Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Making a cuppa in a Beach?

Jetboil stays stowed in one of the drawers under the back seat, with tea/coffee/sugar and uht milk sachets...sorted

Reactions: Huw
View attachment 36332
We have a 2 seater beach and keep a small kettle and small gas cooker in the drawer under seat and have a fridge that is left in all the time for milk and a small table that is there all the time too. Tea or coffee any time

Beachybird... where did you buy your small table? Or did you make it? Looks great!

Going off on a slight tangent, if you like all that Ray Mears stuff and going off grid a lot, here is another way of brewing up. No gas required and you can boil water rapidly in all weathers using waste paper, twigs, and just about anything that's lying around.

We have one and use it occasionally although not usually in conjunction with our Cali. It's a great piece of kit for use at the beach etc and costs absolutely nothing to use. It's a rather pleasing primeval cooking source that's blissfully simple, easy to use and very rapid.

Probably best not used whilst everywhere's so dry. In fact it would almost certainly be prohibited in some areas of Europe at present just like charcoal fired BBQs. However, using it at all other times shouldn't be a problem if you take adequate safety precautions e.g don't light near long dry grass or on peaty soil. The fire is contained within the fire base so shouldn't pose much risk at all. You should always poor water on any remaining embers when finished and make sure the site is as you found it when you leave.

Don't use inside your van as it will invalidate your insurance and your van!

One more thing, once lit keep upwind unless you like smelling like a kipper.

Last edited:
One of my mates has a Kelly and absolutely loves it, it’s a great bit of Kit! I’ve wanted one for ages but the Mrs tells me I’ve got too many toys already and I’ve got to sell some others before I’m allowed to buy any more :0(

One of my mates has a Kelly and absolutely loves it, it’s a great bit of Kit! I’ve wanted one for ages but the Mrs tells me I’ve got too many toys already and I’ve got to sell some others before I’m allowed to buy any more :0(
Now that sounds familiar! They just don't realise that us boys must have our toys. :thumb

If we're out for the day we always take a big thermos of boiling water & a small thermos of boiling water, which will allow us to make three lots of tea during the day. Milk keeps perfectly well just in the plastic bottle for a day or even overnight, doesn't need fridge or other cooling device, even in warm weather.
When we're camping, as I like a cup of tea first thing, I'll boil up water & fill the small flask, have a teabag on standby & a jug of milk & mugs, & leave them on the sink top (or Briwy shelf) - in the morning I can just reach down from the upstairs bed, put the teabag in the flask, go back to sleep for a bit while it brews, then reach down & (carefully) pour the tea.

Not being arsey, just interested, can you brew up easy enough in the morning with the large downstairs bed setup or do you have to pack the bed up??
The bed isn't the problem ... it's the two young kids climbing everywhere that puts me off boiling water inside! But yes easy enough to do with the bed up if you want to

I’m with you @Borris - Inhave a 1.9 litre Stanley thermos that is bullet proof and keeps water hot enough for tea for the whole day if it’s pre heated. When I bold the kettle for our morning cuppa air fill it enough to l have extra water left to pre heat it. I then boil enough to fill it whilst we have our cuppa - and we can then use it for tea all through the day - of even a generic pot based noodle snack in an emergency!

View attachment 36415
We use 2 of the smaller Stanley thermos (do you add a s to more than one) and have coffee filter cones and coffee ready measured. Milk in cool box or small longlife tubs. We found that the Stanley thermos is the best for keeping hot. Used it yesterday in preference to service station coffee.

Wolecok Silicone Collapsible Coffee Filter Cone from Amazon

Going off on a slight tangent, if you like all that Ray Mears stuff and going off grid a lot, here is another way of brewing up. No gas required and you can boil water rapidly in all weathers using waste paper, twigs, and just about anything that's lying around.

We have one and use it occasionally although not usually in conjunction with our Cali. It's a great piece of kit for use at the beach etc and costs absolutely nothing to use. It's a rather pleasing primeval cooking source that's blissfully simple, easy to use and very rapid.

Probably best not used whilst everywhere's so dry. In fact it would almost certainly be prohibited in some areas of Europe at present just like charcoal fired BBQs. However, using it at all other times shouldn't be a problem if you take adequate safety precautions e.g don't light near long dry grass or on peaty soil. The fire is contained within the fire base so shouldn't pose much risk at all. You should always poor water on any remaining embers when finished and make sure the site is as you found it when you leave.

Don't use inside your van as it will invalidate your insurance and your van!

One more thing, once lit keep upwind unless you like smelling like a kipper.

Did they film that on Craggy Island...???
;)

Did they film that on Craggy Island...???
;)
I doubt it. That definately wasn't Mrs Doyle making the tea!

Can you imagine her going anywhere near anything that could run on dried camel dung?

Last edited:
Did someone just mention UHT milk? That is the fluid of the devil and not allowed anywhere near our Cali

Did someone just mention UHT milk? That is the fluid of the devil and not allowed anywhere near our Cali
Yes, agree UHT milk is a bit of a hotel room 'cup of tea' taste. Cant beat fresh milk!!

Yes, agree UHT milk is a bit of a hotel room 'cup of tea' taste. Cant beat fresh milk!!
UHT milk from Spain is not like the UHT in the UK it is very good and when it comesdown to it better than gone off fresh. UHT cream from Spain is also a good standby, I have not had UK UHT but I had a fresh double cream last week in the UK which had no flavor and was not thick. Give me clotted cream anytime.

We used this campinggaz this weekend with our beach, although it was outside. Not yet been confined to making an inside brew..will update on what we do when that happens!

We have fresh milk in fridge which is always on. Water in container cold to boil.
24e726b4051d72f34fea0ecba1672f3f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

We used this campinggaz this weekend with our beach, although it was outside. Not yet been confined to making an inside brew..will update on what we do when that happens!

We have fresh milk in fridge which is always on. Water in container cold to boil.

Like a advert for pg tips :)

We went on a wild camping overnighter (the backpacking kind, on foot :eek:) last weekend in the Lake District and were all issued with a Jetboil stove to cook our lunch / dinner / breakfast + hot drinks with.

Amazed by it, so bought a Jetboil MiniMo on Monday which boils enough water for two cuppas incredibly quickly & also simmers better than some of the “rapid boil only” variants. Only fried some sausages so far, but worked like a charm.

Being a pyromaniac at heart we already have a conventional two-ring cartridge gas stove, a rocket stove and BioLite Campstove to choose from, but the Jetboil is far the fastest & lightest and will now likely get the most use.

There are so many fantastic gadgets around today that we are spoilt for choice. The trouble is there's always the temptation to buy them. After a while you end up with too much stuff, much of which isn't used a lot.

I think if it were always going to be just my wife and I, one of these Jetboil jobs would be ideal. It's very compact and sounds highly efficient. Maybe one day.

I have an SE but I don't have the fridge on all the time. I DO keep several 500ml cartons of UHT milk in the van at all times since I discovered that if you get the skimmed milk version, it doesn't have that odd 'preserved' taste.

Where was the photo taken?

Back