Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Maxxcamp Variomodule Compact

So much space used just for having water inside.

So much space used just for having water inside.
This is in fact one of the smallest pods for the beach yet very efficient space usage.
There are three drawers to store cuttlery, pans and plates and drinking glasses. I think they're the perfect dimension. The bottom right can hold two bottles of wine, next to the large(!) water tanks. It's the only pod that has a 19l fresh water tank (which for a family of 5 is a huge plus). There's battery monitoring, extra 12v and 230v sockets, usb charging, and it's so light it can be taken out of the van. And it's probably the only pod which can be left installed with all 7 seats in place (which means no garbage in our small garage when the beach is just a commute car).

It depends on how you camp of course. We don't do campsites all the time.. my favorite holidays are in cold and windy climates (iceland, norway) where sitting and cooking inside is sometimes a must. Living space is limited, and with unit on the side, very little is lost.

I'm told the sizes are 74x40.5x70.5, I started to build my own pod then gave up. Still waiting to see what slidepod comes up with for an internal pod. Hope it suits what I want, if not time to save up for maxxcamp. Hope this helps you zeratul.

I'm told the sizes are 74x40.5x70.5, I started to build my own pod then gave up. Still waiting to see what slidepod comes up with for an internal pod. Hope it suits what I want, if not time to save up for maxxcamp. Hope this helps you zeratul.
Yes it does, thank you.
Is that 74 width and 70.5 height or the other way around?

I'm also waiting for slidepod, but summer is coming and I need to decide: extend ikea alex, inslidepod, make a new one from scratch, or maxxcamp compact (delivery time 6-8weeks, ouch).

Nice POD, but
This is in fact one of the smallest pods for the beach yet very efficient space usage.
There are three drawers to store cuttlery, pans and plates and drinking glasses. I think they're the perfect dimension. The bottom right can hold two bottles of wine, next to the large(!) water tanks. It's the only pod that has a 19l fresh water tank (which for a family of 5 is a huge plus). There's battery monitoring, extra 12v and 230v sockets, usb charging, and it's so light it can be taken out of the van. And it's probably the only pod which can be left installed with all 7 seats in place (which means no garbage in our small garage when the beach is just a commute car).

It depends on how you camp of course. We don't do campsites all the time.. my favorite holidays are in cold and windy climates (iceland, norway) where sitting and cooking inside is sometimes a must. Living space is limited, and with unit on the side, very little is lost.

Sorry zeratul, but I fail to see how you can use this in the seven seat mode. It's so big you can only use two seats on the three seat bench unless using a baby seat and then you can can only fit in one removable seat making the Cali a five seater. On top of that you can't put down the downstairs bed.

I looked at the Maxxcamp units and decided it was better to make my own - I posted my correspondence with Maxxcamp on here. Owen also came to the same conclusion and made great POD.

Look at mine I made it for less than 500 euros and can still carry and sleep 4 (or 5 if I hadn't sold my spare seat!). https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/beach-side-pod-2-seater-bench.13146/#post-133615

The Slidepods look great for a day van or short trips, but I would miss that boot space and where would the Porta Potti go? Also to use the Slidepods you need to stop and open the tailgate - not always possible in a small space at the beach and not fun in wet/windy conditions. I'm about to get my pod gas certified in NZ, so I know both water and gas systems/capacity meets regulations; the small cartridge based stoves seem to be a way around the regulations.

Andy

Last edited:
I have an IKEA Alex, it's 36cm wide, 59cm deep and it works in 7 seater mode. (Even can put up the table in that mode, then it does require the multiflex board to be removed).

Pretty sure this one (turned as in bed mode) can be used with the multiflex board in as well with the latter part bent down which is comparable in size to the width of the Compact.

Anyway, I'm sticking with Ikea for now, mainly because I'm waiting for inslide pod and I cannot cope with Maxxcamp's 8 week delivery time and very expensive shipping costs.

I really like the pod you've made, but you're in a 2seater beach, it's quite different in bed size and you have a lot more room on the side.

I believe the three seater bench is shorter and my original idea of building a pod to sit behind the drivers seat (RHD) would have worked and Maxxcamp do a pod to sit 'awartships' (sideways), but it would not suit the two seat configuration with the longer bed.

I had actually sketched out a 'sideways' pod and bought the components to build that and changed my mind when I saw Owen's POD and realised the 2 seater bench is longer and it would be a real squeeze. I decided to ditch the standard cupboard and build something that included a sink, hob and made fitting a fridge safe and secure.

A real advantage is that the fridge acts as a barrier and the left hand rear passenger has something solid next to them rather than empty space.

Andy

Have had my California now for over5 years
What a great van and I have to say the Max camp pod was well worth the money
I thought it was very expensive but then so was the California
And it still looks very smart

Have had my California now for over5 years
What a great van and I have to say the Max camp pod was well worth the money
I thought it was very expensive but then so was the California
And it still looks very smart
Do you turn it 90degrees whenever you make the bed or just leave it in place?