Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

At approx £67,500 for a 1,000kms 2016 model makes UK prices seem better.
(based on today's dire euro/sterling rate)
All the vans in NL are expensive. Just look at the rest of their stock.

Looking in more detail, it appears in this photo that the rear seat is split slightly unevenly (55/45?) and may even allow just one side to be made into a bed, the other side left up????? That would be handy for billynomates like me, who fancy a nap mid afternoon whilst retaining somewhere to sit and drink wine later.
V-klasse-Marco-Polo-img_5499.jpg

I really like the rear window opening up like that. I can imagine lying downstairs and getting the fresh air in on a warm summers morning. :)

We are looking to change this year and the Marco Polo is a serious contender for us as like many we have had so many problems with VW over the past few years, I realise the grass is not always greener on the other side by I have much more faith in Westfalia than I do Volkswagen. As many have pointed out, the only thing letting it down for me is the outdoor seat storage but all the other plus points outweigh that for me, especially things like the leather, floor covering, split seats, roof canvas, EPB etc.

My only worry is there is no forum for the Marco Polo so where will I get my fix of MP chat, I guess I could just stay on here and pretend I have a Cali

We are looking to change this year and the Marco Polo is a serious contender for us as like many we have had so many problems with VW over the past few years, I realise the grass is not always greener on the other side by I have much more faith in Westfalia than I do Volkswagen. As many have pointed out, the only thing letting it down for me is the outdoor seat storage but all the other plus points outweigh that for me, especially things like the leather, floor covering, split seats, roof canvas, EPB etc.

My only worry is there is no forum for the Marco Polo so where will I get my fix of MP chat, I guess I could just stay on here and pretend I have a Cali
There are Vito & Mercedes Forums. Quick look suggests that it has similar topics such as ride/suspension, air conn probs & poor headlights etc.
They may make interesting reading once the MP has numerous UK Owners. That could be a few years .:Depressed

That's the rub, the California is just iconic, they are much more than just a van conversion. I looked across the market in depth before buying. Wellhouse for instance uses the Transit Custom and the Merc for some of their conversions, but the dash in both cases was basic van and I thought the rear seat/table combo was a pain in practice.
I am sure the Marco Polo is an excellent option but it just isn't cute, walking towards the Cali lifts my spirits every time, priceless.

I really like the rear window opening up like that. I can imagine lying downstairs and getting the fresh air in on a warm summers morning. :)

We had this on an old Renault Scenic, it was great feature I found it really handy. As you say to be able to open it on a while wild camping would be ideal.

.. message blah...

Good thing about no forum is it means there won't be any problems

Mike

You don't camp in the UK then? ;)

Having got shot of two Mercedes cars in recent years, both mainly because of developing auto gear box issues, I personally would be wary about writing a cheque for one without a lot of research first. According to the posts on the forums that I have briefly visited, Mercedes commercial vehicles have their share of issues just like any other van.

The other issue I have is it's heritage or rather the lack of it. It seems to me that unlike the VW Cali which has very strong well establish camper van DNA running through it, the Marco Polo's heritage mainly comes from previous generations of hard working, battered and often badly rusting delivery vans.
Having purchased an iconic Cali our status with the younger members of our familly has been upgraded from being just a pair of old crusties to cooler than cool. I don't think that buying a MP will attract this same degree kudos. But then again perhaps I am just an old crusty.

I am not saying that I completely dislike what I have seen of the MP or that I wouldn't consider one if or when the time comes to change but having owned several recent model Mercedes Benz motor cars in the past I no longer see them as being that much better than their rivals.

Last edited:
Another couple of taster videos for interested parties:

More glitzy than infomative:

This one seems to be an independent review, although older:

...messsage ends...

Interesting this thread has had over 10,000 people view it in less than four weeks so there must be quite a few people curious out there.

The main reason I would consider the Marco Polo is because of Westfalia, if it was made in the Mercedes factory I would not touch it.

I don't think there s much I can say until I have sat in one.

It is probably too long for me anyway but having lived in Albert for the last three days I am back in love and would't wish to change.

However that could all change again when I sit in a Marco Polo, who knows :shocked

Hmmm, I love the comments on this subject. We were looking at the Mercedes at the time and there where some items we did and did not like.

- storage space was a ver important one.
The way the chairs are stored in the Mercedes is taking away a lot of storage space in the boot.
- wood versus plastic flooring (scratches, dirt, etc)
- I drove a C250 bluetec at the time and loved the drive (still miss that car) but the 4 wheel drive option with a reasonable engine was available in the VW too.
- 3rd party addons for the van.
- lenght of the vehicle.
- history of the cali.

These are just a few reasons we bought a california.

Interesting this thread has had over 10,000 people view it
We just passed 10,000 members, looks like we've all had a peek!

Shh ... Don't tell MB :Stig

Looks to be a few issues with that MP. The journo seemed to struggle moving and collapsing the seat/bed. Even the swivel seats looked a little awkward. However the lack of storage and the seat and table issue are a real concern if I were looking to purchase one.
The roof looks better than the Cali, again need to see all this stuff with my own eyes to see how good or bad it really is.

Thought of another improvement for the Cali.
Replace the sliding blinds with mozzie guards that slide down and add additional curtains. That would be cool. Also, really like the split tailgate on the MP. That would be awesome

Looks to be a few issues with that MP. The journo seemed to struggle moving and collapsing the seat/bed. Even the swivel seats looked a little awkward. However the lack of storage and the seat and table issue are a real concern if I were looking to purchase one.
The roof looks better than the Cali, again need to see all this stuff with my own eyes to see how good or bad it really is.

Thought of another improvement for the Cali.
Replace the sliding blinds with mozzie guards that slide down and add additional curtains. That would be cool. Also, really like the split tailgate on the MP. That would be awesome

When I went to last years show at the NEC there were far more camper vans than previous years of varying makes. One thing which really stood out for me was the great difference between the beefy roof operating and support bars on the VW pop top in comparison to others. Most look quite flimsy compared to the VW which really look as though they mean business.

When I went to last years show at the NEC there were far more camper vans than previous years of varying makes. One thing which really stood out for me was the great difference between the beefy roof operating and support bars on the VW pop top in comparison to others. Most look quite flimsy compared to the VW which really look as though they mean business.

Yes I know what you mean.
It's what swayed our decision towards the Cali. Even the very best aftermarket roofs weren't as well finished as that on the California.
The MP does look good quality. Would need to see in the flesh to compare

I think many owners would disagree re roof quality. Looks nice but overengineered and causing many owners heartache with corrosion.

I think many owners would disagree re roof quality. Looks nice but overengineered and causing many owners heartache with corrosion.

I've said for a long time the electric roof is over engineered. The manual on the Beach is the best out there at the moment.
Now, if they could sort out the corrosion issue and perhaps aid the bellows folding in somehow when closing. It would be super.

Boot lids which close themselves ( I happen to have two hands). Tefal actifry (Who needs to spend £200 on a chip stirer. Again I have two hands). Windscreen wipers which turn on when it rains(Again I have two hands and two eyes). Car seats which adjust themselves... I could go on and on. All solutions to problems which do not exist. All adding to the cost and all costing horrendous amounts of wonga when they go wrong. Perhaps the clue they are offered is in the last sentence.

This is the VW California Forum. If you guys like the MB Marco Polo then go to a MB Marco Polo Forum....
This seems to me like a useful, well-balanced thread, examining the good and bad points of both vehicles. To pledge loyalty only to the Cali is just reinforcing VW's current complacent attitude towards quality control and customer service. I love my Cali but it has some annoying faults that could have been easily rectified before it left the factory. Bring on the competition!

As said before, this forum has two types of punter, those that are VDubbers (and nothing else is the same) and those who just happen to own a Cali and will probably end up with a Great White.

Back