Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lowering springs

Cheers jay. :thumb
Nice to see a fellow cali owner that is brave enough and likes there van to look and drive how they want it too,,
so much better!!!!!!
All our calis have been on coilovers and after driving one with Coilovers there’s no going back to driving a boat on standard vw commercial springs and shocks,the 30mm springs are ok And do the job but decent coulovers are on another level!!!!!!
You should post pics on the t6 forum a lot of of people on there want the eibach to keep warranties safe but they have been on back order forever!!
... it will go down a storm
Can’t wait for our van to arrive and get the eibachs on

Nice to see a fellow cali owner that is brave enough and likes there van to look and drive how they want it too,,
so much better!!!!!!
All our calis have been on coilovers and after driving one with Coilovers there’s no going back to driving a boat on standard vw commercial springs and shocks,the 30mm springs are ok And do the job but decent coulovers are on another level!!!!!!
You should post pics on the t6 forum a lot of of people on there want the eibach to keep warranties safe but they have been on back order forever!!
... it will go down a storm
Can’t wait for our van to arrive and get the eibachs on
Yes its a different van to drive, however it doesn't look like it sits quite right. Its looking like its lower at the rear which i'm not keen on. It may settle, but there's a guy whos popped up (CMS) who seems to know where i need to measure to check.
I've always had coilovers on my Mk2s, the ride is second to none and well worth the spend.

Yes its a different van to drive, however it doesn't look like it sits quite right. Its looking like its lower at the rear which i'm not keen on. It may settle, but there's a guy whos popped up (CMS) who seems to know where i need to measure to check.
I've always had coilovers on my Mk2s, the ride is second to none and well worth the spend.
I noticed this also... it wants to be slightly higher at the back ,,then when loaded it’s level...
Just a simple adjustment to the adjusters and it’s sorted

I noticed this also... it wants to be slightly higher at the back ,,then when loaded it’s level...
Noted - i wouldn't know where to start! I suppose getting both rear wheels off the ground would be required

Noted - i wouldn't know where to start! I suppose getting both rear wheels off the ground would be required
Very simple it’s an adjustable cup at the back it just needs winding up slightly 5 min job.
Or wind the front down slightly either way to get the correct stance.
This is the benefit of coilovers you can have it how you like

If you check the VW Transporter technical drawings you would notice that the Wheel Centre to Wheel Arch centre distance is greater at the front compared to the rear - by design. If you measure from Floor to Side Body line you will find it is equal Front and Rear.
On full suspension compression the rear wheel can move up into the wheel arch. Similarly on the front But Not on the front if the wheels are Not perfectly straight.
If the suspension is adjusted to give an equal Wheel Centre to Wheel Arch Centre measurement front and rear then the vehicle is in fact nose down.
Many vehicles are constructed with the same differences for the same reason.

Other than not having any impact on warranty, have you a view othe difference between the VW/Eibach kit and the B14s. Out Cali is out of warranty so we will go for one or the other. If the B14s are just as good then we would go that route to save a few ££'s.

Other than not having any impact on warranty, have you a view othe difference between the VW/Eibach kit and the B14s. Out Cali is out of warranty so we will go for one or the other. If the B14s are just as good then we would go that route to save a few ££'s.
If you opt for the B14s then you will save circa £600.
My reasons for eibach are 1. Quality, and 2. warranty.
Reading the reviews on another forum, they do the same job and are just as good in my opinion.
Ill tell you in 20 years time when my sons are ragging it around on the quality aspect!! :D

If you opt for the B14s then you will save circa £600.
My reasons for eibach are 1. Quality, and 2. warranty.
Reading the reviews on another forum, they do the same job and are just as good in my opinion.
Ill tell you in 20 years time when my sons are ragging it around on the quality aspect!! :D
£600 towards new wheels

£600 towards new wheels
I had b14s on our last California regardless of warranty,
There absolutely brilliant the ride quality is so So good not harsh at all ,not bangy the only slight issue with was it was still really low on full upward adjustment
.this is due to the weight of the Cali...
I like it low so it’s not an issue and for weekends away ect it was fine ..
but when we wanted to go of to France snowboarding the van was totally loaded to the hilt dog and all.....
So we took off the 20s and put it back on 17s for the winter tyres my snowchains .
Because of this it looked even lower,
So the eibach are better for a California in that respect .. you can wind it up higher than the b14s I just hope the ride quality is as good ....but from the feedback I have heard from alpen and volkywagon there good.
Here’s a couple of pics on b14s with and without 20s

003CD04E-09E3-4B55-BA30-52CFDE906283.jpeg

62A4F86C-B73A-4AE7-B4FF-882B4626348C.jpeg

E316A026-C716-4D77-B807-E4482A19D263.jpeg

90FB8A1C-E001-45A7-9C12-BBFA9DA868CE.jpeg

Going to the lakes in ours Friday night so will give it a good blast up the M6 see how it fairs up. Seemed spot on coming back from dealers Tuesday.

@westfalia, gazellio would be proud don’t you think :cool::D:D:D

Last edited:
Going to the lakes in ours Friday night so will give it a good blast up the M6 see how it fairs up. Seemed spot on coming back from dealers Tuesday.

Ha Ha.

He wasn't having any of it was he :)
I hope he kicks himself every day for not doing it:D

Great enjoy and let us know how you get on with them good or bad!!!!

By the way what happened to gazillo???
A million posts to nothing???

I had b14s on our last California regardless of warranty,
There absolutely brilliant the ride quality is so So good not harsh at all ,not bangy the only slight issue with was it was still really low on full upward adjustment
.this is due to the weight of the Cali...
I like it low so it’s not an issue and for weekends away ect it was fine ..
but when we wanted to go of to France snowboarding the van was totally loaded to the hilt dog and all.....
So we took off the 20s and put it back on 17s for the winter tyres my snowchains .
Because of this it looked even lower,
So the eibach are better for a California in that respect .. you can wind it up higher than the b14s I just hope the ride quality is as good ....but from the feedback I have heard from alpen and volkywagon there good.
Here’s a couple of pics on b14s with and without 20s

View attachment 52841

View attachment 52842

View attachment 52843

View attachment 52844
Very nice - like the wheels, what are they and size/offset?

Very nice - like the wheels, what are they and size/offset?
There 20x9 cades Thor load rated.
Et45
On 275 35 20 extra loads
They sit perfectly
I sold the van put it. Back to 30mm springs and removed the wheels.
Still have the wheels in storage

17C6968A-8D51-4043-802F-E713DCE184B5.jpeg

E4CF13A2-D594-4A8E-B466-3ACC16E65F56.jpeg

4259B3C6-DF42-411D-903A-6CE937D1560C.jpeg

5C94E95C-787F-451C-A24E-FF12F3D743DE.png

2C6CBDF1-7CB6-48A7-82A4-5F3084DFD1C4.png

I only tend to keep things about 2 years.
Always shop for the best deal when buying so come resale the loss is minimal as possible.
Then a smaller hop to a new van ...
Bought a new big white once all be it a very niche big van a Karmann colorado stunning but a right hassle to jump in and go the Lake District for a few nights and after 2 years of owning lost 14k never again!!!!
Well maybe in retirement

@Volkywagen I've just been quoted £2,123 at my local VW Van Centre or £2,087 by a local campervan conversion company. The price for both is fitted (VW said 3.9 hours of labour).

Is the VW/Eibach coli-over kt that a dealer would supply and fit exactly the same as the ones below?

Coilover kit from the Eibach shop for £1550,
Tunershop in Germany for €1197
Eibach's Amazon shop for £1202.

I have a friendly mechanic who does work on my old Saab - are these difficult to fit??

Hi, Did you blast your VW van centre when obtaining quotes with your cali club discount? I paid £1800 all in for mine, inc supply, fitting, vat and the like and quoted the club for a discount which got me wheel alignment.
The eibach coilover kit you mentioned above is around the same cost, without fitment of main stealer prices.
Also note you have a T5 so i'm unsure if the kit will be exactly the same, more than likely very similar i suspect.
They are easy to fit, if i had access to ramps and was without warranty then me and a mate would have smashed it on a sunday morning with a few bacon butties to hand.
3.9 hrs of labour is correct, however add ACC adjustment another 2 hours if necessary to re calibrate.

You will need to double check that they are the same for a T5
1574351383548.png

@Volkywagen I've just been quoted £2,123 at my local VW Van Centre or £2,087 by a local campervan conversion company. The price for both is fitted (VW said 3.9 hours of labour).

Is the VW/Eibach coli-over kt that a dealer would supply and fit exactly the same as the ones below?

Coilover kit from the Eibach shop for £1550,
Tunershop in Germany for €1197
Eibach's Amazon shop for £1202.

I have a friendly mechanic who does work on my old Saab - are these difficult to fit??
take the model from volkeys picture and ring the dealer ask them for the model number they supply then you can check there both the same?
T5 t5.1 t6 California are all the same your cali and all calis are t30s so they have the cylindrical strut clamps instead of the bolt on t32type
Also not hard to fit about 3.5 hours max with the right tools and a ramp

@Volkywagen Was there an Eiback part number or just a VW part number? Spoke with Eiback and they confirmed they are made to order in Germany and about a 5 week lead time. The reference thay gave me was PSS65-85-013-01-22. Thanks