Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MY19 on order

Worth reading the other thread on this : https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/2019-build.24529/#post-286348
As the commentary on the above Parkers photo pointed more towards a T7 mule vehicle .... with a consensus that whatever changes could happen - they won't be that ugly. The thing that does surprise me though is that the MY19 vehicles are being manufactured NOW - so really strange that we are still debating whether there are any changes. Really slack of the VW marketing engine IMO.

Our CaliO (which we ordered in May) is being built this week; I asked our dealer today for an update and also asked about what changes we should expect to see (if any); he said the only change they have been made aware of by VW is a slight reduction in BHP (199, down from 204); I asked him about the grill in the above pic about a month or so ago and he told me this was being considered for the a future Transporter range, not the Cali (well not T6 Cali).

I agree with the above comment though, MY19 is in production "now" yet there is little to no information about it; they've not even updated their brochures or any other official marketing materials.

I think the problem (in part) comes down to the fact that VW sell Cali's through their commercial division; it is about time VW moved them over to retail; clearly VWCV sell a lot of Transporters to businesses but my guess that the vast majority of Cali's are sold to individuals.

Anyway, some folks will be taking delivery of their MY19 Cali's in the next few weeks so we are all going to find out pretty soon ;)

no picture , just description -

Driver's side wing mirror changes from aspherical to convex

To me that implies the actual mirror glass is different rather then the shape of the mirror being different especially when its states driver side. As some vehicle will have a aspherical mirror one side and a convex mirror on the other.

The only other MY19 change I've seen/heard about on the Ocean is the moulded plastic pockets on the slim sliding blind above the fridge.

when we see a MY19 vehicle, I will let you know..as a dealer - I haven't heard about the pockets in the blind, but sometimes vehicles change spec whilst in production and we only get told about them later...

dscf4320-jpg.34403

No its a pic I saved that I believe was taken at a factory tour? Weirdly the blind is pictured looking like this in my My18 handbook

Probably been an option in Germany for ages and it's finally going to trickle over. Will it really have much purpose?

They probably saw the Brandrup pockets and thought, thats not a bad idea. You can fit sod all in them too!

We just ordered a new Cali Ocean last week, paid the deposit (£2000 in our case because of the options we included) and according to our dealer our order is now locked in at today's prices and so the price of the Cali itself will not change, even if VW increase the Cali pricing between now and delivery.

The one thing they did say might change is the VED although for us given we are close to being in the top bracket anyway then any VED increases are very unlikely (year 1 is £1760 and years 2 thru' 5 are £450); for this we had to sign a "Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicles Test Procedure" (WLTP) form; this form just basically says that due to emissions testing the road tax could go up and lead times could be extended.

As far as build dates and therefore delivery dates go, our dealer said that nobody who orders a Cali between now and August will get a firm build date until at least some time in August because this is when the production schedule for the MY19 spec will worked out; our dealer suggested that VW will determine the build week for our Cali in August which will then determine the delivery date; he explained that it could be anything between 2 and 6 months.

If we get a firm delivery date that is in Q4 of this year then we will take delivery as soon as it arrives with the dealer but if delivery goes into Q1 of next year then I will tell the dealer to delay registering the Cali until March 1st 2019.
Hi - I just thought I would check in as you ordered a new Cali the same week that I did ....I was told that mine had entered build phase around a month ago.... though it has to find its way to NZ. I ...When are you expecting yours to be delivered in the UK? Thanks

Hi - I just thought I would check in as you ordered a new Cali the same week that I did ....I was told that mine had entered build phase around a month ago.... though it has to find its way to NZ. I ...When are you expecting yours to be delivered in the UK? Thanks

Yes I remember seeing you post about your order on or around the time we ordered; your CaliO is almost a carbon copy of our in terms of spec but your's is the two-tone blue whereas we've gone for red ;)

I spoke to my dealer about a week ago looking for an update and this is what he said...
  • Our Cali was in the build schedule for week 34 thru 39
  • They expect it to leave the factory first week in October
  • They expect it to arrive at dealership in the UK last week in October
  • At this point they want me to go view the Cali and "sign-off" on it before they add dealer options
  • I can collect it about a week later once all dealer options have been fitted
As of last week, the dealer was not aware of any WLTP related issues that would delay things but he said that this was no guarantee that there wouldn't be any.

So, all being well we should have our Cali the first week in November :thumb

Great thanks for the info. Given we are so looking forward to our weekend warrior - I thought I would check. (As the dealer does not have a clue). Ok so they don't just get build them in a week then! I thought it would be quite a quick turn around once they enter build phase. If you are seeing yours late October ish, then I don't think I will see the Cali in New Zealand before Xmas. Well it will be tight - so it delivery is going to be into December, if so, I will insist that it is registered for 2019. Given you are going into winter - I suppose you are less worried about delivery! We want to make the most of our summer!

Last edited:
I myself also thought that it would be in the build phase for perhaps a week but it seems this may not the case; my dealer said mine will be "in build" from week 34 thru 39 (maybe build time depends on spec); although I guess there is no way of knowing for sure how long they actually take to build; it could be that VW schedule the build to take place anytime between weeks "34 and 39" but the actual process of building it might only be a couple of weeks.

Anyway, I guess I won't really know for sure until it actually arrives at the dealership but I am hopeful it will work out as per what the dealer said it would.

I originally told my dealer that so long as we get it before spring 2019 (because here in the UK we get "summer" at the proper time of year ;)) then I'd be happy so given we might get it late October/early November then this is a bonus really.

Your Cali does have a long way to travel once it leaves the factory and so I would guess that delivery does in fact take much longer; I did a little research (as it relates to shipping from the UK to NZ which might be similar to shipping from Germany) and from what I can tell, typical shipping times for a vehicle using a "container" service takes up to 38 days whereas what they call a "roll on roll off" type of shipping takes up to 85 days. Maybe somebody on here knows how VW ship vehicles to NZ and they can help provide more information. Alternatively go onto the VW website and start a chat session and ask the question on there.

In any case, I hope you take delivery of your two-tone beauty soon and in time for winter, er I mean summer :thumb

Don’t forget it is a 2 process build.
Vehicle and cab - roof is built in one factory then transported across town to a second factory where the roof and interior is fitted so I can quit see that the build could take 5 weeks. There is a video of the build process on the Forum and Youtube.

Don’t forget it is a 2 process build.
Vehicle and cab - roof is built in one factory then transported across town to a second factory where the roof and interior is fitted so I can quit see that the build could take 5 weeks. There is a video of the build process on the Forum and Youtube.
Thats a good point. I have heard back from the Dealer who says I would expect to get the Cali early November (if you can believe that! - it would be a miracle given the travel involved). So won't hold my breath on that one.. Maybe they give priority to vehicles that are heading into a proper summer ... hah hah :thumb

hehe, perhaps you are right :D

I've got my fingers crossed for you :thumb
An update ... I've had a call to say that our new Cali has arrived in the Country ... so thats a good sign. I should see if before the end of the month. 'IF' that happens - then thats been a very good turn around from the build date of early August time frame - and getting to NZ! . How are you going with your new one ... I still have yet to get any pictures on any changes ... so hopefully someone will post any updates re MY19 soon. As an aside, I have been researching into 'paint protection' - and have decided to get a third party to cover the full front of the Cali in 3M - plus top of rear bumper. As my last one got knocked around a bit with stone chips etc (we do have some variable country roads) - and so the paint protection/wrap seems to be the best way to go. Have you thought about that?

An update ... I've had a call to say that our new Cali has arrived in the Country ... so thats a good sign. I should see if before the end of the month. 'IF' that happens - then thats been a very good turn around from the build date of early August time frame - and getting to NZ! . How are you going with your new one ... I still have yet to get any pictures on any changes ... so hopefully someone will post any updates re MY19 soon. As an aside, I have been researching into 'paint protection' - and have decided to get a third party to cover the full front of the Cali in 3M - plus top of rear bumper. As my last one got knocked around a bit with stone chips etc (we do have some variable country roads) - and so the paint protection/wrap seems to be the best way to go. Have you thought about that?

I’m in NZ awaiting my Cali also. I’m told it will arrive late November - I asked the dealer about the European relays and evidently it doesn’t apply to our cars as they are being exported out of Europe.

So it seems you were right, VW are shipping out to locations with a "proper" summer first ;) (perhaps regulation is a little more relaxed for your part of the World).

Mine is down for a tentative shipping in week 52 with a view to taking delivery mid to late January and it is give or take the same spec as yours and I ordered at around the same time as you (back in May) and I had the same build time as you (August); it was supposed to be with me next week or the week after but a few weeks ago they pushed it back by a month and then a week or so later they pushed it back a further 2 months (at least).

Anyway, awesome news!! Once your Cali arrives, be sure to post some pics :thumb

As for paint protection, I'm not planning on wrapping the front (yet) but I do intend to to have a few key area covered with film (under door handles, around sliding door track...etc) and I've paid for rear bump guard and a few other bits n bats.

I myself also thought that it would be in the build phase for perhaps a week but it seems this may not the case; my dealer said mine will be "in build" from week 34 thru 39 (maybe build time depends on spec); although I guess there is no way of knowing for sure how long they actually take to build; it could be that VW schedule the build to take place anytime between weeks "34 and 39" but the actual process of building it might only be a couple of weeks.

Anyway, I guess I won't really know for sure until it actually arrives at the dealership but I am hopeful it will work out as per what the dealer said it would.

I originally told my dealer that so long as we get it before spring 2019 (because here in the UK we get "summer" at the proper time of year ;)) then I'd be happy so given we might get it late October/early November then this is a bonus really.

Your Cali does have a long way to travel once it leaves the factory and so I would guess that delivery does in fact take much longer; I did a little research (as it relates to shipping from the UK to NZ which might be similar to shipping from Germany) and from what I can tell, typical shipping times for a vehicle using a "container" service takes up to 38 days whereas what they call a "roll on roll off" type of shipping takes up to 85 days. Maybe somebody on here knows how VW ship vehicles to NZ and they can help provide more information. Alternatively go onto the VW website and start a chat session and ask the question on there.

In any case, I hope you take delivery of your two-tone beauty soon and in time for winter, er I mean summer :thumb

When your van finally arrives looking forward to the pictures as I will be ordering identical spec less electric door and variable ride height