Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Maximum power for dash cigarette lighter and rear boot 12v socket

greenfintry

greenfintry

Cometh the van cometh the hour
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Anyone able to advise on the power draw allowed by these two fuses? Want to use a portable bike spray unit and 30w LED light. Thanks

I'm pretty sure 10A is the usual current rating for the sockets, so 120W... (total for the three in the rear OR the one in the front)

Last edited:
The sockets are rated to 20 amps, But fused to 15 amps.
You're right, the sockets are marked 20A, fused at 15.

My supplement manual on page 47 states 120W max, not to be exceeded - just a safety factor maybe?

Is it safe to replace the 15 amp fuse for the 20 amp socket with a 20 amp fuse? That would give it excess of 200 watts.

Is it safe to replace the 15 amp fuse for the 20 amp socket with a 20 amp fuse? That would give it excess of 200 watts.
I’m not sure what the wiring is rated at.

I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't know what gauge the wiring is or the way the wires connect to the sockets, but if there was any way for VW, or your insurers, to wriggle out of any mishaps, then I'd stick to the manuals statements of 120W max

It seems a bit odd to label a socket as "20 amp max" if the max is really 15 amps (180 watts) or even 10 amps (120 watts).
Not really. Many electrical items/components may be rated far higher than the circumstances in which they are used.
It is probably safer using a higher rated component than a specifically rated component.

Agree about the use of high rated items, but still misleading to label it so obviously, giving the impression of 20A then blowing your fuse!

Agree about the use of high rated items, but still misleading to label it so obviously, giving the impression of 20A then blowing your fuse!
You'll only do it once.:thumb

Back