Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

Hi Digger, My post wasn't aimed at you, I feel this thread shouldn't descend into a constant VW v. MB nitpick/slagfest. This forum is full of happy Cali owners but it is good to see what similar products are out there and get good info on them without snide comments etc. :thumb

I posted my comparison after seeing the Marc polo in the flesh,it was good to compare. The owner was very keen for us to hire one for the weekend, because one of the main draws for him was the ride quality .He had driven down from Scotland & felt fresh at the end of the journey.
My comments were never meant to be nitpick or slagfest .

A few around on the used website. Not ticking any boxes for me when looking at the photos but I spoke to my local dealer today and they have one in the showroom. I was brutally honest with dealer and told him I would pop in and take a look. On "paper" its a no.

Only comes in the long length which is 5.1m so not much of a gain over the Cali.

There is a very smart looking black Marco Polo on the corner of the MB Dealer in York (Clifton Moor) if anyone local fancies a spook.

I was going to stop in as we did a 2mph drive-by coming out of VW JCT600 next door yesterday, but the Salesman was in full demo mode with a prospective punter and gave me the 'keep moving sonny' look ...

I'm keeping an open mind, it looked good, but it'll be 10-years before I'm needing an onboard kitchen & almost anything could've happened before then.

I live next door to a Merc dealer and noticed a Marco Polo in there car park. It looks small compared to a California. It sort of looks like a toy camper imo.

Let me know if you'd like anything measured or photographed.

cheers

Martin

Do you have the awning? If so, can you measure the dimensions between the supports please. I'm wondering if the Comfortz awning panels will fit.

Cheers

Derek

I live next door to a Merc dealer and noticed a Marco Polo in there car park. It looks small compared to a California. It sort of looks like a toy camper imo.

Opinions are fine but they are no substitute for facts when said facts are readily available....

Do you have the awning? If so, can you measure the dimensions between the supports please. I'm wondering if the Comfortz awning panels will fit.

Cheers

Derek

Sorry, we don't have the awning.

Martin

There is a very smart looking black Marco Polo on the corner of the MB Dealer in York (Clifton Moor) if anyone local fancies a spook.

I was going to stop in as we did a 2mph drive-by coming out of VW JCT600 next door yesterday, but the Salesman was in full demo mode with a prospective punter and gave me the 'keep moving sonny' look ...

I'm keeping an open mind, it looked good, but it'll be 10-years before I'm needing an onboard kitchen & almost anything could've happened before then.

That's a coincidence. I walked passed the very same one the other day on the way to the shops. I think they look much smaller than a cali. I live just behind JCT 600.

Here's a shot of the rear storage if you don't take the table and chairs option (saving 200+):

Great post Martin, thanks. Although we've no plans to change our own van in the near future, I think it's great that there's now at least one serious direct competitor to the Cali: a really good thing if it keeps VW on their toes in product dev after being IMO pretty lazy with the T5.1>T6 upgrade, and (well, we can only hope) bucks up their ideas about how to sell and support £50k+ vehicles in the UK.

This thread underlines that how we each score various features of a camper depends so much on your style of travel: family or couple or solo, dogs, campsites with hookup and an awning or wild camping, with bikes or not, and so on.

For me, the table/chairs stowage issue in the MP would actually be quite a biggie: because if you have to give up much of the lower luggage compartment space for them, that really limits room for bulky stuff like BBQ and portapotti under the rear shelf. And if you want to sleep downstairs that presumably means a lot more shunting around of gear at night - unless you're going to leave the table/chairs/other stuff outside the van overnight (which we very rarely do as we wild/stealth camp a lot). Surprising that MB didn't manage at least to fit a table into the tailgate.

Had a walk around it last night, there's a black one outside (super blacked-out windows, can't see much!) and a very dark navy metallic blue one inside (with very nice 19" alloys).

It's visibly longer & with more of an overhang behind the rear wheels, but my Mrs thought it was lower & we could both place our palm flat on the roof.

They do look nice and they will be plush being a Merc but I'm 6' 3 and need height. When I bought my Cali it wouldn't fit in my garage and I had to raise the roof by about 8 inches. Can't risk leaving it on my drive in case some lowlife decides to nick it.

Full detailed review of the Marco Polo in the new August edition of MMM.

Full detailed review of the Marco Polo in the new August edition of MMM.
Decent test, they loved the drive but some caviates on the camping side. The report on the Stella prices obtained by restored splitties was even more interesting, it seems that conversion to full electric operation is on offer to ensure continued life post internal combustion. Just £30,000 to you madam, perhaps the galvanized body will more than pay for itself!

Decent test, they loved the drive but some caviates on the camping side. The report on the stellar prices obtained by restored splitties was even more interesting, it seems that conversion to full electric operation is on offer to ensure continued life post internal combustion. Just £30,000 to you madam, perhaps the galvanized body will more than pay for itself!

Another update. I'm in the UK for my daughter's wedding and a spot of hill-climbing in Scotland. OK, we used a hotel for the former, but the latter will involve a full living-in-the-van camper experience. So far I'm two nights in and enjoying every minute (and not a midge in sight).

van.png

To start, here are some slight negatives I've noted with more experience:

* getting the shelf out to turn the gas cylinder on is a pain (there is the main valve on the cylinder to switch off as well as a valve below the fridge; assuming this is similar to the Cali, does everyone switch off at the main cylinder before each journey as recommended?)

* the smoked glass kitchen worktop is not very scratch proof

* it is easy to knock the waste water outlet valve into the open position when using the lower cupboard

* the rubber inlay in the floor seat rails is starting to lift in the rear compartment. I can't see it lasting the full 30 years in the front either...

* I still don't like the audio-20 radio/media interface (this is a Class V/MB rather than a Marco Polo criticism). There are 3 ways of doing most things but none of them are optimised in terms of number of actions. Definitely style over substance.

* in the general driver's cabin area there seem to be pockets of dead space that could have been adapted for MP usage. The lockable glove compartment is quite small for instance. I'm guessing that Westfalia decided there are some parts that are too expensive to adapt. If the van were to be built from the ground-up as a Marco Polo I think many of these spaces would be optimised as in the Cali.

And a few positives:

* the kitchen is much more solidly built and practical than initial impressions would suggest. Having seen the Westfalia kitchens on nearly 20 year old Marco Polos this is what I'd expect -- they're pretty rugged.

* the 3 pull out drawers and 1 sliding door mean that everything is accessible at all times even with the table out. This is really useful. Essentially, one person sitting on the left rear seat can 'control' the entire kitchen space for food prep with the table out without having to get up or move the table

* I've now had the chance to test the upper bed and have found it mega comfortable. The bed base is some kind of multi-cell support. Mind you, it helps greatly to be completely knackered after a long day in the Aonachs.

bed.png

* Fuel economy continues to impress even on UK roads. Fully laden, passengers, luggage, gifts of wine for family... we managed 6.2 l/100 from Portsmouth to the tiny country lanes of Cardigan in West Wales, then 6.3 l/100 from Cardigan to Manchester through the A roads of mid-Wales. Then motorways and A roads from Manchester to Loch Lomond 431 km at 5.8l/100 (48.7 mpg). On a full tank the gauge reports a range of over 1200 km.

Picking up a few points from the thread:

Velma's Dad: I agree entirely, the table/chair etc discussion does draw out the different uses one makes of the van even within the same group of users. When I'm solo camping I don't bother with table/chair/awning for instance. Regarding the table, there is space directly under the bed extension for a table to be stored without interfering with the storage beneath. In the photo you can make out the 'hollowed-out' space beneath the bench. Taking this and the black metal support frame into account amounts to around 8cm available depth. So a table occupying 86 x 56 x 8 cm can be stashed underneath leaving more than enough room for standard 30 cm high storage boxes (that's what I'm using). You might just squeeze in a small porta-potti (I note the Thetford Qube 445 in small is 31.3 cm in height).

rearbench.png

Blackout windows. Yes, it is very difficult to see into the vehicle from outside but not the other way round. I guess it almost isn't necessary to use the blinds unless you're lit up inside. Here's a view taken just now from a caravan-infested parking spot where I spent the night between Fort William and Inverness, taken through the tinted glass.

tinted.png

Length. I measured the maximum internal length to be 2.5m exactly, from the internal part of the tailgate when closed to the immovable part at the base of the front seats. So if you have say a sofa measuring 2.5m it will fit.

Height. There have been so far several occasions where coming in just under 2m has made a difference. One was the dropoff at Manchester airport. Pretty scary heading for the bar at 2m though but I imagine a lot of people use the V class as an airport taxi. As for internal height, I haven't measured it but yes, at 6'3" you'll be scraping the top when in the back seat with the internal roof partition lowered (I'm 6' and I have about 2" spare) and perhaps too in the driver's seat, not due to the height of the roof (as commented above there is no closeable partition in this part, so there is more headroom) but because of the rim supporting the roof.

Awning. We decided against the permanent awning for reasons of cost and drag and instead, based on a post by WelshGas, a 40 euro tarp (high sun protection version) from Decathlon, which is overall much more flexible, especially when adapted to fit the guide rail of the van.

Martin

Enjoying reading these Martin, appreciate it.

It's amazing how once a vehicle gets onto to your radar you see far more of them - I walked out of Kings Cross Station on Thursday and all I could see was V-Class! Police vans, Taxis, People Carriers everywhere...

I've yet to see an MP on the move, but the big font WESTFALIA signwritten on the back of the poptop is a good clue.

Hi Martin,
Very useful for me thank you!
Can you provide information about adding a bench seat? The dealer said we don't have this as an option but looking on eBay Germany I can see 2 seat v class benches which look like they would fit in just fine....

I've just spotted in the Spanish forum furgovw.org a shot of a MP with the bench seat, showing it in place with the bed fully extended.

(half way down this thread)

On the same page it mentions that the Thetford Qube 335 will fit under the rear bench, and that by removing the (removable) shelf in the cupboard with the sliding drawer in the kitchen, the Qube also fits there. Worth knowing.

Martin

Martin
Am about to take the plunge into camper van ownership.
Enjoyed your posts, and have given a real insight into the reality of the MP experience
One question if I may. You didn't go for the awning. Have you ever regretted it? Or is it the case that the after fit one you mention works perfectly well for the times you need it - in fact do you find you need it much at all?
I am doubting how much use I will get / whether I will regret not having one.
Any thoughts gratefully received
Thank you
Mark

Martin
Enjoyed your posts, and have given a real insight into the reality of the MP experience
One question if I may. You didn't go for the awning. Have you ever regretted it? Or is it the case that the after fit one you mention works perfectly well for the times you need it - in fact do you find you need it much at all?
Thank you
Mark
You may know but I see that The Caravan & Motorhome Club have a link with Mercedes for discounts, should apply to Marco Polo. If not a member may be worth joining.

I took Albert on an excursion today.

Unusually I had company, my Sister and our two doggies,

It started innocently enough ... "why don't we go to this wetland refuge...? " and ended with Jo, my sister, regretting her words as I consulted maps, the sat nav, and set Albert on course over something called a road but in reality great big holes divided by cracks and infilled with mountains of debri that had Albert bouncing over every wheel.

We crashed, bounced, flew in the air, finally got to the end of our short cut and civilisation, every part of the Cali creaking, groaning and crashing, and she said " how does Albert put up with you?"

Will I be able to do the same with e MP?

I took Albert on an excursion today.

Unusually I had company, my Sister and our two doggies,

It started innocently enough ... "why don't we go to this wetland refuge...? " and ended with Jo, my sister, regretting her words as I consulted maps, the sat nav, and set Albert on course over something called a road but in reality great big holes divided by cracks and infilled with mountains of debri that had Albert bouncing over every wheel.

We crashed, bounced, flew in the air, finally got to the end of our short cut and civilisation, every part of the Cali creaking, groaning and crashing, and she said " how does Albert put up with you?"

Will I be able to do the same with e MP?
Answer is YES. Only once though!!

Martin
Thank you
Mark

Hi Mark

Definitely not regretted it so far. I get the feeling awnings have of late become a must-have accessory for a new camper van but I don't really see them as essential. I imagine in any case one could add the original MB awning later (best to check with the dealer on that though). However, I am more of a free/stealth camper and I see awnings as something that comes out at a 'proper' campsite.

Just to clarify that the 'after-fit' one is a simple tarp (called Tarp) from Decathlon, selling for around 25 euros. Actually, Decathlon make two types, one of which is more solar-resistant than the other, so we have one of each, which for a total of around 55 euros gives a great deal of flexibility (e.g. one can be used as a side panel, or the poles can be lengthened using the other tarp's poles, etc). The tarp is a more flexible product altogether as it can be used as an external tent-like shelter, which might be useful for a wind-tunnel effect for drying clothes when its raining (thinking of Scotland here mainly...). What I like about the tarp is that it packs down really small and is very light.The first trip we did was to a campsite and we dutifully tried out the tarp which worked fine with a few home-made fasteners to attach it to the rail.

Martin

Brilliant thank you Martin
As I thought. The key for me is most of the time the vehicle will be my daily driver so knowing there are perfectly functional accessories to use when needed is very helpful.
Much appreciated
Mark

Back