Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

Both beds seemed narrower than in the Cali.
Top bead is 60mm narrower. Okay if you are not built like a BSH.

Appalled though that it was someone's new van. I always view it as a measurement of the quality of a dealership that "sold" vehicles are locked up and left sacrosanct as long as they have to remain on the showroom floor.

Sounds like they were told to produce one, not impressed.

Top bead is 60mm narrower. Okay if you are not built like a BSH.

Thank you, my eyes weren't playing tricks. Is the MP a narrower vehicle? I felt it was, narrower and longer. I came back to Albert and whilst the MP may sit like a well groomed greyhound Albert was sat in the car park like a well built bulldog. The lower bed seemed narrower yet so did the kitchen so where has the width gone?

I just love the simple looks of the California. Its not trying to be something else, because it is the original of the species. The heritage, the clean understated looks ( beautiful in my opinion), beats the opposition hands down. Nothing comes close, and the MP will never catch up. They can make it from gold if they want, but the California just has a magic about it, a personality, that no amount of bling will ever compensate for. A bit of competition, fair enough but I wouldn't give it a second look, because I know I would only regret it in the end.

MP experience part deux:

First experience. It looks nice.

Get in the drivers seat it is nice. Loads of space, not van-like: Loved it until I started to play with things when I found it "fiddly". Just too much going on. I really can't explain it, lack of space to put things, a bit disjointed, nothing chunky like the VW. OK, the VW is vanlike: Guess what: It is a van.

Then came the killer for me, and this is before we start: "Can I have a test drive first?" ....."No, we can't give you a practical test drive, like an hour bouncing on country roads, going in a field, running high speed etc: Perhaps about five minutes around the block"....... "Why's that"? ..... "this vehicle is sold" .... "you mean, you are demonstrating from a customers brand new pride and joy?"..... "Yes: As a policy we are not going to have Demo vehicles: too expensive: so the only road-legal vehicles are those that we have sold".

So, no test drive. I'm not driving some poor souls pride and joy for a meaningless twice around the block.

"Well lets get the roof raised then" ..... beep beep beep. No roof going up. It's strapped down that's why. Those manual things that hold the bed up when raised? They were still attached so the motors were trying to raise both roof and bed. I'm now ever so impressed with the sales person's knowledge.

Eventually it's up and the sprung upstairs bed knocks spots off the Cali's slatted base. Nice pretty lights as well, not that flimsy, dismal flexilight of the T5, although I believe it's the same in the T6.

"can I see how the downstairs bed folds down"... "of course".... Well, In Albert it's release a catch, slide forward, pull a bit of tape, back down, ready for bed before I've finished typing this sentence. In the MP I could finish typing war and peace before it's "electrically" lowered and deflated. Both beds seemed narrower than in the Cali, it might just be my eyes being deceived by the different lighting, but both beds are, in comfort terms, superior to the Cali. The electric lowering of the bed also reminded me that there is only one leisure battery in play here.

I find Alberts two sliding doors quite rustic in the kitchen. I liked the Drawer / cupboard combination in the MP. I did not like the piano-black top. I would be forever cleaning. I did like the lights but I understand the T6 is as good (Albert is a T5). I did like the floor. Wipe clean. Wonderful. The twin rear seats rather than the unsupported flat bench seat in the Cali is an improvement.

Step around the back now: the split tailgate. Wonderful. The powered tailgate: wonderful. The cupboard same as the Cali. The boot non-existent because of tables and chairs in the way. However I'm scratching my head. I have heard that the MP uses a bespoke, unique gas bottle. "Can I see it please"? .... no. The sales person did not know where it was. I did want to tell him it will probably be underneath the lift-up base of the rear wardrobe, "no, the water tank is in there" .... Oh well.

I am now bored. It's a camper. Camper's do not belong in showrooms. They belong in open spaces and that's where I wanted to be, even with the rain, as that's where a proper, practical look round should be.

It's a lovely vehicle. It's not for me. Great if I was going to drive up the road, cruise on the motorway, park on the hardstanding of my full amenity campsite. In those circumstances I would probably think "yes". When I think of where I have been with Albert in the last four years, Crashing and banging my way over snow covered wild tracks in Skye and Wester Ross, fighting my way, both mirrors touching, down narrow potholed, cobbled streets in France, splashing my way through flooded tracks in Devon, literally crashing into a newly-made rockfall and becoming airborne, Albert may be rustic, may be a van in front, may be a bit gloomy inside without my fairy lights, but I can trust him anywhere, summer or winter, flood, rain, hail and snow.

A great vehicle, there will be many many happy MP owners in years to come, VW have real competition, but not for me.

OH! A big PS! I mentioned "winter wheels". I got a mumbled response that the MP cannot be fitted with "Winter wheels". Wheels or tyres? A bemused look. I think he may have meant chains, not wheels, not tyres, but it was a very odd conversation that ended up with me being emphatically told "Change the wheels, invalidate the warranty". I really would like to have light shed on that rather dim and gloomy response.

I had a test drive in a MP today and that was in an unregistered vehicle with trade plates. My dealer said that he thought all MB dealerships were given an unregistered MP but some had pre-registered them to make them visible on the MB used car searches. Possibly someone has bought what was the demo vehicle for your dealership. The dealer said I could go wherever I wanted but I didn't ask to take it off road. The salesman I dealt with was very knowledgeable and showed me how the 360 cameras worked, how it highlighted parking spaces it could automatically parallel park into (he had a demo area set up at their storage facility so you could actually try it) and it beeped a warning when it detected something moving between parked cars as I negotiated down one of my least favourite narrow streets in Harrogate. I also liked the auto roadsign detection but I'm a sucker for "toys".

The seats do take a while to move but personally I can wait a few extra seconds and I like the idea of them being individually reclinable when sitting or travelling.

I have no previous real experience of camper vans (other than a weekend in a rubbish conversion) so it is harder for me to think of moving from a car to a van especially as it will be my daily driver. The MP is like staying with a car so I can imagine that people like me who are new to campervan life and not as aware of the practicalities may be more likely to fall for the MPs charms. In a V-Class people carrier there is a console between the two front seats but I assume they have removed this to enable the seats to rotate and I suspect cup holders were in there and they have not engineered them in anywhere else.

On a final point a Mercedes dealership that has no understanding of winter tyres is a serious issue - Mercs are absolutely terrible in snow and actively promote their use on their website and even suggest MB dealers where you can get them fitted. Your sales guy sounds totally incompetent - this is actually a high margin sales opportunity for him on top of the potential sale of a £55k plus vehicle.

What we have is half a story. With know test drive to be had you only get half the story. I must say that I looked at the mb at the dorchester showroom. The salesman had know knowledge at all, but this is part of the course in many dealerships whatever the make.but a lot of people are looking at vw vans with rose tinted glasses on. Its a very very expensive dated van that is living on its past glory. Vw are playing a very good game at restricting the number of true vans coming to the uk and selling a large number of base units to converters.its a win win for vw as they still gets sales without further investment.
I am know lover of mb, never owned a vw. But I do feel that its good that there is a mb. And did you all notice from the video the tested mb was all wheel drive and had a nice sun roof in the top bed roof. What would be more interesting would be if mb had introduced their beach type van into the uk market first. Only time will tale. As capt aubrey said, what fascinating time we live in.

What we have is half a story. With know test drive to be had you only get half the story. I must say that I looked at the mb at the dorchester showroom. The salesman had know knowledge at all, but this is part of the course in many dealerships whatever the make.but a lot of people are looking at vw vans with rose tinted glasses on. Its a very very expensive dated van that is living on its past glory. Vw are playing a very good game at restricting the number of true vans coming to the uk and selling a large number of base units to converters.its a win win for vw as they still gets sales without further investment.
I am know lover of mb, never owned a vw. But I do feel that its good that there is a mb. And did you all notice from the video the tested mb was all wheel drive and had a nice sun roof in the top bed roof. What would be more interesting would be if mb had introduced their beach type van into the uk market first. Only time will tale. As capt aubrey said, what fascinating time we live in.

Some may say dated, others say practical and well thought out. Personally i find functionality more important than bling. As you say you have never owned a VW maybe a few weeks may open your eyes to its ease of use and practicality. Others may look for looks but Cali suits me and many more and not rose tinted at all.

I am not saying for one minute that it does not suit some people.but I think that I am correct in thinking that vw are taking their customers for a ride. 1800 for a next to useless out dated sat nav. And if you take the cost of a base model beach with parking heater there is around 6000 for a kitchen smaller then I had in my army flat,and that was small. This level of pricing is only obtained by buyers not demanding better and limitations on the numbers available,its the same sells model used by morgan cars who also produce out dated crap at silly prices.

An AWD MB? Really? I was told today that such a beast does not exist.

I am not saying for one minute that it does not suit some people.but I think that I am correct in thinking that vw are taking their customers for a ride. 1800 for a next to useless out dated sat nav. And if you take the cost of a base model beach with parking heater there is around 6000 for a kitchen smaller then I had in my army flat,and that was small. This level of pricing is only obtained by buyers not demanding better and limitations on the numbers available,its the same sells model used by morgan cars who also produce out dated crap at silly prices.

I was told today that the MP I sat in was worth 62K. In that case it is no more cheaper than an equivalent Cali. They are on a par with price. You choose based on what your lifestyle is, not on price and based on my camper van experience despite the problems that I have had the VW is better suited.

No vehicle is better than the other, just suits a lifestyle better.

Having watched the video, I am absolutely delighted with my Cali Ocean. We use the van a lot in the winter (me particularly) and I love cuddling up in the lower bed with a film on my tablet on a cold dark night (I use the van to visit my ancient parents - my dad has dementia so I can't stay in their house). We find the bottom bed fine for the two of us, but we are both quite slender, so that might account for that.

I was put off the Merc by the poor drawer closing quality, the inflexibility of the positioning of the back seat for the table etc, the faff of setting up the downstairs bed all put me off, plus the enormous amount of room taken up for the table and chairs - the Cali solution for them is brilliant.

Marek's problem with dirt in the runners could be helped by a rug - surprised he didn't think of that!

The only thing I really liked that the Cali doesn't have is the sun roof. That would be nice in the summer.

So, in conclusion, I think the Cali, whilst maybe not so swanky to look at, is much more practical and easy to use. And it is, after all, supposed to be used, and not just looked at!

For me:
Cali Ocean vs Marco Polo -> "It depends", two great cars. At the end personal preferences and "feeling"
Cali Beach vs MP Activity -> I think here VW offers more for less
Cali Beach vs MP Horizon -> I think here the V-Class (2017) is much superior to the T6

At the end, "it depends" what you are looking for and what you are expecting. 5 great models, each on its own way. You can no go wrong with any them.

I have not a van and i'm on the process (painful) of making a decision: Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays i want a Mercedes Horizon 100% sure. But Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays i'm sure i want a Cali Beach.
Sundays I just want to ride my bike :)

Don't forget the competition between VW and Mercedes can only be good for everyone. I wish Toyota and BMW had a model to offer.

An AWD MB? Really? I was told today that such a beast does not exist.
Not in the UK but I don't think Marek was testing a UK spec car because a sun roof isn't an option in the UK either. I believe 4Matic (AWD) is available in other markets at least according to the Daimler media site.

Not in the UK but I don't think Marek was testing a UK spec car because a sun roof isn't an option in the UK either. I believe 4Matic (AWD) is available in other markets at least according to the Daimler media site.

You are clearly well versed on MP, even more well versed than my local dealer. However I was not responding to Marek's video but to another post.

Mb are discounting the marco by using a number of broker's. The mb dealships are next to useless and I have found them in the past very hard to deal with. At the moment I do believe that you can get a fully kitted out mb 250d for 47000 otr using a broker. I really dont have need for a kitchen so waiting for Mercedes to make its next move.

You seem to have an Ocean 2017 model in your avatar description. If so you should know that there are more differences than just a kitchen between a Beach and Ocean. Sorry but I have no problems or complaints with my Ocean. I also have no issues with the Marco Polo which will suit many down to the ground and is a good vehicle and as a daily car would excel.
As for pricing or being taken for a ride - Who can determine costings and you either accept or walk away.
Basically you either accept the model or don't. We have the choice as there are many alternatives and I am very happy with my choice. The wise Granny Jen has given a write up which has much value, given her wide experience and impartiality.
The MP will suit many as will the Cali. Both give us the freedom to travel and explore and that is what it is all about.

Mb are discounting the marco by using a number of broker's. The mb dealships are next to useless and I have found them in the past very hard to deal with. At the moment I do believe that you can get a fully kitted out mb 250d for 47000 otr using a broker. I really dont have need for a kitchen so waiting for Mercedes to make its next move.

When you have no need for a kitchen why do you have a current year ocean?

Thank you, my eyes weren't playing tricks. Is the MP a narrower vehicle? I felt it was, narrower and longer. I came back to Albert and whilst the MP may sit like a well groomed greyhound Albert was sat in the car park like a well built bulldog. The lower bed seemed narrower yet so did the kitchen so where has the width gone?

The MP is narrower externally than the Cali (2,249mm compared to 2,283mm) and not as tall but longer. According to the MP ebrochure the lower bed width is 1,130mm measured across the base of the seats; exactly the same width as the top bed.

Don't hold your breath!
Maybe it's not the MB Dealerships that are problematic.

Been following this thread with interest as we are currently without a Cali or a MB MP. I like the idea of the MP, it looks dead swish and has loads more toys as standard, but there are a few big problems on what I have seen so far.

1 - The downstairs bed appears to take ages to convert from seat to bed (also it appears you have to manually take the head rests out rather than just flip them down)

2 - No inverter, I never used it that much in the Cali, but it was useful occasionally

3 - clipping the upstairs roof to the the rising roof is just an extra thing to mess about with - and I will forget

4 - No heater as standard - and expensive to add

5 - The chairs and the table - these are the single coolest thing about a Cali - when doing a demo of our old SE to friend the chairs in the boot were the biggest winner!

The winners for the MB are:

1 - Toys - the tech does look much more 21st century

2 - The split tailgate is a good idea

3 - Electric door and tailgate are cool - I was always a fan of the electric door in the Cali and it never gave me any problems - these probably come under the toy category...

Whilst I am outside the camper market I am happy that the MB might give VW a kick up the bum - so the next Cali might have more gadgets - however it might well be £70k!!!

Been following this thread with interest as we are currently without a Cali or a MB MP. I like the idea of the MP, it looks dead swish and has loads more toys as standard, but there are a few big problems on what I have seen so far.

1 - The downstairs bed appears to take ages to convert from seat to bed (also it appears you have to manually take the head rests out rather than just flip them down)

2 - No inverter, I never used it that much in the Cali, but it was useful occasionally

3 - clipping the upstairs roof to the the rising roof is just an extra thing to mess about with - and I will forget

4 - No heater as standard - and expensive to add

5 - The chairs and the table - these are the single coolest thing about a Cali - when doing a demo of our old SE to friend the chairs in the boot were the biggest winner!

The winners for the MB are:

1 - Toys - the tech does look much more 21st century

2 - The split tailgate is a good idea

3 - Electric door and tailgate are cool - I was always a fan of the electric door in the Cali and it never gave me any problems - these probably come under the toy category...

Whilst I am outside the camper market I am happy that the MB might give VW a kick up the bum - so the next Cali might have more gadgets - however it might well be £70k!!!

Tons there that I agree with. The seat originally I laughed at, who gives a stuff over a few seconds, but the when I decide it's time to quit for the night, I have cleaned my teeth, I am sleeping downstairs because the weather is crap upstairs, ... ok, decision made, clear a space, sit on it, move it, flatten it, roll over the duvet.... job done. It would irritate me to hell having to wait.

My "arrive" routine: Raise the roof, step into back, put shoulders to bed panel stand up fully and just waft the bed into position. no frigging around with clips. Then of course I may want to put my bedding up there, make my bed and still have standing room, the infinitely variable gas struts are a godsend,

No boot. Great in winter when I'm unlikely to want table and chairs, crap the rest of the time.

On the other side, just so much more of a sophisticated driving vehicle than the "by comparison" agricultural Cali. However I like Agricultural, it's a camper.

It's a great vehicle. It's going to cost VW in business, Not a bad thing. They might even wake up to the fact we are called customers and not mugs.

I'm taking one away for the weekend so I will see how it goes.

Tons there that I agree with. The seat originally I laughed at, who gives a stuff over a few seconds, but the when I decide it's time to quit for the night, I have cleaned my teeth, I am sleeping downstairs because the weather is crap upstairs, ... ok, decision made, clear a space, sit on it, move it, flatten it, roll over the duvet.... job done. It would irritate me to hell having to wait.

My "arrive" routine: Raise the roof, step into back, put shoulders to bed panel stand up fully and just waft the bed into position. no frigging around with clips. Then of course I may want to put my bedding up there, make my bed and still have standing room, the infinitely variable gas struts are a godsend,

No boot. Great in winter when I'm unlikely to want table and chairs, crap the rest of the time.

On the other side, just so much more of a sophisticated driving vehicle than the "by comparison" agricultural Cali. However I like Agricultural, it's a camper.

It's a great vehicle. It's going to cost VW in business, Not a bad thing. They might even wake up to the fact we are called customers and not mugs.

Love the shoulders to bed panel description! Sums it up exactly.

California Depreciation is the lowest I have ever experienced long may it last. My T5 lost 5k in 38 months and 43000miles. Which is one reason I have purchased a T6 and love it to bits ( they must be doing something right) .The Mp is a credible 1st attempt from MB but if it is aimed directly at the California then imo it falls a bit short . Most California owners want something tried and tested,utilitarian and rugged with a little street cred and some prestige thrown in .I am sure MB has done its homework and research and maybe there is another market emerging that wants this pristine type of camper but at the moment I think the motivation to buy one is either A.To be different B.Brand loyalty or C.price ,it seems MB dealers are not ready/ don't want to sell it / don't know how to sell it which means you can get all the money off it They are also specing them up like the cars Black / cream leather /piano black ,looks great but totally impractical imo ,but given time I am sure they will come to grips with it and the competition should be good for us all.

Back