Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

The seat could be made more comfortable for sleeping. The multiflex could be improved, different finishes on interior plastics, improvements to the roof to help avoid trapping the fabric. The blinds could be improved, the handbrake fouling swivel seats is another issue, has roof corrosion been sorted...??? Roof bed could be made more comfortable.
Still lots that can be improved.
The T6 got a shiny dashboard and some extra lights. It needed a lot more...!!!
That's what YOU want. Not necessarily others.
For me the bed mattresses are fine. I have no problems with the multiplex. Interior is fine by me. Roof - well I read the manual and take care so for me not a problem. Rarely turn Drivers seat but when I do I don't find having to release the handbrake a problem. Blinds no problem. Roof Corrosion, who knows. But then there are only 2 of us.
VW must be doing something right or we wouldn't have these massive delivery delays averaging months.

That's what YOU want. Not necessarily others.
For me the bed mattresses are fine. I have no problems with the multiplex. Interior is fine by me. Roof - well I read the manual and take care so for me not a problem. Rarely turn Drivers seat but when I do I don't find having to release the handbrake a problem. Blinds no problem. Roof Corrosion, who knows. But then there are only 2 of us.
VW must be doing something right or we wouldn't have these massive delivery delays averaging months.

Really???
How many threads are there on this forum with regards to blinds not staying down, recommend me a mattress topper and the frustration with not being able to turn the drivers seat without hitting the handbrake. To say its just me is silly...!!!
Its sounds like you feel the need to justify your own purchase. However my angle is a fair assessment from actual ownership and use. The Cali does a lot of good things, but there is definitely room for improvement by Volkswagen.

As for the long waiting times. They haven't got any competition, hence why the van conversion segment is booming.
As said, with MB entering the arena and currently out selling Volkswagen its going to make things very interesting.

Love the idea of curtains instead of blinds, much easier to customise to fun colours and the Cali blinds are a very fragile design and are very expensive to have repaired out of warranty

Yes I agree.
When I first bought mine I really liked the idea. But now, would prefer an actual set of curtains which can be customised and stay shut. They are another example of something that is over-engineered by Volkswagen.

Read all this before I bought. However, I have always applied the 80/20 rule of life or as my Granny would call it : The Curates Egg. Eg. The California is 80% good and 20% bad. I can live very comfortably with that. I have some bad news for anyone who expects 100% good. Sit up and listen carefully : "IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!". Never ,ever ,ever. Pooh happens get over it!

Contacted MB on Friday at the Brooklands HQ (so we could go and have a look - nothing more) and they had no idea when they are going to get a Marco Polo in if at all. They said they'd call back by the end of the day with some more information - still awaiting the call...

Contacted MB on Friday at the Brooklands HQ (so we could go and have a look - nothing more) and they had no idea when they are going to get a Marco Polo in if at all. They said they'd call back by the end of the day with some more information - still awaiting the call...

We went to Toyota Cardiff clutching a cheque for £120000 to buy an IQ and arranged for a call back to arrange a test drive four years ago. I am still sat by the phone waiting... Do you think I ought to ring them?

Really???
How many threads are there on this forum with regards to blinds not staying down, recommend me a mattress topper and the frustration with not being able to turn the drivers seat without hitting the handbrake. To say its just me is silly...!!!
Its sounds like you feel the need to justify your own purchase. However my angle is a fair assessment from actual ownership and use. The Cali does a lot of good things, but there is definitely room for improvement by Volkswagen.
Never said it was JUST you, but that they were your complaints and not necessarily everyone else's. My blinds stay down and I've never hit the handbrake. I don't need a Topper as we use the Comfort Mattress with a Duvet.
Of course there are numerous threads on various topics, but how many individual posters compared with the number of Forum members compared with the number of vehicles sold.
It has been said many times before, people with a grievance post on Forums, those without rarely bother.
So just to set the record straight, you have many grievances and complaints, fine. Unfortunately I cannot agree with you as I have none so far and if it was written off tomorrow I would go and buy the exact same spec if I could.

I have no need to justify my ownership as I have no complaints and after over 250 nights and 40,000 miles in 2 years in this vehicle I think I am qualified to make that comment.

We went to Toyota Cardiff clutching a cheque for £120000 to buy an IQ and arranged for a call back to arrange a test drive four years ago. I am still sat by the phone waiting... Do you think I ought to ring them?
I think if you were prepared to pay that much they would have visited in person.:D

Do you like your California - yes, great. No - sell it. The sound of axes being ground is deafening. This thread is just a forum for argument.

Never said it was JUST you, but that they were your complaints and not necessarily everyone else's. My blinds stay down and I've never hit the handbrake. I don't need a Topper as we use the Comfort Mattress with a Duvet.
Of course there are numerous threads on various topics, but how many individual posters compared with the number of Forum members compared with the number of vehicles sold.
It has been said many times before, people with a grievance post on Forums, those without rarely bother.
So just to set the record straight, you have many grievances and complaints, fine. Unfortunately I cannot agree with you as I have none so far and if it was written off tomorrow I would go and buy the exact same spec if I could.

I have no need to justify my ownership as I have no complaints and after over 250 nights and 40,000 miles in 2 years in this vehicle I think I am qualified to make that comment.
I think if you were prepared to pay that much they would have visited in person.:D

We wanted lots of accessories Mr Clever Clogs....x

The rear bench should have been redesigned along the same lines as the RIB and Reimo units, so you sit in safety on firm materials on one side, and it flips over to present a soft side to sleep on. Saving you having to carry a mattress topper. That would be a real step forward for a seat that hasn't changed in 13 years.

Do you like your California - yes, great. No - sell it. The sound of axes being ground is deafening. This thread is just a forum for argument.

Not really the correct attitude is it...?
I myself see and have experienced fantastic features on my Cali and the reasons why I bought one in the first instance continue to win me over. However, that doesn't mean I cant see improvements that could be and should be made to the California which would cement its place as a class leader.

The rear bench should have been redesigned along the same lines as the RIB and Reimo units, so you sit in safety on firm materials on one side, and it flips over to present a soft side to sleep on. Saving you having to carry a mattress topper. That would be a real step forward for a seat that hasn't changed in 13 years.

Yes.
Its this forward thinking we need, although my friend has a RIB and he still needs a topper and your feet dangle off it even when your almost 6ft. So improvements could be made to that product, but like the idea of a seat that flips and has a comfortable underside to sleep on.
The California basics should be improved before we start adding high tech driverless options etc etc
:talktothehand

and your feet dangle off it even when your almost 6ft.
Yeah I feared that - although it has nothing to do with the fact it flips, as the seat cushion and back seem similar lengths to the current Cali seat. If I build my own van and keep a conventional layout, I'll be buying the latest Reimo 333 seat. If I go for an unconventional layout, all bets are off!

Last edited:
Not really the correct attitude is it...?
I myself see and have experienced fantastic features on my Cali and the reasons why I bought one in the first instance continue to win me over. However, that doesn't mean I cant see improvements that could be and should be made to the California which would cement its place as a class leader.
Consider my wrist slapped for having "attitude":) only whilst some of the comments here are objective it seem some are here only to cast stones. Peas and luff.

Window blinds were a notable improvement on the VW but the front windscreen uses a curtain affair which we did not break out of its plastic to try much as we wished to.

To balance things up a bit the controller for the roof/fridge/timer etc, unlike the VW is low down on the central console and I am absolutely sure it's knob would be kicked right off in year1.

We tried the seats (which are heated, of course) - pretty much the first thing we did because the fouling the handbrake issue on the Dub is just daft. They swivel a treat and latch in an additional 30-degree angle which is quite nice.

Time for another pic?

DSCF7030.JPG
You can just see the controller knob I was talking about under the nav controller binnacle.

Yeah I feared that - although it has nothing to do with the fact it flips, as the seat cushion and back seem similar lengths to the current Cali seat. If I build my own van and keep a conventional layout, I'll be buying the latest Reimo 333 seat. If I go for an unconventional layout, all bets are off!

Yes, just read back. My mistake. Its in the seated position his feet barely touch the floor, the seat is very high. Not sure as a bed, I could ask him see if he fits ok. I do know he bought a topper same as I have, which made it very comfortable. Its also in a fixed position which is a massive negative. The California seat on the rails is a big plus point. I am always moving mine to accommodate extra luggage or when in use camping.

Window blinds were a notable improvement on the VW but the front windscreen uses a curtain affair which we did not break out of its plastic to try much as we wished to.

To balance things up a bit the controller for the roof/fridge/timer etc, unlike the VW is low down on the central console and I am absolutely sure it's knob would be kicked right off in year1.

We tried the seats (which are heated, of course) - pretty much the first thing we did because the fouling the handbrake issue on the Dub is just daft. They swivel a treat and latch in an additional 30-degree angle which is quite nice.

Time for another pic?

View attachment 18530
You can just see the controller knob I was talking about under the nav controller binnacle.

Keep the pictures coming, they're great to see and compare :thumb

In danger of dragging us off topic, here is the nice 3 seater Reimo seat. 2m long, sleep on the back, sit on the front, head rests, and on this one, a great hatch allowing you to grab stuff from the boot whilst lying on the made up bed. It slides, and has under seat drawers, table CAN be attached to it.
No development to the vw seat in 13 years is a sign of a lack of commitment to the Cali,and bringing us back to topic, a reason to welcome the Marco Polo to help vw focus.

Last edited:
Here is a real (ie not a marketing dept wet dream version) Marco Polo. (in NL not UK). http://www.poptop.nl/aanbod/nieuwe-mercedes-v-klasse-marco-polo/

Edit: This one appears to have a manual roof, whereas the brochure perhaps hinted that the full camper version got the electric/hydraulic affair. Another 'plus' if that's true.

Last edited:
Loving the split glass sink, this is something Cali owners have been asking for, for years. This along with the opening tailgate window, electric parking brake and leather as standard makes it a real contender when I come to change. Also looks like the bellows folds in so less risk of getting trapped.

Best of all the interior and floor in not GREY!!!

Back