Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

I have the option of taking an MP away for the weekend. Note sure and currently reviewing costs on an new T6 build without an electric sliding side door. There are some bits I like and some I don't. Dealer told me no incentive but currently 5% on DTD. Plenty of stock builds available and pre registered vehicles(doh).

One thing I can't seem to find details on. Salesman told me air suspension for the MP which can self level? Also that the air conditioning can run without the engine running but requires the key in the ignition and the vehicle hooked up to the mains. I would have thought that benefits like that would be noted down somewhere

I have the option of taking an MP away for the weekend. Note sure and currently reviewing costs on an new T6 build without an electric sliding side door. There are some bits I like and some I don't. Dealer told me no incentive but currently 5% on DTD. Plenty of stock builds available and pre registered vehicles(doh).

One thing I can't seem to find details on. Salesman told me air suspension for the MP which can self level? Also that the air conditioning can run without the engine running but requires the key in the ignition and the vehicle hooked up to the mains. I would have thought that benefits like that would be noted down somewhere

I've checked through the brochure and there is no mention of air suspension that I can find. All references are to standard suspension although firmness of the dampers can be adjusted there is no compressed air suspension.

On the aircon then I guess you can run this with the ignition on but being hooked up to the external electrics means you are not running down the main battery. In the Mercedes My Guides app for the Marco Polo it says - "The starter battery and auxiliary battery are connected. For this reason you can also charge the starter battery via the battery charger."

The salesman apologised today for misleading me on the air suspension. :talktothehand

Hoping to have it the first weekend in August for evaluation

Registered with CarWow and best deal offered was a 9.1% discount from MB Cardiff. MB Sheffield were second best with 7.1%. I'll be taking the Cardiff offer to my dealership to use if I want to do a deal.

Wow..... thanks for the heads up.

I told the dealer that I haven't done my homework but pre-registered vehicles and stock availability was an indication to me that there were more vehicles available then being sold.

Bought our PHEV with CarWow.

I've checked through the brochure and there is no mention of air suspension that I can find. All references are to standard suspension although firmness of the dampers can be adjusted there is no compressed air suspension.

On the aircon then I guess you can run this with the ignition on but being hooked up to the external electrics means you are not running down the main battery. In the Mercedes My Guides app for the Marco Polo it says - "The starter battery and auxiliary battery are connected. For this reason you can also charge the starter battery via the battery charger."
I would ask some serious questions about using the AirCon on Mains Hookup. I could be wrong but I just do not see how that can be done without using a lot of power.
The VW has the " Rest " function where you can run the interior fans for 30 minutes using the residual heat or coolness held in the internal heater matrix.
Running the MB AirCon which is run, mechanically, off the engine using some form of electrical pump/compressor would be a first as far as I am aware.

I think the salesman might have mislead you on more than just the 'Air Suspension".:thumb

I would ask some serious questions about using the AirCon on Mains Hookup. I could be wrong but I just do not see how that can be done without using a lot of power.
The VW has the " Rest " function where you can run the interior fans for 30 minutes using the residual heat or coolness held in the internal heater matrix.
Running the MB AirCon which is run, mechanically, off the engine using some form of electrical pump/compressor would be a first as far as I am aware.

I think the salesman might have mislead you on more than just the 'Air Suspension".:thumb

Again there is no mention of the aircon being run off battery with the engine off in the My Guide app so I very much suspect you are right. I think the fan would work with ignition on and engine off and the main battery would be kept topped up if you did but not sure there would be any cooling otherwise they'd be making a point of highlighting it.

Would be a great idea but I think that you are right. I've asked him for confirmation and he told me that he was going to check it with the technical expert. I suspect I will have an second apology tomorrow.

Would be a great idea but I think that you are right. I've asked him for confirmation and he told me that he was going to check it with the technical expert. I suspect I will have an second apology tomorrow.
Fascinating thread but is it me or is it just like Everton fans going onto the Liverpool fanzine site and extolling the virtues of their club, you know cheaper seats, more attractive goal keeper etc and ignoring the history/achievements of Liverpool that draws their fans in for the long term regardless of a tempory lack of success.

Fascinating thread but is it me or is it just like Everton fans going onto the Liverpool fanzine site and extolling the virtues of their club, you know cheaper seats, more attractive goal keeper etc and ignoring the history/achievements of Liverpool that draws their fans in for the long term regardless of a tempory lack of success.

I think it is genuine excitement amongst camper van enthusiasts that their is at long last an alternative in the factory built camper market, plus a large slug of hope that it might just also shake VW up into realising that they have customers buying an expensive vehicle who really would like to be treated as customers for once.

I think also it's because there doesn't really appear to be a particularly active forum in English for the Marco Polo. That has to be a negative for the Merc in my view but I'd like to think ultimately we all share a common interest despite what van we might currently support!

I think also it's because there doesn't really appear to be a particularly active forum in English for the Marco Polo. That has to be a negative for the Merc in my view but I'd like to think ultimately we all share a common interest despite what van we might currently support!

One of the reasons we were attracted to buying VW california was the support of a very active VW California Club . We also hired one of Martins( Admin) T5.
Must agree with James Bell post because we are Liverpool supporters :)

That tells you something. MB should have set one up if they really want to make market inroads, likewise VW as well.

Once the Marco Polo forum is running well we will most probably lose the new owners of the MP. It is after all the VW California Owners forum and as such the focus must be for its owners or other VW models. That said it is good that there are more campervan owners, no matter make or model. The Marco Polo will suit many but for me it was too flash and not as practical as the Cali. That said it is a good looking van and I hope the owners have great times.
As for VW service I have had exceptional service from VW Liverpool over the years.
My past experience with Mercedes including a 555 Hymer was no better than the service from VW but as we
all know dealers vary greatly.

Once the Marco Polo forum is running well we will most probably lose the new owners of the MP. It is after all the VW California Owners forum and as such the focus must be for its owners or other VW models. That said it is good that there are more campervan owners, no matter make or model. The Marco Polo will suit many but for me it was too flash and not as practical as the Cali. That said it is a good looking van and I hope the owners have great times.
As for VW service I have had exceptional service from VW Liverpool over the years.
My past experience with Mercedes including a 555 Hymer was no better than the service from VW but as we
all know dealers vary greatly.

The MP forum is already set up, as a sister to this site. I personally am quite happy to have inter-mixing with MP owners here and VW ones there. We have a lot to share, the camper van experience, the lifestyle, the comparisons.

For me it is hugely exciting, I have booked a test drive for next week of a MP, I love my Cali, I really do not see a MP convincing me, but let's be open-minded and let's embrace the challenge that VW are facing.

I am quite happy to hear the pros and cons of a very similar camper van, I'm sure VW salesman will be reading with interest too. Once 10-20 people "defect" to MB and the MP forum grows it means they have to listen and adapt, can only be good news for Cali owners. With regard to this forum if the subject is contained to a couple of threads I see no harm, people not interested or haters can just ignore if they wish. It will be interesting to hear your views Jen.

Also be interesting if MB read the forum once it's busier. VW wouldn't have to try hard to find areas of the buying experience to improve, if anyone in power working there was inclined to come read this & the Transporter fora.

With regard to the Marco Polo sister forum is it this one http://www.mercedesmarcopolo.co.uk/ ?

I assume it is because it is owned by the same company who owns this one - Unique Forums Ltd.

If it is then all I can see is a home page with one hyperlink back to this very thread. Any idea when it will be fully operational?

With regard to the Marco Polo sister forum is it this one http://www.mercedesmarcopolo.co.uk/ ?

I assume it is because it is owned by the same company who owns this one - Unique Forums Ltd.

If it is then all I can see is a home page with one hyperlink back to this very thread. Any idea when it will be fully operational?

I presume, and can only presume, it will be live once there are sufficient MP owners to make the forum viable.

It will be perfect competition for the Cali until there is a BB and people start to post faults, poor dealer knowledge and service etc etc. Perhaps not a dodgey roof though.

Mike

On the (very active) Spanish forum furgovw.org there is a subforum for other camper models. This works well as the separation is clear and yet MP (and other model) owners can read and contribute generic camper van experiences to the rest of the forum. There is no animosity that I can detect at all. Its one bug community. But then the MP has been around for a long time in Spain.

I was parked up next to a T5 Cali the other day and we spent quite a while chatting about the camper van experience in general, especially for our shared passion for remote hill-walking, and I guess we spent no more than 10% of the time comparing models. There is much more that unites us than divides us. I would have been perfectly happy with a Cali if the MP hadn't caught my attention -- its a marginal thing.

On the (very active) Spanish forum furgovw.org there is a subforum for other camper models. This works well as the separation is clear and yet MP (and other model) owners can read and contribute generic camper van experiences to the rest of the forum. There is no animosity that I can detect at all. Its one bug community. But then the MP has been around for a long time in Spain.

I was parked up next to a T5 Cali the other day and we spent quite a while chatting about the camper van experience in general, especially for our shared passion for remote hill-walking, and I guess we spent no more than 10% of the time comparing models. There is much more that unites us than divides us. I would have been perfectly happy with a Cali if the MP hadn't caught my attention -- its a marginal thing.

I quite agree Martin, it is what a camper van can do and the lifestyles it provides for that is important. I suspect that after having a play with a Marco Polo I will probably stick with the Cali but my mind is open to persuasion. At the end of the day whatever the hardware we use it is the lifestyle that we share.

Back