Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Making a cuppa in a Beach?

Waeco CFX 28, strapped to and behind the front passenger seat unless 7 seats are being used, when it goes in the boot under the narrow multiflex, or if the entire payload area is required when it goes in the bike shed.
Thanks Tom!

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Search for dairystix for half decent milk that can sit in your Cali waiting for their moment to shine.
When we are not in holiday mode, the van always has some dairystix, a few tea bags and a 2L bottle of fresh water in the door pocket.
Collaspeable kettle lives in the sink washing up bowl.

Search for dairystix for half decent milk that can sit in your Cali waiting for their moment to shine.
When we are not in holiday mode, the van always has some dairystix, a few tea bags and a 2L bottle of fresh water in the door pocket.
Collaspeable kettle lives in the sink washing up bowl.
They look good them dairystix. Thanks for the tip

here's my table and fridge. always carry some water and a collapsible kettle and cups with a tin of gas that fits in one of the drawers. good to carry 3 in 1 coffee too.

20180807_160432.jpg

For coffee I use one of these combined with the alpkit:
https://the-oomph.com

A mix between a french press and a Aeropress, but less parts and is it own flask/cup. Seems to give good results from any grind which is good and makes enough for two.

Mine has lasted pretty well but it is starting to show its age after a couple years. Cheap enough not to worry when its time to replace (or you can buy spare parts).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV1xFIEAx2G/?taken-by=campervancookout

Last edited:
We use The Alpkit Brukit, is similar to jetboil but less ££.
https://www.alpkit.com/products/brukit
We use a filter holder and a thermos for making coffe, everything fits in one tray under a three seater beach.
Wow, good find and that is half the price!!! And @MattBW thats Oomph coffee make seems like a great little gadget and i like my gadgets ;-)

It depends:

Days out - Like some others, we usually take an insulated bag containing milk and a freezer block. We also take an insulated jug flask containing hot water. Coffee and various teas are always kept in the van. It's instant and it's simple. We also have a couple of those insulated mugs that fit into the dash top cup holders. They keep the contents hot for ages.

Longer trips or if we haven't bothered to bring the above - We use one of these.
image.png

We always keep a Campingaz 907 cylinder and a kettle as well as all of the hardwear for prepping a meal in a Really Useful Box in the boot. We also carry a Campingaz Super Carena R stove. Just screw it onto the gas bottle and boil the kettle. It's simple, cheap, well made and is mega powerful ("3000watts").

Milk and other foods would usually be contained in either the VW Cool Box or Waeco Dometic CFX 35 fridge/freezer depending of the nature of the trip. Water is normally from a 5litre plastic container from the supermarket.

Mugs, crockery, cutlery and glasses etc are always stowed in one of these between the front seats.
image.jpeg
They are good quality and often available on Ebay for a song so cheap replacement items are usually easily obtainable.

On EHU - Electric kettle

Last edited:
It depends:

Days out - Like some others, we usually take an insulated bag containing milk and a freezer block. We also take an insulated jug flask containing hot water. Coffee and various teas are always kept in the van. It's instant and it's simple. We also have a couple of those insulated mugs that fit into the dash top cup holders. They keep the contents hot for ages.

Longer trips or if we haven't bothered to bring the above - We use one of these.
View attachment 36376

We always keep a Campingaz 907 cylinder and a kettle as well as all of the hardwear for prepping a meal in a Really Useful Box in the boot. We also carry a Campingaz Super Carena R stove. Just screw it onto the gas bottle and boil the kettle. It's simple, cheap, well made and is mega powerful ("3000watts").

Milk and other foods would usually be contained in either the VW Cool Box or Waeco Dometic CFX 35 fridge/freezer depending of the nature of the trip. Water is normally from a 5litre plastic container from the supermarket.

Mugs, crockery, cutlery and glasses etc are always stowed in one of these between the front seats.
View attachment 36377
They are good quality and often available on Ebay for a song so cheap replacement items are usually easily obtainable.

On EHU - Electric kettle
Wow @Borris Now thats whats i call being prepared. They also seem great little options!!! To make a cuppa in a beach seems good fun, there are loads of gadgets and options available, and another good option i suppose is you can also take some of them gadgets on a walk/ hike as well!

Wow @Borris Now thats whats i call being prepared. They also seem great little options!!! To make a cuppa in a beach seems good fun, there are loads of gadgets and options available, and another good option i suppose is you can also take some of them gadgets on a walk/ hike as well!
Yes you can. When ever possible I will cook outside because that's what I have always preferred to do. However, you can also cook inside as long as you ensure that there's sufficient ventilation. We also have exactly the same kit in the boot of our other car so we can always stop and knock up a meal and/or make a cupper where ever we are.

The Campingaz Super Carena R is a very well made little stove that takes up next to no space. I highly recommend them.

The Campingaz Super Carena R is a very well made little stove that takes up next to no space. I highly recommend them.
If you have a 3-seater Beach you can take out one of the three little bench drawers and use the space to store one of those Bistro cartridge cookers.

Jetboil sumo, milk in fridge (waeco cf26), water in 2 litre bottles. Tea bags, cups etc in under seat drawer.

Now a fun race would be me vs an Ocean owner seeing who can make cuppa quickest. I reckon with the jetboil I could stand a chance :)

I reckon a jetboil or alpkit would win over most camping stoves to be honest. Then again with exactly the same amount of water who knows. I feel a video coming on ;)

Not that it matters one bit but the hot water in a thermos jug method is by far the quickest and simplest. It involves no fuss, no set up, no use of Campingaz and no waiting for water to boil. Often we'd even use this method when we went out for picnics in our previous fully equiped SE. By the time you've turned the gas on and filled the kettle, you'd be well into your first cupper.
If we are touring we will usually fill the thermos jug before we leave the campsite. It will stay really hot for hours.

Keep things simple. :thumb

Last edited:
I’m with you @Borris - Inhave a 1.9 litre Stanley thermos that is bullet proof and keeps water hot enough for tea for the whole day if it’s pre heated. When I bold the kettle for our morning cuppa air fill it enough to l have extra water left to pre heat it. I then boil enough to fill it whilst we have our cuppa - and we can then use it for tea all through the day - of even a generic pot based noodle snack in an emergency!

image.jpg

I’m with you @Borris - Inhave a 1.9 litre Stanley thermos that is bullet proof and keeps water hot enough for tea for the whole day if it’s pre heated. When I bold the kettle for our morning cuppa air fill it enough to l have extra water left to pre heat it. I then boil enough to fill it whilst we have our cuppa - and we can then use it for tea all through the day - of even a generic pot based noodle snack in an emergency!

View attachment 36415
A great flask. Bought one from Costco for sea fishing trips and its brilliant.

Not that it matters one bit but the hot water in a thermos jug method is by far the quickest and simplest. It involves no fuss, no set up, no use of Campingaz and no waiting for water to boil. Often we'd even use this method when we went out for picnics in our previous fully equiped SE. By the time you've turned the gas on and filled the kettle you be well into your first cupper.
If we are touring we will usually fill the thermos jug before we leave the campsite. It will stay really hot for hours.

Keep things simple. :thumb

I do that all the time , even in my fully equipped SE ;).
When leaving a site i always fill up a thermos hot water in the sanitairy block.
When on our Norway trip a few years ago i found out that many public toilets have hot running water to wash your hands , came very handy when using free aires to do the dishes ... Always stoped at a public toilet before pitching up for the night for two reasons...:D

On topic , i use a ketlle on the gasstove and a Aeropress in the Cali.

Wow, good find and that is half the price!!! And @MattBW thats Oomph coffee make seems like a great little gadget and i like my gadgets ;-)

Another Alpkit fan here. Stonking little stove, great for cooking baked beans, soup and tinned chilli ;)

Jetboil sumo, milk in fridge (waeco cf26), water in 2 litre bottles. Tea bags, cups etc in under seat drawer.

Now a fun race would be me vs an Ocean owner seeing who can make cuppa quickest. I reckon with the jetboil I could stand a chance :)
Not being arsey, just interested, can you brew up easy enough in the morning with the large downstairs bed setup or do you have to pack the bed up??

Not being arsey, just interested, can you brew up easy enough in the morning with the large downstairs bed setup or do you have to pack the bed up??
Well, the repsonse over making a cuppa has been AMAZING! So its clearly proves its not just oceaners who can "just pull up and make a quick cuppa" so can beach owners easily (and with some quite fine and portable gadgets i might add). Thank you all very much!! TBH, that was my only concern choosing a beach after reading the beach v ocean arguements as i need and love a cupppa after a days driving. In terms of cooking, im quite happy to eat out or get takeaways for eating in the van if raining or cook outside if sunny!

Its little things that matter sometimes!! Thanks again :thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:cheers (lets pretend these are cups of teas in this occasion!) :happy

We've never done it however you could if you really wanted to, at least in our set up. We have our large Waeco Dometic CFX35 fridge/freezer positioned between the bed and the rear of the forward facing passenger seat. It has a large flat surface on top so boiling a kettle and making a brew wouldn't pose that big a problem for those with the same set up. Just ensure the seat back is wound well forward out of harms way!
We always prefer to be up before the first brew however for those that like a cupper in bed the process is obviously a lot easier in an SE/Ocean. The stove and milk are right next to you but more importantly you've got somewhere to plant your mug between slurps.

Back