Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lowering springs

Martin said:
Only 30mm, it took a year to convince the missus just to do that, I told her it will cure travel sickness

Fingers crossed for you Martin that it does cure travel sickness :) :)

In all seriousness - me and the missus test drove a cali on normal springs and 16" wheels and she got travel sick.

We bought one with -30mm lowered springs and 17" wheels and she and the kids have all been fine in it.

Custardtart said:
In all seriousness - me and the missus test drove a cali on normal springs and 16" wheels and she got travel sick.

We bought one with -30mm lowered springs and 17" wheels and she and the kids have all been fine in it.

I've got normal springs and 16" - there's wallow and some pitch when you turn into corners but I've never found it alarming or even that bad. I haven't driven a lowered Cali, I would be interested, to see the difference.

For the roads here, where i live, lower springs could be a nightmare, it's poor roads and speed humps :(

I know the van doesn't like high winds, so again, seeing the difference or if there is a difference in a lowered vehicle would be interesting.

James

I think you pay your money and take your choice - but you can't have it all.

By altering wheels/springs it seems you can move between 'comfy but bouncier' to a 'harder but sharper' ride and we each have to choose what's our best compromise.

I think I've found the best ride compromise for me BUT I love the look of lower profile wheels :headwall

Just had a call from Awsome, seems h&r don't list a specific set for a Cali. Anyone know the axle weights or know which set to fit. All I know is the old girls heavy!!

It was 2600 kg last time it was at the MOT station!

unless you want more than -30mm why not go with the OEM ones, they are well priced.

Locality and timing really. It's in for other work and thought it could be done at the same time.

Else it would be in at smg.

My local Vw vancentre have never failed to disappoint else I may have gone there.

Looking at the Ebiach site, they don't list the Cali either. So which van is rated correctly as a equivalent?

I totally agree with stu .. The Oem eibach springs are tried and tested and recommended and fitted by Vw .. That's if your ok with -30mmish or you after a scrapper ???
Vw price for the spring set is £230 if I remember rightly ..

I know h&r are good as alot of t5 boys use them as I said ,so as long as the load rating is fine then they should be fine fella :)

jerrythegerman said:
Locality and timing really. It's in for other work and thought it could be done at the same time.

Else it would be in at smg.

My local Vw vancentre have never failed to disappoint else I may have gone there.

Looking at the Ebiach site, they don't list the Cali either. So which van is rated correctly as a equivalent?

Eibach UK weren't overly helpful when I tried to find the equivalent part number and finally conceded that they would be cheaper if bought from VW.

If ordered from VW and not in stock already they should be available next day. Awesome will have a TPS account so could get them for you.

They spoke to H&R direct and got them to send the correct set for the axle loadings on the cali.

They are going on in the next day or so now that the gearbox oilcooler is sorted. I'll report back on the results next week when I get it back.

The springs were £209 inc the vat.

Not bothered about it being a axle scrapper, just it was that they are a dealer and was being done at the same time. 10mm is a full onboard tank of water and few tins of beans!!

jerrythegerman said:
They spoke to H&R direct and got them to send the correct set for the axle loadings on the cali.

They are going on in the next day or so now that the gearbox oilcooler is sorted. I'll report back on the results next week when I get it back.

The springs were £209 inc the vat.

Not bothered about it being a axle scrapper, just it was that they are a dealer and was being done at the same time. 10mm is a full onboard tank of water and few tins of beans!!

glad you got some sorted jerry ..I don't think it will be a scrapper with a 40mm drop ,but it will be interesting to see if there's any difference....keep us posted when you have them fitted :thumb

Well got it back and I am impressed.

Not harsh and definitely less roll. Very close ride to our golf gtd but a little smoother. It's on 18's too.

Very impressed so far.

Looks a little lower but not silly. May settle a little more yet.

Had mine done also at the weekend 30 mm plus 18 inch wheels and I am still smiling :laugh2 :laugh2 :laugh2

Very interesting. I've been procrastinating about 18" rims on -30mm springs for a while now.

I'm sure the looks are amazing. Hopefully some photos soon :D

How much difference has it made to the ride?

The difference is amazing no more wallowing round corners it handles more like a car my only regret is i didnt do it sooner. Vw lowering springs and sportline wheels

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347914234.951023.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347914257.802269.jpg

Looks good Kevin. Lowering springs is the best upgrade we've done. No more kids complaining about feeling unwell and much nicer to drive. Can't stretch to bling wheels yet but I have my eye on the Dakar bi which I think will look good with tornado red.

Yes I agree graham the black dakars will look good on your red cali :thumb

I have to say I love the wheels, when I first saw sportlines on Gary's at the New Forest Meet, I wasn't sure. But the more I saw them, the more they look the part. I now think they look fantastic, they suit the Cali so well, yours look absolutely :cool

Somehow makes the silver colour better.

James

Thanks mate I am really happy with the look now I couldn't decide on black or silver sportlines
An looking at them on a silver Cali has confirmed I must have made the right choice :thumb
I have to say looking back at pictures of my Cali last year it did look a bit ordinary :rofl :rofl
I think that's it with the mods for a while :thumb

Calikev said:
Thanks mate I am really happy with the look now I couldn't decide on black or silver sportlines
An looking at them on a silver Cali has confirmed I must have made the right choice :thumb
I have to say looking back at pictures of my Cali last year it did look a bit ordinary :rofl :rofl
I think that's it with the mods for a while :thumb

The black wheel bolts on yours finish it off nicely imo. Pick out the other black details which make a good contrast.

That does look nice. Want mine done now.

Mark

Does anyone have a part number for the Eibach lowering springs that are used by VW (30mm) for California (non DSG, non 4motion).

Also if these get fitted locally (non VW) will it invalidate the warranty?