Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

An update after 3400km, made up of a real mix of daily driving, A-roads, motorways and even some not so sensible dozen or so km on dusty, bumpy tracks in search of dark skies to pursue my astronomy obsession....

jaspinater.jpg

After 4 nights sleeping in the lower bed I can confirm my initial impression that the bed is perfectly flat and quite firm without a topper (which works well for me). The roll-down blinds don't entirely cover the windows, which at first seems odd, but the windows (which are tinted as standard here) have a thick dark (actually opaque) tint around the edge so in fact there is almost no light ingress. I guess the camper (or underlying vehicle) is designed for sunny climes. I've been happily working in the back of the van when parked up in full sun with the door and kitchen window open in temperatures of 35C and can attest to the practicality and effectiveness of the tinted windows over here at least! The front part is covered by curtains which are affixed with suckers to the side windows and elastic that stretches over the sun visors. I find it a bit of a pain fixing the front curtain so my plan is to hang curtain wire from some pre-existing convenient supports where the roof bed reaches the cab, and install some normal drawable curtains at that point (essentially just behind the front seats).

The opening rear window is a very worthwhile option as it allows the boot space to be divided into two and means the amount of ventilation can be controlled (either opening the entire tailgate or just the window). It keeps all the stuff below the lower bed out of sight and is just a lot more flexible all round. It can be opened remotely with the key fob, so on waking up in the morning it is a cinch to enjoy the fresh air and a view.

The kitchen area is split into 3 separately raisable worktops which leads to lots of options for food preparation. The sink is quite small but adequate for washing up. The burners are powerful and can brew up coffee on the lowest setting in a minute or so.

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 23.06.15.png

The floor is like a very hard lino and being completely smooth is easy to keep clean (esp. with a dog). The downside for the dog is that is it hard for the poor mutt to get any purchase... It is possible for those that don't like the yacht-effect flooring to specify a Cali-like grey textured floor, with a commensurate reduction in cost. We looked at one but it does show the dirt immediately you step on it and seems like more of a hassle to clean (being textured).

Another point raised above is the rear top storage. Actually, it is quite large and stuff doesn't fall out. I don't know how it compares to a Cali but for storing all the sheets and towels it is more than adequate. Actually, the amount of storage in general seems excessive to me. We have trouble filling it all.

Re the air-con issues that I mentioned in an earlier post, it turns out that the default in the Marco Polo is to have just circulating air in the rear part. It is important to switch this off on a hot day (it defaults to on at the start of each trip). On a really hot day, moving the rear bench forward a bit allows rear passengers to take advantage of the strong cooled airflow from the large vent between, and to the rear of, the front seats.

The engine is settling in nicely and we managed an average of 42 mpg at a steady 75 mph over a 950 km distance yesterday, fully loaded. The best we've had so far on a 92 km trip on a combination of fairly empty/flat A-roads plus driving through the centre of a major city (Jerez) was just over 54 mpg, quite surprising to me. These figures, along with the easy of handling, I think make the Marco Polo worth considering for anyone wanting both a daily driver and a camper van.

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 23.46.37.png

Maybe we got lucky, but the only failing so far has been the white plastic filler piece in one of the USB ports that has snapped off...

One thing that takes some getting used to is lowering the roof. Raising it is a matter of releasing a couple of catches and within 2 seconds it is up via a gentle push. But lowering it involves pushing at a point helpfully marked 'PUSH' in a large font, the purpose of which is to re-align the tubes on the RHS (just visible in this shot) which act as a 'stop' when the roof is up. Pushing has to be just right; too much and the tubes won't telescopically collapse one within the other.

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 23.06.55.png

Talking of the roof, at first we couldn't work out why it looks so dark outside and yet so light inside, but it turns out to be a two layer affair.

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 23.42.38.png

Just to end: the dealers (Gazpi in Pamplona) couldn't have been more helpful throughout and if anyone is in the position of wanting to buy over here I can't recommend them enough.

Martin

We are at Tristram Polzeath campsite 1st time in 11 years. It's great to be back.

A Marc polo was camped opposite us . He has had 2 months, the first in the UK.
He is member of a large car dealer family in Scotland which own VW,Mercedes dealers etc.

He allowed us to have a good look round. We did seriously consider a Marc polo when the problems with the Cali roof were emerging ,but with the delay in Marc Polo introduction in Uk ,we looked again at the Cali.
So happy with our decision, He had a dark floor & cream leather which looked old fashioned. In fact the leather was already looking a bit dirty. Not a great colour. Like our alcantara seats (know its not not true leather),have split coffee on it this morning ,easily removed . Did treat seats x2 . Also have dogs,throw vet bed on rear seat when camping( its waterproof).

Still don't like the chair/table in the boot space.

He tried to say good value at £65,000. He was surprised with ours ,which we bought for £49,500 with 5 year warranty,service plan etc. Admittedly its a 150 DSG,but we have not noticed a lack of power.

The MC dash is very futuristic but I prefer our dash .

He is a keen surfer & admitted would probably go back to a van with conversion because its too precious to throw his surf stuff in.

Off for a walk to Rock to catch the ferry to Padstow .

We love our Cali . There is great looking split screen VW in the campsite.
So happy with our decision. It was great to compare the MC & Cali.

Last edited:
54 mpg Suggest you contact Mercedes as you have exceeded any consumption figure they achieved. Do not go by the dash figure as Merc also lie.
Still prefer the California as a true dual purpose vehicle.

My other car is a 4 year old ML320 and in those 4 years has never been in for any work at all apart from servicing. I have lost count of the amount of times my Cali has been back to dealer. Also their customer service is in a different world to VW where you are treated like a human being , when the car goes in for a service I don't have to fight for a courtesy car. As for lying , I think you will find VW are number one in the charts on that score.

I love my Cali and would not change it even though they treat me like s##t, let's stop all this bashing of the MP, it is great we have an alternative.

Sure, the figure may be an underestimate. It may not be typical either, but for example this morning on my commute of 15 km which is on single carriageway for the first 10 km then 5 km in a city with the usual stop-start it gave a figure of 5.7l/100 = 49.6mpg. At some point I'll check the true figure and work out a multiplier. Its worth knowing that the roads over here are far less busy in general so it is easier to maintain a constant speed (apart from in the city), and that really helps consumption of course.

An update after 3400km, made up of a real mix of daily driving, A-roads, motorways and even some not so sensible dozen or so km on dusty, bumpy tracks in search of dark skies to pursue my astronomy obsession....

View attachment 23329

After 4 nights sleeping in the lower bed I can confirm my initial impression that the bed is perfectly flat and quite firm without a topper (which works well for me). The roll-down blinds don't entirely cover the windows, which at first seems odd, but the windows (which are tinted as standard here) have a thick dark (actually opaque) tint around the edge so in fact there is almost no light ingress. I guess the camper (or underlying vehicle) is designed for sunny climes. I've been happily working in the back of the van when parked up in full sun with the door and kitchen window open in temperatures of 35C and can attest to the practicality and effectiveness of the tinted windows over here at least! The front part is covered by curtains which are affixed with suckers to the side windows and elastic that stretches over the sun visors. I find it a bit of a pain fixing the front curtain so my plan is to hang curtain wire from some pre-existing convenient supports where the roof bed reaches the cab, and install some normal drawable curtains at that point (essentially just behind the front seats).

The opening rear window is a very worthwhile option as it allows the boot space to be divided into two and means the amount of ventilation can be controlled (either opening the entire tailgate or just the window). It keeps all the stuff below the lower bed out of sight and is just a lot more flexible all round. It can be opened remotely with the key fob, so on waking up in the morning it is a cinch to enjoy the fresh air and a view.

The kitchen area is split into 3 separately raisable worktops which leads to lots of options for food preparation. The sink is quite small but adequate for washing up. The burners are powerful and can brew up coffee on the lowest setting in a minute or so.

View attachment 23330

The floor is like a very hard lino and being completely smooth is easy to keep clean (esp. with a dog). The downside for the dog is that is it hard for the poor mutt to get any purchase... It is possible for those that don't like the yacht-effect flooring to specify a Cali-like grey textured floor, with a commensurate reduction in cost. We looked at one but it does show the dirt immediately you step on it and seems like more of a hassle to clean (being textured).

Another point raised above is the rear top storage. Actually, it is quite large and stuff doesn't fall out. I don't know how it compares to a Cali but for storing all the sheets and towels it is more than adequate. Actually, the amount of storage in general seems excessive to me. We have trouble filling it all.

Re the air-con issues that I mentioned in an earlier post, it turns out that the default in the Marco Polo is to have just circulating air in the rear part. It is important to switch this off on a hot day (it defaults to on at the start of each trip). On a really hot day, moving the rear bench forward a bit allows rear passengers to take advantage of the strong cooled airflow from the large vent between, and to the rear of, the front seats.

The engine is settling in nicely and we managed an average of 42 mpg at a steady 75 mph over a 950 km distance yesterday, fully loaded. The best we've had so far on a 92 km trip on a combination of fairly empty/flat A-roads plus driving through the centre of a major city (Jerez) was just over 54 mpg, quite surprising to me. These figures, along with the easy of handling, I think make the Marco Polo worth considering for anyone wanting both a daily driver and a camper van.

View attachment 23334

Maybe we got lucky, but the only failing so far has been the white plastic filler piece in one of the USB ports that has snapped off...

One thing that takes some getting used to is lowering the roof. Raising it is a matter of releasing a couple of catches and within 2 seconds it is up via a gentle push. But lowering it involves pushing at a point helpfully marked 'PUSH' in a large font, the purpose of which is to re-align the tubes on the RHS (just visible in this shot) which act as a 'stop' when the roof is up. Pushing has to be just right; too much and the tubes won't telescopically collapse one within the other.

View attachment 23331

Talking of the roof, at first we couldn't work out why it looks so dark outside and yet so light inside, but it turns out to be a two layer affair.

View attachment 23333

Just to end: the dealers (Gazpi in Pamplona) couldn't have been more helpful throughout and if anyone is in the position of wanting to buy over here I can't recommend them enough.

Martin

Matin,

Thank you for this. There is much about the MP that appeals. It is good that VW have decent competition, it might just spur them on to think radically and start providing even half-decent service.

Totally agree with GrannyJen. Competition can only be good for VW. They have dominated the campervan market .

The dark floor is the standard combination with the cream seats. We went for the dark seats and the light floor, then fitted synthetic leather cream seat covers for the same reason, easy to wipe clean.

65k pounds is steep! We paid 58.1k euros i.e. approx 50.4k pounds at the exchange rate when we bought it, plus 650 for the covers. We'll spend another 900 euros or so on the static air heating. This is for the 220 automatic with LED lights, parking package+360 degree camera, driving assistance package (lane assist, blind spot alert etc), rear opening tailgate window, lumbar control seats, 'vodka bar' under-cupboard lighting, towbar preinstallation and a few other minor things, plus some savings by not having the chairs/table. The dealer chucked in alloy wheels, shower, mats, hookup cable and couple of bottles of rioja reserva ;-)

I take the attitude that this is a camper van and has to be used in as many ways as possible to make sense financially. For me, as well as commuting, this means hillwalking trips with a dirty dog, family trips, and nights away under dark skies with my scopes and mounts which have lots of metal bits sticking out all over the place. I don't think it makes sense to buy a vehicle like this and then not use it for fear of cosmetic damage. My previous vehicle had a few dents and scratches and after a while I took comfort from the fact that I no longer needed to worry about it getting dented or scratched...

I think that our local dealer has been taken by surprise by how popular the MP has been and how many people want to see it. It has been snaffled by the dealer principle as his company car and unfortunately is rarely there to be seen, especially at weekends. They are missing a real opportunity. All three of their pre-allocated vehicles sold straight away.
If they parked one, new and shiny in their showroom with the lights shining on it they could sell loads.
I have told them that (my husband recently bought an E class estate from them) but it fell on deaf ears.
Still waiting for it to be available to view.

As I am now on number 6 of my VW T's and have had great service from VW dealers. I wonder why the downer on VW brand. I have also owned Mercs and their dealers gave no better than the service I have had from VW. It will be interesting to see an MP in 5 or 6 years and then bash VW if justified. MP has a place but if you dislike the VW brand so much why not just move on as life is too short.

Cundf my response was not at you or any individual. I was making a comment that if some are unhappy to such an extent life is too short and move on to something else. It is the constant negative comments re VW when I have had excellent service from them and poorer service from Mercedes.

There's a lot of off topic remarks and backbiting on this thread. If you are not interested or don't like the Marco Polo, fine, I get it, but leave this thread to people who are interested in it, be it serious or just curious.

This thread is becoming very childish, some people should just keep their comments to themselves. If you don't like the Marco Polo why do I need to know that, I could not care less of your personal opinion. The only posts worth reading on this thread are the persons who has taken time to give an honest review who have actually seen the van in the flesh or own one.

Now please get back in your prams!

Here's a shot of the rear storage if you don't take the table and chairs option (saving 200+):

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 22.22.42.png

I'm guessing it is similar as the Cali in this respect. I don't have a shot of it at the moment but the rear bench lifts up to one of 6 or 7 fixed sloping positions (good for reading in bed) and there is a space under the padded part that will fit a table of around 86 x 56 x 5cm or so held with bungees without protruding at all into the storage space beneath. This is what we intend to do when we find a suitable table.

Here's a pic showing just the rear hatch open (reminiscent of a T2?). This effectively divides the accessible storage into two parts. It turns out that you can fit a lot in the space above. It doesn't look very large in this image but it is pretty deep and allows use of the full height up to the top of the seat backs. Its great for soft cases, bedding, shopping etc.

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 22.32.33.png

I'll grant you that the Cali has done some very clever stuff to store the table and chairs, that's for sure, but I wouldn't get too carried away thinking that the MP has less interior storage. The MP is a longer vehicle and some of that ends up as extra interior space, which translates to extra boot space if the rear seats are in the most forward position (or removed). It would be revealing to see some comparative measurements of the length of the interior ;).

Martin

Here's a shot of the rear storage if you don't take the table and chairs option (saving 200+):

View attachment 23340

I'm guessing it is similar as the Cali in this respect. I don't have a shot of it at the moment but the rear bench lifts up to one of 6 or 7 fixed sloping positions (good for reading in bed) and there is a space under the padded part that will fit a table of around 86 x 56 x 5cm or so held with bungees without protruding at all into the storage space beneath. This is what we intend to do when we find a suitable table.

Here's a pic showing just the rear hatch open (reminiscent of a T2?). This effectively divides the accessible storage into two parts. It turns out that you can fit a lot in the space above. It doesn't look very large in this image but it is pretty deep and allows use of the full height up to the top of the seat backs. Its great for soft cases, bedding, shopping etc.

View attachment 23341

I'll grant you that the Cali has done some very clever stuff to store the table and chairs, that's for sure, but I wouldn't get too carried away thinking that the MP has less interior storage. The MP is a longer vehicle and some of that ends up as extra interior space, which translates to extra boot space if the rear seats are in the most forward position (or removed). It would be revealing to see some comparative measurements of the length of the interior ;).

Martin
That opening tailgate window is a +tve for the Marco Polo, as long as you don't have a tailgate Bicycle Rack.

Digger appears to really hate the MP, just chill dude and ignore this thread if it annoys you so much, that's what I did with the roof corrosion thread :cheers

Digger appears to really hate the MP, just chill dude and ignore this thread if it annoys you so much, that's what I did with the roof corrosion thread :cheers
Sorry but I have never hated the MP merely responded to the constant downing of VW. My replies are commenting towards the positives of VW and that if some have such a low opinion of the brand they should move on and be happy. As for the responses moaning my response is this is a VW forum and I can stand my ground as I like VW.

Sorry but I have never hated the MP merely responded to the constant downing of VW. My replies are commenting towards the positives of VW and that if some have such a low opinion of the brand they should move on and be happy. As for the responses moaning my response is this is a VW forum and I can stand my ground as I like VW.
Hi Digger, My post wasn't aimed at you, I feel this thread shouldn't descend into a constant VW v. MB nitpick/slagfest. This forum is full of happy Cali owners but it is good to see what similar products are out there and get good info on them without snide comments etc. :thumb

Great review Martin, thank you for taking the time to post this. :thanks

Back