Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Making a cuppa in a Beach?

Decided to make myself a side shelf for the table rail in my beach using an off cut from my kitchen pod project. As it isn’t possible to get the table attachment brackets from Vw during the Coronavirus lockdown I’ve made my own using some M6 coach bolts, by grinding and filling off one side of the head of the bolt. The shelf is made from light weight furniture plywood using knock on T-Trim. By drilling a 5mm hole in the ply it is possible to just screw the bolt into the wood as it acts like a self tapping screw. Once fitted the shelf is self supporting and doesn’t require any legs or brackets. Obviously it wouldn’t be wise to put heavy objects on it, but is perfect for drinks, phones, iPad etc.View attachment 58149View attachment 58150

View attachment 58151

View attachment 58152

View attachment 58153

View attachment 58154

View attachment 58155

View attachment 58156
That's great work.

Dear Cali Gurus,

One thing i have noticed with the Ocean or Beach threads is Ocean owners usually say, "well nothing beats pulling over and making a nice cuppa!" which is a fair point as most people like a cuppa after along drive.

So my question is, how to you beach owners make a nice cuppa, what equipment do you use and where do you store it all?
For days out we take our Cadac Safari Chef 2, great compact stove in its own carry case, can also rustle up a bacon sandwich on it as well !
i have a video review here :
Cadac Safari chef review

JT

As you can see we have an Ocean, however very occasionally we take along our trusty 30 yr old Trangia set with the gas burner upgrade. Ideal for an al fresco brew up or a bacon sandwich etc. (Saves stinking the Cali out). Quick and efficient even in windy conditions and stacks away in Trangia bag. Uses the c500 self sealing cartridges. Brilliant classic design.

We have a Beach it is always packed ready to go.so small cooker, Fridge, cups, plates, tea, coffee are always in and stored in the big draw under seat.
We have a custom made small table which stays up all the he time so rain or sunshine we can stop anytime and make tea or cook.

878251E6-4740-4A98-962E-66A227AB6CDA.jpeg

Here's my setup, the fridge between the front seats looks after the fresh milk and chocolate! The gas stove, fits in one of the rear-bench-seat drawers......

View attachment 36579
Hi. This looks amazing. Which make and model of fridge? I was thinking that gap was wasted space! I presume you have to move it out of the way to swivel the seat?

When I originally bought the Alpkit Brukit it failed three times and I got a new sent out (leaking gas, melted). When I finally got a replacement unit that worked it has been working fine for 6 years. Now the piezo lighter does not work anymore so I decided to buy a new. I went with a Jetboil Flash this time, UK pricing have made the alpkit nearer in price.

When I originally bought the Alpkit Brukit it failed three times and I got a new sent out (leaking gas, melted). When I finally got a replacement unit that worked it has been working fine for 6 years. Now the piezo lighter does not work anymore so I decided to buy a new. I went with a Jetboil Flash this time, UK pricing have made the alpkit nearer in price.
I have a very old Jetboil and the piezo failed pretty early on. I wouldn’t rely on it to light so I use a lighter or fire steel. I also have a MSR windburner amongst my collection of back packing stoves. The prices of these stoves is eye watering these days but I’d place the MSR above my Jetboil.

I have a very old Jetboil and the piezo failed pretty early on. I wouldn’t rely on it to light so I use a lighter or fire steel. I also have a MSR windburner amongst my collection of back packing stoves. The prices of these stoves is eye watering these days but I’d place the MSR above my Jetboil.
Personally, I would be worried about knocking the jetboil over. I use an MSR Lowdown remote with a Soto Windmaster. Likewise, I have several backpacking stoves but I find this combo compact and importantly quite stable.

The MSR has no Piezo lighter and is even more than a jetboil. The Alpkit Piezo has beeing working for 6 years so I hope the Jetboil will be at least as good.

The MSR has no Piezo lighter and is even more than a jetboil. The Alpkit Piezo has beeing working for 6 years so I hope the Jetboil will be at least as good.
All piezos fail but it sounds like yours is doing just fine. The Jetboil ones seem particularly rubbish.

All piezos fail but it sounds like yours is doing just fine. The Jetboil ones seem particularly rubbish.
I keep one of these in the van. You can get an adapter to refill from gas canisters. It’s really useful to have and I can recommend as a backup.

I keep one of these in the van. You can get an adapter to refill from gas canisters. It’s really useful to have and I can recommend as a backup.

Cheers. I was looking into some form of back up and the unbranded USB ones worry me somewhat. I prefer to go with branded stuff but Amazon etc is awash with stuff of unknown origin.

Cheers. I was looking into some form of back up and the unbranded USB ones worry me somewhat. I prefer to go with branded stuff but Amazon etc is awash with stuff of unknown origin.
This is the adapter. Prices on that site seem really cheap. I bought mine from Amazon Japan!

Back