundaryBristol City Council
Greater ManchesterNo ChargeUnder reviewGreater ManchesterZone boundaryGreater Manchester
PortsmouthNo ChargeNowPortsmouthZone boundaryPortsmouth City Council
SheffieldNo ChargeNowSheffieldZone boundarySheffield City Council
Tyneside - Newcastle and GatesheadNo ChargeNowTyneside - Newcastle and GatesheadZone boundaryTyneside - Newcastle and Gateshead

@CALI FATE how does yours show on the Government website?

Harsh on Brum! Some lovely people and a great Burger joint, but I can try and dig out my emails.
Had an uplifting experience in Brum! Walking from the station to an unfamiliar office I passed a car rental yard and asked the chap cleaning cars directions, replied ”jump in” and drove me there! Refused to take the taxi fare. That experience and Black Sabbath gets Brum a 10/10!

They have the details to challenge the Penaty Notice.

This is how I started it I think as I only have my ‘noreply’ responses from them.
Happy to share them.

Text of 1st:
servlet.ImageServer
Dear Philip Pryor,
I am looking into your enquiry for you. Please be aware it can take up to 15 working days for you to receive a response.
Thank you for your patience.
Please be aware, if your enquiry is regarding your vehicle’s compliance within a Clean Air Zone, you would still need to make payments while the investigation is being undertaken. If the outcome of the investigation shows your vehicle as compliant, you can submit an application for a refund directly to the Local Authority.
Best Regards,

On this one I kicked off in time and didn’t pay/refund

Final one, name of guy removed.

Essentially I think challenge as per Welshgas, I quoted my V5, had to provide my VIN etc.

Thank you for your enquiry received on 04/11/2021. Your case reference number is 00013347.

Based on the information available on your vehicle's DVLA record, I can confirm that your vehicle is compliant with the minimum emissions standards for Clean Air Zones, and your vehicle is not subject to Clean Air Zone charges.

I have requested for your record to be updated to reflect this.

This will be updated within 2 working days. Please check back on the Vehicle Checker before your next journey into or within the Clean Air Zone.

Please be aware, if you intend to drive into or within the zone before this has been updated, you will still need to pay for the journey. When this has been updated, you can contact the Local Authority for a refund.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our reply form link:linkhttps://contact.dvla.gov.uk/response?case_id=5004K00000Bym17

[name not included] - Escalation Unit

My early (14 April 2016) T6 with the older CAAC 140ps engine shows like this on the Government Clean Air Zones website. This vehicle started life as a LWB Kombi so has a WV1 VIN i.e. a commercial vehicle but shown on its V5C as 'Motor Caravan'

Results for all current clean air zones
For vehicle registration (number plate)VK66 ***

Greater ManchesterNo ChargeUnder reviewGreater ManchesterZone boundaryGreater Manchester
Tyneside - Newcastle and GatesheadNo ChargeNowTyneside - Newcastle and GatesheadZone boundaryTyneside - Newcastle and Gateshead

@CALI FATE how does yours show on the Government website?
Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 19.58.52.png

This is how I started it I think as I only have my ‘noreply’ responses from them.
Happy to share them.

Text of 1st:
servlet.ImageServer
Dear Philip Pryor,
I am looking into your enquiry for you. Please be aware it can take up to 15 working days for you to receive a response.
Thank you for your patience.
Please be aware, if your enquiry is regarding your vehicle’s compliance within a Clean Air Zone, you would still need to make payments while the investigation is being undertaken. If the outcome of the investigation shows your vehicle as compliant, you can submit an application for a refund directly to the Local Authority.
Best Regards,

On this one I kicked off in time and didn’t pay/refund

Final one, name of guy removed.

Essentially I think challenge as per Welshgas, I quoted my V5, had to provide my VIN etc.

Thank you for your enquiry received on 04/11/2021. Your case reference number is 00013347.

Based on the information available on your vehicle's DVLA record, I can confirm that your vehicle is compliant with the minimum emissions standards for Clean Air Zones, and your vehicle is not subject to Clean Air Zone charges.

I have requested for your record to be updated to reflect this.

This will be updated within 2 working days. Please check back on the Vehicle Checker before your next journey into or within the Clean Air Zone.

Please be aware, if you intend to drive into or within the zone before this has been updated, you will still need to pay for the journey. When this has been updated, you can contact the Local Authority for a refund.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our reply form link:linkhttps://contact.dvla.gov.uk/response?case_id=5004K00000Bym17

[name not included] - Escalation Unit
many thanks

@CALI FATE so what's the difference between your van and mine? What date of manufacture and which engine (Code Letters)? If as your avatar it's a 150ps with adblue DPF etc?

Good news for me - i wrote a letter to Bham CAZ people and explained that the van is Euro 6 etc and they cancelled the charge - and will update their records so i dont get a similar charge. I noticed that my van is also showing as non-compliant in Bath and Bristol too so ive asked DVLA to update their records to ensure all zones are consistent -

2014 180 4Motion, no charge for Bath, only London.
Hi, I know this was back in 2019, but I have been going through as many ULEZ post before I post ( might not need to post if info already around). So I have also been putting my reg in the various checkers To see how much of a problem I may have.
I have 2013 T5 180 not 4x4 albeit a year before yours but Bath will charge me.
Mine is definitely not euro 6 but euro 5, have you any thoughts on why?
Do you know if Bath has changed since 2019?

Thank you

Hi, I know this was back in 2019, but I have been going through as many ULEZ post before I post ( might not need to post if info already around). So I have also been putting my reg in the various checkers To see how much of a problem I may have.

Thank you
There is a national exemption for leisure vehicles of a certain type - such as those that come factory fit with a kitchen / bed etc. It wasn't on the database when Bath launched but is now and also is in Bradford.

All the CAZ can be checked here

Thank you
Having argued with Bath Council several times about the clean air charge for my Defender - they will only accept what’s on the CAZ checker on the .gov website. Hopefully it isn’t an issue for your Cali but my Landrover was registered as a commercial vehicle by Landrover when built and so Bath Council won’t accept it’s a private car - like the identical Defenders that came off the production line with a car classification.

No issues with the new cali 6.1 however, apart from their ridiculous rules on parking permits.

My previous T5

CAZ vehicle typeVan
MakeVolkswagen
ModelTporter t32 tline 180 tdi lwb
ColourSilver
Fuel typeDiesel

Self-build but registered as body type 'Motor Caravan' but still N1 classification

Bath£9.00 PayNowBathZone boundaryBath and North East Somerset Council
Birmingham£8.00 PayNowBirminghamZone boundaryBirmingham City Council
Bradford£9.00 PayNowBradfordZone boundaryBradford City Council
Bristol£9.00 PayNowBristolZone boundaryBristol City Council
Greater Manchester£10.00Under reviewGreater ManchesterZone boundaryGreater Manchester
Sheffield£10.00 PayNowSheffieldZone boundarySheffield City Council
Tyneside - Newcastle and Gateshead£12.50 PayNowTyneside - Newcastle and GatesheadZone boundaryTyneside - Newcastle and Gateshead

This vehicle co-incidentally lives in the Bath area.

My current T6

Vehicle details​

CAZ vehicle typeVan
MakeVolkswagen
ModelTransporter t32 h-ln tdi bmt
ColourSilver
Fuel typeDiesel

Also a self-build and registered as body type 'Motor Caravan' and also still classified as N1

Tyneside - Newcastle and GatesheadNo ChargeNowTyneside - Newcastle and Gateshead Zone boundaryTyneside - Newcastle and Gateshead

This is a 2016 T6 which has no Adblue or DPF, so the difference in restrictions/charges must be due to the quoted emissions on the V5C.

This one is for sale by the way.

Last edited:
Having argued with Bath Council several times about the clean air charge for my Defender - they will only accept what’s on the CAZ checker on the .gov website. Hopefully it isn’t an issue for your Cali but my Landrover was registered as a commercial vehicle by Landrover when built and so Bath Council won’t accept it’s a private car - like the identical Defenders that came off the production line with a car classification.

No issues with the new cali 6.1 however, apart from their ridiculous rules on parking permits.

The difference in the eyes of the DVLA etc. is whether the vehicle is registered as N1 (good vehicle) or M1 (passenger carrying), as far as I am aware this cannot be changed once it is registered regardless of vehicle construction/conversion changes unlike the body type which can be changed on a V5C.

There is a national exemption for leisure vehicles of a certain type - such as those that come factory fit with a kitchen / bed etc. It wasn't on the database when Bath launched but is now and also is in Bradford.

All the CAZ can be checked here

Thank you, but just keyed in my reg again and I will get charged in everyone of the cities except Portsmouth. Mine is a pure factory fit T5 California but does not seem to be exempt.
Interestingly as expected I fail ULEZ but pass LEZ.

Thank you, but just keyed in my reg again and I will get charged in everyone of the cities except Portsmouth. Mine is a pure factory fit T5 California but does not seem to be exempt.
Interestingly as expected I fail ULEZ but pass LEZ.
So your V5 must state van rather than a leisure vehicle - there are inconsistencies on the vehicle typed at point of manufacture

I have read about some vehicles having this changed, you need to contact the DVLA.

So your V5 must state van rather than a leisure vehicle - there are inconsistencies on the vehicle typed at point of manufacture

I have read about some vehicles having this changed, you need to contact the DVLA.

I think you may be onto something there. Just got out my V5 which states -
Body type = Motor Caravan that seems positive but the Taxation class
Private/Light goods???
Anyhow I will contact DVLA as suggested. Thank you.

The difference in the eyes of the DVLA etc. is whether the vehicle is registered as N1 (good vehicle) or M1 (passenger carrying), as far as I am aware this cannot be changed once it is registered regardless of vehicle construction/conversion changes unlike the body type which can be changed on a V5C.
Exactly this - frustrating but one of those things you just have to accept. Grudgingly.