Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LEZ zones in europe with euro 3 (pariah) diesel

C

chuggertwo

any advice or do we have to go for (a faff) multiple tickets for numerous countries ??

Depends on where you go , there are sooo many diffrent rules in every diffrent country that you just need to narrow down where you go and look for info on the specific websites .
France for instance has a few cities allready from last year on but the list is growing .
Belgium for now two cities , Antwerp and Brussels both diffrent rules ...typical !
Germany for long time allready the "umweltplakette"

thanks.... but just wondering particularly when travelling through germany with an older (pariah) diesel and avoiding driving through (rather than round ) major towns etc with a Euro 3 diesel whether its worth getting a plakette.
I note most umwelt zones there now seem to have a min requirement of euro 4.
Is it required whether you drive in to these zones or not as a foreign registered vehicle (although our exclusive it is an import!) ??
Are you making it less likely that you are caught/traced if you don't register and have your details logged ?
What do more seasoned older california drivers do on their european tours?

Sorry about duplication elsewhere...
Just wondering whether plakettes etc worth registering (as most zones in germany minimum requirement is euro 4 engine and newer.)
How do other frequent european adventurers with older vehicles manage navigating these zones?
Happy not to enter these towns/cities but will you still be liable for fine (s) on ring roads en route as we meander south through belgium/germany?

From what I understand of the LEZ zones in Germany, they're really only applicable to some big cities and so generally driving around on the highways or small towns/villages is no issue - though I'm not an expert, thats just my understanding. We have though managed to get a green (appropriately!:D) badge for our T4 because it has a catalytic converter, so we're good to go into the cities too...

In Brussels for example (where we live), the LEZ laws are only just coming into action and actually before re-checking today I was under the impression that motor-homes/campers were exempt, but upon re-checking, seems they've changed their minds and we will now have to apply for exemption - oh great! That will be fun! We only live 2km within the LEZ perimeter...:headbang

Regarding foreign vehicles, for example in the Brussels LEZ, currenty no issue, but seems towards the end of this year you will have to register your vehicle before entering the zone. Sounds to me like a very well thought of process (please note my sense of sarcasm here...) - and like Hotel says, typically each city seems to have its own rules - anyway nothing to see here, continue round the Brussels ring and head south ;)

So for example, the 'current' (meaning check back again as it will no doubt change!) Brussels rules:
http://www.lez.brussels/en/content/my-vehicle

Found this site which has info for other European cities:
http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/userhome/map

A German Umweltplakette is only about 10-15 euro one time only and stays with the verhicle as long the licence plate does not change .
Just get yourself a sticker and enjoy!

Does anyone know if it’s possible to purchase a Umweltplakette over the counter once you arrive in Germany? Thanks

Does anyone know if it’s possible to purchase a Umweltplakette over the counter once you arrive in Germany? Thanks
Yes you can but you will need your vehicle logbook.
Wherever you end up, go to a Tüv or Dekra station and they'll
sell you one.

Back