Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

I've recently had to make the agonising and difficult decision of whether to order a California or Marco Polo.

I first started looking a few months ago-initially just at the California Ocean.I took a lot of time reading on here,deciphering the confusing options/price list and configurator and calling in at my local VW Van Centre(Preston)to ask all the questions one does when searching for the perfect camper(Guy at Preston is highly recommended and knows his stuff btw).Also looked at pre reg vehicles but eventually decided on a factory order to get exactly what I wanted.

Then VW went and increased the price of the California by about 7% which made my order about £5k more expensive but while I was annoyed about my timing-this did not put me off.I worked out my perfect spec and looked to place an order however VW now have a situation where the 204 4motion DSG is unorderable at the moment??

While waiting for my California order to be processed I read on here about the Marco Polo.Never heard of it before-thought it was some aftermarket conversion so it went off my radar.Passing my local MB dealer a few days later there was one set up so thought I'd pop in for a nosey around-if only to make sure my decision to order the Cali was the right one.

Walking up to the one they had there,the shape did not immediately grab me but once inside I did like the interior-wood effect floor,high quality units by Westfalia and full leather interior(I had spec'd Alcantara on my Cali order but was peeved that the surrounding material was not leather.)A lot more stuff that was optional on the Cali was standard on the MP.

I went away and started weighing both vehicles up.Both are fantastic and I would be really happy with either but I had to make a decision.

The California was more expensive after the price increase(although not quite a direct comparison because the MP is only 2WD).The model I wanted is unobtainable as a factory order at the moment and,in my opinion of course,not as nice inside.Some options I would have liked I had to pass on as it would have made it massively more expensive.On the plus side the California has something that the Merc(at least in the U.K.)does not have at all-heritage.This is important to me as I am a lifelong Land Rover Defender owner and I like this side of it.Hand in hand with heritage is residual values-I don't think the MP will hold its money as well.The outside chairs and table stow cleverly in the California yet in the Merc they take up most of the boot space-a bit of a joke really.

The MP interior is really top class-full leather(quite surprising really because most Mercs have this Artico rubbish these days)Extra length in the body which makes for a more spacious interior-worth the offset for the slight extra difficulty in manoeuvrability.One silly thing with the MP though-the top bed is not lifted by struts but fastened in place by 2 clips.The rear seats are separate which is good and recline electrically as required.The tailgate glass opening independently is a good idea.There is also no handbrake to get in the way when rotating the front seats.Whilst on the subject of the front seats they only have one armrest each which is a bit daft.The outside shape has grown on me now-it is more imposing than the Cali-if not quite as 'cute' if you understand what I mean.

So there are many pros and cons for both vehicles.I drove the MP today and was quite surprised-I wasn't expecting much but it drove well and is a nice place to be for a long trip.

I've had sleepless nights the last couple of weeks but have now finally decided that I'm going to go for the MP-not an easy decision but on balance fits what I need slightly better than the Cali.

A really difficult decision.

I've recently had to make the agonising and difficult decision of whether to order a California or Marco Polo.

I first started looking a few months ago-initially just at the California Ocean.I took a lot of time reading on here,deciphering the confusing options/price list and configurator and calling in at my local VW Van Centre(Preston)to ask all the questions one does when searching for the perfect camper(Guy at Preston is highly recommended and knows his stuff btw).Also looked at pre reg vehicles but eventually decided on a factory order to get exactly what I wanted.

Then VW went and increased the price of the California by about 7% which made my order about £5k more expensive but while I was annoyed about my timing-this did not put me off.I worked out my perfect spec and looked to place an order however VW now have a situation where the 204 4motion DSG is unorderable at the moment??

While waiting for my California order to be processed I read on here about the Marco Polo.Never heard of it before-thought it was some aftermarket conversion so it went off my radar.Passing my local MB dealer a few days later there was one set up so thought I'd pop in for a nosey around-if only to make sure my decision to order the Cali was the right one.

Walking up to the one they had there,the shape did not immediately grab me but once inside I did like the interior-wood effect floor,high quality units by Westfalia and full leather interior(I had spec'd Alcantara on my Cali order but was peeved that the surrounding material was not leather.)A lot more stuff that was optional on the Cali was standard on the MP.

I went away and started weighing both vehicles up.Both are fantastic and I would be really happy with either but I had to make a decision.

The California was more expensive after the price increase(although not quite a direct comparison because the MP is only 2WD).The model I wanted is unobtainable as a factory order at the moment and,in my opinion of course,not as nice inside.Some options I would have liked I had to pass on as it would have made it massively more expensive.On the plus side the California has something that the Merc(at least in the U.K.)does not have at all-heritage.This is important to me as I am a lifelong Land Rover Defender owner and I like this side of it.Hand in hand with heritage is residual values-I don't think the MP will hold its money as well.The outside chairs and table stow cleverly in the California yet in the Merc they take up most of the boot space-a bit of a joke really.

The MP interior is really top class-full leather(quite surprising really because most Mercs have this Artico rubbish these days)Extra length in the body which makes for a more spacious interior-worth the offset for the slight extra difficulty in manoeuvrability.One silly thing with the MP though-the top bed is not lifted by struts but fastened in place by 2 clips.The rear seats are separate which is good and recline electrically as required.The tailgate glass opening independently is a good idea.There is also no handbrake to get in the way when rotating the front seats.Whilst on the subject of the front seats they only have one armrest each which is a bit daft.The outside shape has grown on me now-it is more imposing than the Cali-if not quite as 'cute' if you understand what I mean.

So there are many pros and cons for both vehicles.I drove the MP today and was quite surprised-I wasn't expecting much but it drove well and is a nice place to be for a long trip.

I've had sleepless nights the last couple of weeks but have now finally decided that I'm going to go for the MP-not an easy decision but on balance fits what I need slightly better than the Cali.

A really difficult decision.

A great summary. I think that I am also going to be sharing some of your agonising shortly.

Full leather retrim for Ocean is £1314.00 fitted. MP is very good but totally unsuitable for my use. Hope you have great times.

Full leather retrim for Ocean is £1314.00 fitted. MP is very good but totally unsuitable for my use. Hope you have great times.

I think we know the MP is not for you now, they are no just discussing it, not trying to convert you!

Digger, I think the big question is why has the California price increased so much over the last 2 years? or maybe just over the last year?.

My current vehicle spec without the interior upgrade or wheels but with the heated screen and App is £8k more.

That's better value than the alcantara option.Why can't VW offer something similar to the 'cricket' leather option in the Touareg-a hard wearing yet quality feeling leather?

Was your "hope you have great times" comment meant tongue in cheek?-I wasn't disrespecting the Cali-it's a great vehicle and I may well regret not going for one.

That's better value than the alcantara option.Why can't VW offer something similar to the 'cricket' leather option in the Touareg-a hard wearing yet quality feeling leather?

Was your "hope you have great times" comment meant tongue in cheek?-I wasn't disrespecting the Cali-it's a great vehicle and I may well regret not going for one.
Absolutely not. I think the MP is excellent but not for me. My use is much more suited to a Cali thats all. If I have any gripe it is those who constantly put down the Cali. The main thing is getting a campervan and using it to its full potential no
matter make or model. The wishes for great times was sincere.

It's great to read this thread as we to have been weighing up the MP vs the Cali. For me, the MP is stunning and has all the features we need as standard. If anything, it may be a little too nice and I wonder about the practicality when out with a damp dog! The VW has the heritage, and there's a comfort in such legacy. Not to mention all of the great lifestyle and events vw ownership has to offer. I'm not sure the MP can come close to competing on this. However like many of the comments above, it would be good to see vw add a few more extras to the increased price as its loyal customers will eventually be priced out or simply fed up with paying more for less options.

It's great to read this thread as we to have been weighing up the MP vs the Cali. For me, the MP is stunning and has all the features we need as standard. If anything, it may be a little too nice and I wonder about the practicality when out with a damp dog! The VW has the heritage, and there's a comfort in such legacy. Not to mention all of the great lifestyle and events vw ownership has to offer. I'm not sure the MP can come close to competing on this. However like many of the comments above, it would be good to see vw add a few more extras to the increased price as its loyal customers will eventually be priced out or simply fed up with paying more for less options.

I have a dog as well but thought the leather seats would be more practical than cloth (and nicer than seat covers), the materials on the kitchen seem high quality and the floor is a smooth lino that would be easy to wipe down but I've not got one yet so have no real world benchmark.

Slightly off topic but we recently got a robe from Amazon to put around the dog - it warms him, dries him and he cannot shake water all over the place. I'm thinking that will be very useful for us and others - MB or VW!

...and also the shower attachment at the rear is standard - potentially useful for sluicing down a muddy pooch.

Interesting about retrim , I'd really like leather as I haven't decided about seat covers yet and just got the vw covers for now . I saw a Jules Vern MB , which is slightly longer than the Marco Polo, but has way more comfort , the leather looked fabulous, I'd possibly want to test drive this or the equivalent when I change , but as I got it seems one of the very last 204 DSG 4 motion and it's really really a satisfying drive I don't know having driven the 150 2wd option I'd be happy with less power and less grip, especially in winter .

We are off to the champagne meet and look forward to hearing views on all of the big subject ... maybe one day we could organise a joint meet to compare experiences notes and options ?

Well after looking around for months now. And having over 20years of motor homing experience behind me I came to this conclusion. Both the California and the mb are more suited to long weekend stops. The kitchens are ok for knocking up a cup of tea or a bowl of soap but not much more. If I was younger and still kayaking it would be the vw for sure. But as an old boy who now plans European road trips with a good mix of motorhome stop overs, camp sites and hotels. And as the marco polo came in over 8000 pounds cheaper then the lower spec ocean it was a know brainer for me in the end. As to long term ownership well only time will tale. But to be honest I really would of liked bmw to have made a campervan. Michael

I think the fact that spec for spec the MP is a bit cheaper than the Cali after the recent VW price increase is making more look at the Mercedes than normally would have.I bet Mercedes are in a quandary as to whether to increase prices to match or leave the current situation as it is to get more MP's on the road which is one of the best ways of spreading the word that they now sell this in the U.K.

spec for spec it was £10,000 cheaper not a bit. I used a car broker firm and got the 250d mb with all the bells including self parking. I think that MB want to get the vans out on the roads.

Oh dear :sad

I welcome the MP for a few reasons, one being the promise of a better manufacturer / dealer experience.

I have tried twice now to have a sensible conversation with my local MB dealer. No luck.

Over the weekend I went on MB's "book a test drive" page. It offered a spare slot for tomorrow afternoon. I booked it.

Today I had one of those "calls are recorded for training purposes" from MB Head office. "How can we help you" ......"I've booked a test drive I hope".... "ok, I will check for you .... which model is it?" .... "The Marco Polo"..... "Oh! Well, we are expecting that to start coming into the country over the next few months".....:shocked

Pause, a long one, I need a coffee :D

"They are already in the country, they have been seen, I'm on a forum where members have seen them, in fact even ordered one or two .... honest!"......."oh! Well in that case I will get one of our dealers to call you..... what is your phone number" ..... "the one that you have just called me on ........."

I've gone back to packing Albert up. He's safe for the time being.

I must say that mb like most car dealerships these days don't try very hard to win friends. But take a walk in any main dealer showroom and watch the show going on. The salesman playing the good guy, he she wants to give you a better deal but the manager says know. I have watched people taking it all in. Getting next to nothing on their px and signing to hp which leaves them paying 12000 pounds on top the selling price. There was a time when they had to work to make a sale,these days they just dont care.

Dealerships in my experience are extremely variable and it does annoy me that I feel I have to work so hard to give them 50 to 60 grand. I've used the "book a test drive" on manufacturer's websites before and generally hear nothing back. I don't even try now and just phone the dealerships directly. Even then I more often than not don't get call backs. All I can say that my local MB dealership in Harrogate (JCT600) called me back after I left a message and again when I have left subsequent ones to book a test drive so I feel I am dealing with people who are interested.

Well people I have done part of my European trip and am at the moment at Lake balaton (Hungary).
So nearly 1200 miles (1900km) What I can say is its fuel economy is unbelievable and just after refueling and hopping back onto the autobahn at 100kph for 50 miles or so was showing well in access of 55mpg.
Its showing me 48mpg for the whole trip so far which the majority was all motorway driving at about 60mph to 65mph (100kph to 110kph). On 3 occasions was I in heavy traffic and one of them was crawling for around 30 minutes.
I had stopped on numerous occasions on the autobahn's and got a few hours much needed sleep and one night for a whole 8 hours that's how comfy it is sleeping downstairs on the rear twin sofa/bed which you can bolster to your needs. I am a big guy so comfort is a must and driving this Marco polo and sleeping in it is a pleasure.Tonight will be sleeping in the roof section which I know is very comfy as when I brought this vehicle I slept in it for a couple of nights parked on my drive just to test out prior this trip and could not fault it.
There are a few things that I would change on this vehicle that annoy me like no cup holders in the front for driver or passenger just in each door pocket that's it plus where the front usb's are really awkward to get your hand in to plug in devices (especially my big hands) plus not visible without bending head down to look for which is not advisable whilst driving lol.
I will post again soon with more thoughts on this vehicle............

Well people I have done part of my European trip and am at the moment at Lake balaton (Hungary).
So nearly 1200 miles (1900km) What I can say is its fuel economy is unbelievable and just after refueling and hopping back onto the autobahn at 100kph for 50 miles or so was showing well in access of 55mpg.
Its showing me 48mpg for the whole trip so far which the majority was all motorway driving at about 60mph to 65mph (100kph to 110kph). On 3 occasions was I in heavy traffic and one of them was crawling for around 30 minutes.
I had stopped on numerous occasions on the autobahn's and got a few hours much needed sleep and one night for a whole 8 hours that's how comfy it is sleeping downstairs on the rear twin sofa/bed which you can bolster to your needs. I am a big guy so comfort is a must and driving this Marco polo and sleeping in it is a pleasure.Tonight will be sleeping in the roof section which I know is very comfy as when I brought this vehicle I slept in it for a couple of nights parked on my drive just to test out prior this trip and could not fault it.
There are a few things that I would change on this vehicle that annoy me like no cup holders in the front for driver or passenger just in each door pocket that's it plus where the front usb's are really awkward to get your hand in to plug in devices (especially my big hands) plus not visible without bending head down to look for which is not advisable whilst driving lol.
I will post again soon with more thoughts on this vehicle............
Interesting! Thanks ...

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

We have just come back from a weekend away, mainly motorway driving on the M5 and have also achieved mid fifties, we are truly overjoyed as did not expect to get those figures until run in. Driving position is awesome and after 2 hours in drivers seat I arrived feeling really relaxed with no aches or pains. Also amazing how much attention the van gets from people, I even got stopped in the petrol garage and had to do a guided tour.

Back