Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Locked out (almost)!

RichardH

RichardH

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Dear All,

Just back from a scene of camping carnage on Shell Island, north Wales. Saturday's big storm shredded lots of the tents on the site, but the blessed roof on our lovely Cali kept out the wind and rain perfectly.

However for the third time in almost three years I almost found myself locked out. I left the vehicle for a few minutes, closing the side-door behind me and leaving all the doors unlocked. When I returned the side-door handle would not engage - as though it was locked. Fortunately the driver's door had remained unlocked and it opened normally. My wife, who had remained inside was able to open the side-door using the inside handle.

So there was no disaster this time, but I cannot work out what is happening. The push-button side door-lock was not in the locked position. There have been two previous occasions when the side-door has seemed to lock itself without reason. That's only a total of three times in well over two hundred days and nights in the van, but it is worrying. We always try to remember to keep our keys with us at all times, but it's an easy thing to forget at times when the risk of theft is non-existent.

Any ideas?

Best wishes,

Richard

I think if you lock the van by accident with the sliding door open example pushing the door switch in the front down with an elbow get out the van shut the sliding door --- van locks.

I tend to keep a van key on a road around my neck

but if your front doors were unlocked your van was not locked

Back