Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

After ordering in late Feb we took delivery of our Marco Polo (V220 automatic) last week :thumb and have been enjoying it for daily commuting and a weekend away in Cantabria (2 adults, 2 kids and a scruffy dog). So far, we couldn't be happier. The only issue was a missing fuse for the water pump, but I wonder if that is somehow deliberate (I was told of one other like it) because it would be easy on first use while exploring the kitchen to leave the tap in an open position and if there is no water there's the danger of damaging the pump by running it 'dry'. Anyway, 1.90 euros for a pack of 10 various fuses and the problem was solved.

Some first impressions:

For me the standout features so far are the smooth handling and uncanny quietness even at speed, and the spaciousness of the interior. I'm told that even with a bench seat fitted there is enough room for the lower bed to extend fully, and with the rear seats in the position shown in the photo it is a stretch to reach the table from the front seats.

The kitchen storage is well thought out with a variety of shapes and sizes, all accessible even with the table out. Three pull out to give access to their contents while the other one slides. All the drawers/cupboards/flip-up surfaces have a very robust feel with a positive closing action -- no chance of them opening on a journey.

The lower bed is quite firm (which I like) and is plenty wide enough for two adults, measuring 1.10 for much of its length (a little less at the tailgate and the other end). I'm 1.80 and didn't feel cramped. A nice feature is the way the side supports of the rear seats disinflate, making the bed very flat (we didn't use a topper). These reinflate on raising the seats to their normal position, giving more comfort during the trip.

The front seats can be rotated without leaving the camper or opening the doors due to the absence of a manual handbrake.

There are 4 USB charging points including one in the roof area, and numerous dimmable LEDs.

The 'intelligent' LED lighting system is working well. At night above a certain speed the lights switch to full beam but automatically dip as soon as they detect an oncoming vehicle. They do this much faster than I could do it manually.

We had the 360 degree camera option fitted (actually 4 cameras, front, rear and one in each wing mirror whose outputs are assembled to produce a bird's eye view of the vehicle; essentially, an image of the vehicle is imposed on the assembled real-time view), which helps enormously with parking. Then there is the automatic parking system that is scary to use the first few times. When travelling under a certain speed it is on the lookout for suitable parking spots, either parallel or at 90 degrees, and indicates when one is found. On selecting reverse and pressing OK you take your hands off the steering wheel and it reverses into the space itself at quite a speed....

I'm also keeping an eye on the fuel economy. Its too early to say after only 750 km but it is indicating between 6 to 7 litres/100km on my 15km commute which is half in the city and half out. I've a long motorway trip later this week so I'll have a better idea then.

Meanwhile, here's a shot of the interior after having spent a couple of hours fitting the seat covers (BTW its a G & T, not vodka :happy )

Merce.jpeg

Let me know if you'd like anything measured or photographed.

cheers

Martin

Hi Martin,
Very useful for me thank you!
Can you provide information about adding a bench seat? The dealer said we don't have this as an option but looking on eBay Germany I can see 2 seat v class benches which look like they would fit in just fine....

Hi Adam

All I know is that it is best to pre-fit the seat clamps in the two rails. We asked the dealer to register it as a 6-seater in case we wanted to add a bench seat and when we came to pick it up they'd fitted these seat brackets for us. We were given a weird device to slide them along the rails so as not to interfere with the rear seat's forward travel. We were also told the bench seat can be placed looking forward or back and as I said above, that the bed still opens... The downside is that it weighs around 75kg I believe.

Martin

To be fair, I hope that VW use the opportunity of some healthy competition in what has been a monopoly, to improve and not rely purely on that monopoly position and the "brand" alone.

Hi Adam

All I know is that it is best to pre-fit the seat clamps in the two rails. We asked the dealer to register it as a 6-seater in case we wanted to add a bench seat and when we came to pick it up they'd fitted these seat brackets for us. We were given a weird device to slide them along the rails so as not to interfere with the rear seat's forward travel. We were also told the bench seat can be placed looking forward or back and as I said above, that the bed still opens... The downside is that it weighs around 75kg I believe.

Martin
I am interested in sourcing an additional bench seat for my Ocean, mind you i would hope it would weigh somewhat less than 75 kg.
Although the T4 Westfalia did offer this option I cannot find any available for the current T5/T6 SE/Ocean models. I presume the people who produce rock and roll beds for conversions could knock me one out but it would have to be tested/belted to satisfy both the insurance and myself.

two on eBay
Unfortunately the ones on offer are either the double passenger seat off a van, a version of the California rear seat/bed already fitted in the van (much to heavy to lift in or out) or of a type that use the floor fixings present in kombi/shuttles etc.
I just need a simple/light none adjustable double seat with built in belts and if possible isofix points to take my son, daughter-in-law and two babies out in one car. It also must fit in the existing seat guide rails.
I understand it is a big ask but as Mercedes have shown above there must be a market for such a seat.

To be fair, I hope that VW use the opportunity of some healthy competition in what has been a monopoly, to improve and not rely purely on that monopoly position and the "brand" alone.

Yes me too.
There are a lot of things that could be improved with the California.

One thing I do like about the Mercedes is its rarity. I`m tired of seeing so many Converted Transporters around. I would love to be in something different from the crowd.
I shall be keeping a close eye on the Mercedes and needless to say will try and have a look at one, once I get the opportunity.

Unfortunately the ones on offer are either the double passenger seat off a van, a version of the California rear seat/bed already fitted in the van (much to heavy to lift in or out) or of a type that use the floor fixings present in kombi/shuttles etc.
I just need a simple/light none adjustable double seat with built in belts and if possible isofix points to take my son, daughter-in-law and two babies out in one car. It also must fit in the existing seat guide rails.
I understand it is a big ask but as Mercedes have shown above there must be a market for such a seat.

It sounds like you need a Beach!!

Except in the UK where it isn't an option... only adding the single seats are
I personally wouldn't trust a non-standard spec (e.g. rock and roll bed ) to transport my children

Hi Adam

Martin

Thank you! I think one of our caravelle singles with the draw full of stuff is over 75kg so I'm not too worried, just might take some bargaining with the dealer here to see if we can force it as an option!

Out of interest, what heater system did you go for? We are a bit confused about the two available options (water and air) but it seems the water one only runs for 60mins which doesn't sound ideal

We're going to have the air heater fitted this autumn (about half the price of having it factory fitted, same model). The water heater doesn't seem to be recommended on the Spanish forums at least.

Something else to be aware of is that there are two air conditioning systems to choose from, Tempmatic and Thermotronic. Only the latter provides true AC at the rear. We have the Tempmatic and slightly regretted it yesterday in temps of approaching 40C. There is an air circulation mechanism at the rear which has an intake at the back (lower left, near where the gas bottle is stored) and pushes out air under the fridge, but this isn't cooled (it is more for warming up the back in cold weather). The solution is to push the rear seats forward where they benefit from the cooled air which is emitted from a large vent in the slightly raised space between the front seats.

Another data point from yesterday: we managed 7.2 l/100km, just over 39 mpg, on a long (~900km) motorway journey at a more or less constant 120 km/h (~75 mph) fully loaded, using the eco setting and cruise control. I remember the days when 40 mpg was a good rate for a car so it is impressive that nearly 2.5 tonnes can be shifted from one end of Spain to the other on a full tank of diesel.

More impressions: the cruise control will take some getting use to as it is on a stick just below the indicator stick, and the default action of pushing it upwards is to add 10km/h, not necessarily what you want to do when indicating right...; the whole Audio 20 USB system (which in spite of the name is not just for audio) seems over-complicated to use (a triumph of style over substance). I'm coming from an 11 year old Renault Scenic and it was a lot simpler to accomplish the same tasks. I'm finding the 360 degree camera invaluable for getting into tight parking spaces between concrete pillars that wouldn't show up with just the rear camera. We have a lot of underground parkings over here and the MP fits into them and also has a much tighter turning circle than a car which helps a lot. I guess the same is true of the T5/6.

Martin

We're going to have the air heater fitted this autumn (about half the price of having it factory fitted, same model). The water heater doesn't seem to be recommended on the Spanish forums at least.

Something else to be aware of is that there are two air conditioning systems to choose from, Tempmatic and Thermotronic. Only the latter provides true AC at the rear. We have the Tempmatic and slightly regretted it yesterday in temps of approaching 40C.

Martin

This is all really helpful thank you! Can I ask where you are getting the air heater fitted? Does it all get integrated with the existing controls and ducting? Its a £2.5k option here so happy to hear about it being cheaper!!

The UK base spec is actually very high, so we get thermatic as standard, but the options are limited really!

Capture.PNG

I've just had an Eberspacher to my van, fitted under the van, hot air ducted into the back. Looking forward to using it. It was the cost of it as an option that encouraged me to convert a van.

A Marco Polo has just pulled on to this weekends site. Might be bold and go over and see if I can a shuftie. I'm guessing that their English is better than my German. But before I go is there an international hand gesture for "pile of poop" and "lovely jubbly" ? Answer on a postcard. :)

Something else to be aware of is that there are two air conditioning systems to choose from, Tempmatic and Thermotronic. Only the latter provides true AC at the rear. We have the Tempmatic and slightly regretted it yesterday in temps of approaching 40C. There is an air circulation mechanism at the rear which has an intake at the back (lower left, near where the gas bottle is stored) and pushes out air under the fridge, but this isn't cooled (it is more for warming up the back in cold weather). The solution is to push the rear seats forward where they benefit from the cooled air which is emitted from a large vent in the slightly raised space between the front seats.

Another data point from yesterday: we managed 7.2 l/100km, just over 39 mpg, on a long (~900km) motorway journey at a more or less constant 120 km/h (~75 mph) fully loaded, using the eco setting and cruise control. I remember the days when 40 mpg was a good rate for a car so it is impressive that nearly 2.5 tonnes can be shifted from one end of Spain to the other on a full tank of diesel.

More impressions: the cruise control will take some getting use to as it is on a stick just below the indicator stick, and the default action of pushing it upwards is to add 10km/h, not necessarily what you want to do when indicating right...; the whole Audio 20 USB system (which in spite of the name is not just for audio) seems over-complicated to use (a triumph of style over substance). I'm coming from an 11 year old Renault Scenic and it was a lot simpler to accomplish the same tasks. I'm finding the 360 degree camera invaluable for getting into tight parking spaces between concrete pillars that wouldn't show up with just the rear camera. We have a lot of underground parkings over here and the MP fits into them and also has a much tighter turning circle than a car which helps a lot. I guess the same is true of the T5/6.

Martin
The " Water Heater " if I am correct is for heating the Engine Coolant. It is automatic, starts with the engine if ambient temperature is below 5c and runs until engine temperature is about 80c. Helps with warming up the engine quickly so the internal heating system is active sooner. It does use a lot of electrical power so that is why it runs with the engine. You can modify it to heat the vehicle without the engine BUT it will still heat the engine coolant, consume a lot of battery power and you have to have the Climatronic AirCon system for it to be able to heat inside. Using it for too long will flatten the Engine Battery.

The " Air Heater " heats the inside of the vehicle and is independent of the engine or ignition and can be used whilst parked or even when driving. It uses the Leisure Battery.

The " Water Heater " if I am correct is for heating the Engine Coolant. It is automatic, starts with the engine if ambient temperature is below 5c and runs until engine temperature is about 80c. Helps with warming up the engine quickly so the internal heating system is active sooner. It does use a lot of electrical power so that is why it runs with the engine. You can modify it to heat the vehicle without the engine BUT it will still heat the engine coolant, consume a lot of battery power and you have to have the Climatronic AirCon system for it to be able to heat inside. Using it for too long will flatten the Engine Battery.

The " Air Heater " heats the inside of the vehicle and is independent of the engine or ignition and can be used whilst parked or even when driving. It uses the Leisure Battery.

On the water heater, the user manual says:

"The hot water auxiliary heater complements the climate control system and has a heater boost function, an auxiliary heating function and an auxiliary ventilation function. In addition, the auxiliary heating system heats the engine coolant to preserve the engine and save fuel during the warm up process.

The auxiliary heating heats the air in the vehicle interior to the set temperature. This occurs without using the heat of the running engine... The auxiliary heating is operated directly using the vehicle's fuel."

And similarly on the air heater:

"The auxiliary heating heats the air in the vehicle interior to the set temperature. This occurs without using the heat of the running engine... The auxiliary heating is operated directly using the vehicle's fuel."

[my italics]

The key difference between them in terms of use is that the water based system shuts off automatically after 50 minutes while the air based system shuts after the set heating time has elapsed.

This information is in the downloadable guides.

This is all really helpful thank you! Can I ask where you are getting the air heater fitted? Does it all get integrated with the existing controls and ducting? Its a £2.5k option here so happy to hear about it being cheaper!!

The UK base spec is actually very high, so we get thermatic as standard, but the options are limited really!

View attachment 23049

Not fixed yet, but we'll probably have it fitted at a workshop here in the Basque Country that has decades of experience in fitting these things to camper vans (lots of info on the Spanish forum furgovw.org). We're currently looking at the Eberspacher D2 model (which I believe is what would come factory-fitted from Mercedes) along with the remote control, the latter simply for the convenience of preheating the camper on a cold morning from inside the house before going to work. There are much cheaper control options, including 7-day timers.

There's a guy here who's had the D2 heater fitted as well as a 100w solar panel system for a total of 2000 euros all in, so doing it this way is like getting a solar installation for free and still saving some.

The only downside I've heard about of not having it factory installed is that it doesn't get integrated with the central control console. However, as I understand it, the rest of the installation is pretty standard i.e. it fits in the space under the driver's seat (on the left for me, not sure what it would be like in the UK).

Martin

I went to see a MP today and agree with the comments above from those who have seen them in the flesh. Very disappointing. The only points I can think to mention in addition to the specific things that have already been said are:

- the rear top storage (I'm not sure what that is called, the part that flips down at the back on top) is *also* noticeably smaller somehow than in the VW...it seems very flat as if when you lowered it, anything in there would slide out.

-The van seemed darker inside, not light and airy with good visibility. I'd be interested to know whether the windows are smaller. Maybe it's the black frosting that appears to be designed to help with the blinds (although it's pretty obvious the blinds would let in a lot more light than in the Cali, even with the black frosting).

-I don't think there's any way to close off the upstairs from the downstairs the way you can in the Cali (e.g., to reduce noise transmission). At least there wasn't on the one I was looking at, it just remains an open space.

-The 'teak style' flooring is awful, it looks like cheap laminate.

- the faucet has a more obviously plastic feel to it than the Cali

We test drove the MP today, the 250 sport and for us it was perfect although the 250 is unnecessary.
Remember though we're looking about 65% car 35% camper so not an all out camper we're just going to use for the weekend.

Compared to our T5 it was a whole different beast very much a van vs car I'm certainly not adverse to a van but when we're dropping he best part of £60k the little luxuries and the higher standard spec the MP offers over the Ocean are enough to convert us I think.

The 220 seems plenty powerful for us. We've been through a few mountain passes in Cantabria which reach up to around 1500m without feeling the need for more. On the car vs van thing, to me it seems like a big luxury taxi. I still can't get over how quiet it is. At low speeds it glides along like an electric vehicle and there isn't much more noise at motorway speeds. As highroad says above, there isn't a way to close off the upstairs, but if you're referring to reducing noise 'on the go' then it really isn't necessary. Providing some acoustic insulation against noisy kids is another matter....

Just to follow up on something in my earlier post, I was rooting through the things that came with the car and lo and behold discovered an envelope containing a fuse and a note to the effect that the fuse for the water pump is indeed supplied separately to avoid damage when the tank is empty. Nice to know that the missing fuse wasn't an oversight!

Back